Modern Player Thinline Tele Deluxe - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 7th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Modern Player Thinline Tele Deluxe

Does anyone have the new MP Thinline Tele Deluxe with MP90s? I was wondering how they are. They look really sweet and I heard they were made in China. Anyone have one?

smssatts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Telefied

There are made in China and I've had a chance to look one over.

It was OUTRAGEOUSLY light. Mahogany. Just nothing to it. Maybe weighed half of the MIM Thinline '72 next to it.

The neck is much thicker than the 60s bound or CVC Classic Vibe. But just a little thinner than the 50s CV. I would not be shocked if we determined that 50s CV necks are coming in thicker than they used to.

The Modern Player Thinline's headstock is different shaped than the Squiers, but the heavy poly gloss finish and the truss rod area and the fretwork are just alike. Tuners are a match.

Too much cacaphony to eval the pickups, sorry.

The bodies are not cut on the same program as the CV models. There are microscopic differences, and bigger ones also like a jackhole flat spot ( and "pregnant" area ) on the Squier but none on the Fender.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I played one the other day, not really impressed. In the ballpark of the Classic Vibe Squiers for about $100 more.
tele12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 10th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris bubbanov View Post
There are made in China and I've had a chance to look one over.

It was OUTRAGEOUSLY light. Mahogany. Just nothing to it. Maybe weighed half of the MIM Thinline '72 next to it.

The neck is much thicker than the 60s bound or CVC Classic Vibe. But just a little thinner than the 50s CV. I would not be shocked if we determined that 50s CV necks are coming in thicker than they used to.

The Modern Player Thinline's headstock is different shaped than the Squiers, but the heavy poly gloss finish and the truss rod area and the fretwork are just alike. Tuners are a match.

Too much cacaphony to eval the pickups, sorry.

The bodies are not cut on the same program as the CV models. There are microscopic differences, and bigger ones also like a jackhole flat spot ( and "pregnant" area ) on the Squier but none on the Fender.
Ya they are not made in the same factory where my friend works where CV's and many other guitars are made. He had to go to Shanghai to see them.

Old December 10th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Telefied

I would not be surprised at all, if the same man or group of men trained both sets of workers at both plants.

The manner in which the finishing of both model's necks were done is startlingly similar.

The differences are I think attributable to a different item emanating from the CNC machine in each case, the choice of string trees; subtle things.

And if it turns out the source of the strings is different, I would kinda expect that. The Modern Player I messed with had some strange strings on it, I thought. Fresh, but just different somehow.

Old December 10th, 2011, 03:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
I would not be surprised at all, if the same man or group of men trained both sets of workers at both plants.

The manner in which the finishing of both model's necks were done is startlingly similar.

The differences are I think attributable to a different item emanating from the CNC machine in each case, the choice of string trees; subtle things.

And if it turns out the source of the strings is different, I would kinda expect that. The Modern Player I messed with had some strange strings on it, I thought. Fresh, but just different somehow.
The CV's have always had D'Addario's stock. As soon as I got my first one 7-3-2008 I saw colored ball ends got out a set of D'Addarios and they matched up exactly.

At first I thought they were the older Fender colored ball end ones but the color codes didnt match up.

Now D'Addario makes all Fendr strings anyway.

Old December 10th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
The neck is much thicker than the 60s bound or CVC Classic Vibe. But just a little thinner than the 50s CV. I would not be shocked if we determined that 50s CV necks are coming in thicker than they used to..
I'm hoping that the line about the CV50's was a typo cuz I can't imagine a neck any thinner. Mine is almost too thin but still enjoyable.
But I respect your opinion highly Boris so don't take that as a cut.
I like the modern C but the one on my Am Stand Strat is a bit thicker and I like that more.

I'm waiting for someone to make a decent review of the pups on this guitar. I really want to add a P-90 to my collection and this Thinline looks good (the black translucent, anyway).
I missed out on the T-90 as they had discontinued it just as I discovered it. The JA-90 that replaced it is too expensive and too 'Gibby' with that tune-omatic tale piece. I like strings thru the body.

