How to wire '52 reissue to series with a 3 way switch: - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 31st, 2011, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

How to wire '52 reissue to series with a 3 way switch:

I find that I really like the bridge pickup on my '52, and I really like the neck pickup, but I really don't care for them combined. There is nothing wrong, just don't really care for the sound. I have read that you need to remove the cover, and cut the ground, and add a ground to the cover (something I don't really wanna do) on the front pickup if you wire it for both series and parallel with a 4 way. Would you still have to do this for a 3 way where you only used the middle position for series? I also have an FSR, same thing, I like the neck, I like the bridge, but the middle not so much. I would just as soon have both in series at the middle. I saw someone actually had their Tele wired that way on the forum, but couldn't find anything about it on the search function. Maybe buy a front pickup with three wires?

I actually decided this from how well I like my Classic Player since I backed out the screws on the back side of the pickups. I can using the 2 tone controls to make a lot more pleasing sound to me by adjusting each 'til I get something I like.

Anyone have a diagram, and any comments on making the change?

Toto'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2011, 04:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Telefied

Not sure if this is what you want.

You could probably add a 5 way switch and get the settings you want without messing with the neck pickup.

Which one of your guitars are you calling a Classic Player? Fender calls the Baja a Classic Player but it seems from your post you dont have a Baja.

Deaf Eddie knows how to do what you wanrt hw is an expert on wiring if you cant figure it out PM him he is a nice guy.

Old December 31st, 2011, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks Mark! The other guitar I'm referring to really has nothing to do with what I'm wanting. The Classic Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe is an altogether different guitar. Since I worked over the Wide Range Humbuckers though with info I got from a thread I picked up here on the forum, I can attain a middle position much more to my liking, by balancing the two volume, and tone controls.

My reasoning was that if I changed one of the more traditional Teles to middle position series wiring, if I liked what I came up with, I could do them both.

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 1st, 2012, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I do not think the schematic shown is the one you are looking for. I think that the up option just keeps the pups in parallel but out of phase and non hum cancelling. An interesting thin sound. Wiring the pups to be in series in the "middle" position is very sraightforward but you may want to consider a push pull to get both series and parallel options. Ftting a seperate ground for the neck pup is straightforward and may not even be necessary as many pups are 3 wire anyway. Alternatively you could go for a 4 or 5 way switch but a lot of players like the simplicity and no nonsense quck flick of the 3 way.i
Spanker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2012, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

My '52 sounds really good in the bridge position, and the neck position is actually my favorite for most things. I thought since I hardly use the 2nd position combining the two, maybe having them in series would make them more usable. I still don't think my question has been answered about whether or not I need to run a different ground on the front pickup is I wire them in series, but not paralelle.

Thanks for the post though.

Old January 1st, 2012, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I don't think you posted in the correct forum to get wiring help but i hope the wiring guru's see this here. Sorry i don't have the answer to your neck pickup cover ground question but it can't hurt to ground it.......has to be grounded to a different spot than the pickup ground wire though i think.

"You've got a hole in your soul if you don't dig the Blues"
rolling56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2012, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto'sDad View Post
Thanks Mark! The other guitar I'm referring to really has nothing to do with what I'm wanting. The Classic Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe is an altogether different guitar. Since I worked over the Wide Range Humbuckers though with info I got from a thread I picked up here on the forum, I can attain a middle position much more to my liking, by balancing the two volume, and tone controls.

My reasoning was that if I changed one of the more traditional Teles to middle position series wiring, if I liked what I came up with, I could do them both.

Thanks again!
Ok didnt know you had a Thinline Classic Player.

There is a blend wiring like used on Broadcasters and Nocasters that really doesnt have a middle position its neck and bridge or you can blend in as much or as little of the bridge pickup sound as you want.

Old January 1st, 2012, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

You will need the seperate ground for the neck pup to get series wiring as the casing of the neck pup still needs to be grounded when the circuit ground of the neck pup connects to the hot wire of the bridge. This connection needs to be "isolated" for series whereas for parallel the same grounds can be used. I hope this makes sense.
Spanker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2012, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks Mark for the new diagram, and thanks to you Spanker, it clicked in my head when I saw your post, of course since you will actually be switching the ground when you switch to series. I see now what needs to be done. Thanks to both of you, I have it straight in my head now.

I do like the looks of the blender, I have several Teles to mess around with now, I might wanna try that too.