Proper Vintage Correct Bridge for 68 Tele - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 21st, 2011, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Proper Vintage Correct Bridge for 68 Tele

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade a MIM tele and want to know what the proper bridge was for a 68 tele. For instance, I know that early 50s models used brass sadles, but I know that's not the case for 68. What do I need to get/look for? Also, I want to know what pickups are best for duplicating a 68 tele pickup. Again, I've read that 50s pups sound diffirent than 60s. I want the more thin wiery sound like the 60s.....Thanks guys!

Bergman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2011, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

A late 60's bridge would have plain steel saddles with grooves to hold the string spacing.

Pickups are more an individual choice, but staggered pole pieces are correct for that period.
Ron Garson is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2011, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Only the word: "FENDER" would appear in the middle.
Straight, NOT on an angle.
SwampAsh54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 21st, 2011, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Garson View Post
A late 60's bridge would have plain steel saddles with grooves to hold the string spacing.

Pickups are more an individual choice, but staggered pole pieces are correct for that period.
I have a 68 - that's the bridge & saddles. I still have the original pick-ups wrapped up unblemished...I think I used them for about a year then went to higher output D'Imarzios plus a brass 6 saddle bridge to get away from the sound OP is looking for.

Different strokes...
Bartholomew3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2011, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Early 68 are threaded steel saddles. The threads look like on a machine screw. Mid or later 68 saddles are stainless (at least mine never corroded) and they have a single notch or groove for each string (2 grooves per saddle). '68 pickups were not wax potted and the bridge pup tends to feed back at high volume or with distortion. Average DC on the bridge is 6.0 to 6.4. Average neck DC is about 6.5 to 7.0. Staggered magnets on the bridge pup, with unwaxed white cotton string wrap. Cloth leads on both pickups. The color of the leads varied a lot. I had one that had orange and green original cloth leads. Most were black and white or black and yellow.
spankdplank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2011, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

As spankdplank said. Coarse threaded steel saddles in early 68, slotted stainless steel saddles in late 68.

Patent number bridge plate.
slack is offline   Reply With Quote