NGD! (w/questions regarding my purchase) - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 11th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

NGD! (w/questions regarding my purchase)

Well, last Friday I pulled the trigger on a new MIJ Fender '62 Custom Telecaster RI. I've owned a partscaster and a T-style from another manufacturer, but this is my first real authentic Fender Tele. I'm pretty happy with her. Love the way she looks. Plays nice and has twang for days, but I think she could benefit from a pro setup with some 10's (pretty sure has 9's on her now).

I would like to ask you guys a few questions. According to The Description on eBay (which is where I bought it) its "brand new" guitar. But when researched the serial number (starts with U followed by 6 digits) I get the following information:

Your guitar was made at the
Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
in the Year(s): 1995 - 1996

Well what a surprise, my "new" guitar is approximately 16 to 17 years old!

It came packaged in a triangle shaped box marked Fender Japan which was inside a larger Fender box. I thought it was rather odd that it came with no documentation of any kind, no warranty card, no owners manual, nothing (except an inspector/shipping tag hanging from one of the tuners).

I've attached some pics below to show she looks brand new. There's plastic still on the pickguard and neck pup. The neck pocket is nice and tight and I cant find a scratch or ding anywhere. But I'd like to know what y'all think about no documentation and the fact that the serial number indicates she's a 95 - 96 model year.

By the way, I just happened to look and the same seller just posted another black MIJ 62 Custom. Unlike the one I bought from him, his BIN price is $100 more on this one, but this one states:

THIS GUITAR WAS A VERY LIMITED 2009 RUN AND IS MADE IN JAPAN,THIS IS NOT THE 1990'S EDITION, OR CRAFTED IN JAPAN ,THIS IS THE LAST BLACK ONE AVAILABLE

It kind of bothers me that he states its NOT a 1990's edition but conveniently left out of the description of the guitar I bought that it IS a 1990's model. So again, I'd really appreciate comments on my new guitar and what y'all think of the sellers practices. By the way, I'm still within the sellers 3 day return policy.

Night Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

everything ive ever heard says that the 90s models are the best as far as craftsmanship and sound. the guitar looks good so thats a plus...if you like the way it sounds then its a winner! i dont know how much i like those thins necks though but eh...and keep the 9's on there!!!!!
johnthatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Can't help you on whether it's new or old, but damn, it's a great-looking guitar.
nadzab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

you were sold a new guitar......so where is the manual, warranty card and related paperwork? New Old Stock from a reputable dealer should include that stuff. The 2011 Vintage guitar price guide says that in 1984-1999 this model (MIJ) came in sunburst or red with rosewood board and bound on the front and back and should go for 525 to 650 for a model in excellent condition. I'm doing dialysis and can't check my Gruhn's book but I would personally send it back as there are too many inconsistencies for me to be comfortable.
2006 Fender American Series Telecaster, 2006 60th Anniversary American Stratocaster, 2009 Martin MMV, 2009 Martin 000-15 Mahogany, 2006 Martin 000-16 GT, Blues Junior Series II with some BillM mods, Fender SuperChamp XD amplifier, Fender Champion 600
Kyluckyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

As I stated, no documentation or paper work at all. And its definitely not sunburst or red. So its a fake?

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My experience with Fender in the past is that they don't like seeing anyone get screwed over their name. You could email them the serial and they'll tell you exactly what that serial numbers tells them.

I asked TDPRI members about a Tele available from a local seller. The fine folks here tipped me off that it might be a Partscaster. I emailed Fender and suspicions were confirmed, it was not original. It was supposed to have gold hardware and a black double bound body like you have there but mine was sunburst with chrome hardware. I ended up buying it anyway, but only after I knew what I was buying and how much the parts were worth. My serial # is U + 6 digits like the serial you have. Doesn't tell you anything about the body.

Email Fender the serial. They'll tell you what the deal is.

I'm guessing the one you have there looks like it should have a headstock like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tele1_head.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	108820  
bbmyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I guess that's what I'll have to do. I have seen pics of black ones just like mine but they seem to be mid 2000 models. I also read that the serial numbers can actually start over, so perhaps the U could also be used for mid 2000 models?

Here's a 2006 MIJ 62 Custom which looks to have had the saddles upgraded but otherwise looks exactly like mine.

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Prowler View Post
I guess that's what I'll have to do. I have seen pics of black ones just like mine but they seem to be mid 2000 models. I also read that the serial numbers can actually start over, so perhaps the U could also be used for mid 2000 models?

Here's a 2006 MIJ 62 Custom which looks to have had the saddles upgraded but otherwise looks exactly like mine.
According to Fender, my serial # was the 95-96 vintage and there was no confusion as to when the neck and serial number were produced. It was a 60's reissue model. It would just be too confusing. You can PM me your serial number and I can tell if it's at least similar to my #. Keep us posted either way, I'm interested in the outcome. The ebay ad says he is a authorized Fender dealer so you should be ok either way.
bbmyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

That guitar is friggin gorgeous. Nice find.
Delta Blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

looks like the neck says MADE IN JAPAN not, Crafted in Japan. didn't they just recently go back to "made in japan"? maybe it is new???

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

It is a good looking guitar. I would be asking all these questions to the seller. He should have listed it as New Old Stock or something. Assuming it is legit, I would actually rather have the old guitar. You have a 15 year head start on a vintage model. Should prove to be very stable as to neck warps or anything.
SamClemons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I don't know what it is, but I sure couldn't send it back. The thing is awesome.

P
Phelonious Ponk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Did you take the neck off yet? Check what's printed/written in the pocket and on the heel. Post pics of that; there are plenty of guys on the forum who can tell you a lot from that.

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't return that if you held a gun to my head. That said F-Japan makes so many different models it may be hard to say what it should or shouldn't look like. The documentation thing is a bit odd but if its been hanging around in a back room for that long, that stuff could have been easily misplaced.

What it all boils down to is this: Do you feel like you've been screwed? If so you'll never lose that feeling so best to return it.

Personally, as long as its a legit guitar and you like it, I wouldn't worry about the papers.
chipbutty24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

One other thing. AFAIK Fender Japan guitars are not called "reissues" however many label them as such. Actual bound 62ri's say "Custom Telecaster" on the headstock. Not sure if yours doesn't b/c it's a Japanese guitar or if maybe the neck is from another guitar.
chipbutty24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Man - that's a good-looking tele!

Old January 11th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Mine does not say "Custom Telecaster" on the headstock (see pic above). And no, I havent taken the neck off. I simply tuned her to pitch and played her all night last night. My fingers are a lil tender today from playing much longer than I normally do, I couldn't put her down!

I really kind of surprised myself, I normally don't particularly prefer black guitars. I also had no idea how I'd bond with a 7 1/4 radius fretboard. But here I am with a Black Beauty w/7 14 RW fretboard. It took me about a whole 15 minutes to get use to. Cant believe how fun she is to play.

It would be damn hard to send her packing. Despite not getting any documentation, and despite the seller concealing the actual age, she's in mint condition and I really hope she's legit. If it's truly an authentic Fender Telecaster '62 Custom RI, I won't be sending her back.

The triangle shaped box it came packaged in has two labels with barcodes that indicate the model and product number. Does this seems to suggest shes legit?

I threw in another pic of her next to my partscaster (relic). Quite a contrasting pair, eh?

Old January 11th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I like it...Good luck
Hotrod40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbutty24 View Post
One other thing. AFAIK Fender Japan guitars are not called "reissues" however many label them as such. Actual bound 62ri's say "Custom Telecaster" on the headstock. Not sure if yours doesn't b/c it's a Japanese guitar or if maybe the neck is from another guitar.
I think you're onto something here. Looking at the labels on the box, it doesn't say RI. And also the Fender serial number decoder states it doesn't work with reissue models, yet it worked just fine when I input my serial number, as you can see in OP.

It doesn't say "Custom Telecaster" on the headstock. So I guess this isn't really considered a "reissue" model? But wait, it certainly wasn't made in '62. If it was indeed made in 95 - 96 (or when ever it was made) then its a reissue, even if its not labeled as such.

I don't know what to think at this point. I called their customer service number earlier today. I got a recording so I left my number. But they never returned my call. Do I feel like I got screwed? No, I think for the price I paid I got a very nice guitar.

My only question is what did I really buy? Seems like she's some sort of MIJ, limited run, export model, that's my best guess. Is that a bad thing?

Old January 11th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

The answer's in the neck pocket, I swear. Sneaky or Mark back me up here. :-)