Maybe I'll get a chance to do the review but my GC didn't have any Modern Players on order except a Marauder.

Old December 10th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Holy smokes, how long has it been since Fender had a foreign mfc. elec. guitar (other than MIM, MIJ CIJ) ??

This model and a Fender out of China is a new one on me.

BTW I have a CV Thinline and LOVE IT !!!

I have not weighted it yet but I read one guy had one that was just over 7 lbs. IIRC
sjtalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Telefied

I am thinking that about the time the BSB 50s CVs came out, that all the CV 50s Tele necks started coming out thicker.

It was the #1 gripe that FMIC and their contractors could do something about so maybe they did change it.

The CV 50s White Blonde I messed with had a neck that appeared thicker than the '11 American Standard I played and that never used to be. Of course this one CV 50s just may be an outlier but usually outlier necks are sanded too much (and are strangely small) as opposed to somehow getting bigger than the size they CNC'd at.

Old December 10th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
I am thinking that about the time the BSB 50s CVs came out, that all the CV 50s Tele necks started coming out thicker.

It was the #1 gripe that FMIC and their contractors could do something about so maybe they did change it.

The CV 50s White Blonde I messed with had a neck that appeared thicker than the '11 American Standard I played and that never used to be. Of course this one CV 50s just may be an outlier but usually outlier necks are sanded too much (and are strangely small) as opposed to somehow getting bigger than the size they CNC'd at.
My CV50's vb is .840 my friends BSB 50's is .850 but feels much thicker because of the profile. The BSB is much more rounded and doesnt have that sorta flat feel the older ones have.

Old May 25th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Anyone play one of these yet? Curious how the pups compare to the Fender Black Doves (which I disliked) and the Duncan Designed in the Custom II (which seem to be well-liked).

http://www.youtube.com/Hoodrio
Hoodster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have the guitar. Good fit and finish (about on par with Squier CV guitars). Very lightweight mahogany body with a thin neck profile. Pickups are OK and are hum-cancelling in the middle position, but I am planning on upgrading them. I've never played the black dove or DD P90s.
stephenyi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

A friend of mine just got one from HelloMusic.com for $259 USD. For the price, it is a great guitar. I thought the neck was a bit beefy, but it takes almost no time to get used to. I actually just traded my '72 Thinline for a Nashville, and the MP Thinline Deluxe had about the same neck thinkness, and it didn't even have a rosewood fretboard like the Nashville.

I wasn't too keen on the P90s, but if you spend a few extra bucks and buy some quality P90s I'm sure it will be great. Great guitar for the price.
addictions is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 05:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Just both it a few weeks ago. So here are mu impressions and a little review.
Playing unplugged it sounds very clear, strong and vibrant. Very wide tonal spectrum from nice highs to tight bass. Excellent sustain.
Compared to my USA Tele Standard (and my í78 Strat too), it has much thinner C-shape neck. Iím reading other opinions about neck thickness and begin to suspect that there is more than one version of this guitar neck!?
Anyway, a neck fits me great and quality of fretwork is OK - no offending fret edges, buzz... Out of the box guitar was plug and play ready and I immediately have a feeling that this guitar was already played years ago.
Headstocks shape is a little bit different from standard Tele, and also thinner maybe 2mm.
Tuners are medium quality. They look vintage nice and have string loading same as í70 F strat tuners - which I like. But this is the first thing to replace on the guitar in the future.
Guitar is light - very light. Didnít measure it but its much lighter then Tele Std. not to mention any Les Paul :)

Mahogany body with ďblack transparentĒ finish looks beautiful to me. Natural look and feel, flawless finish. One bad thing: neck pickup is very sloppy attached to the body. You know that P90ís are attached with two bolts between 2-3 and 4-5 magnet pole, bolted to the body. On the neck pickup they are not exactly perpendicular to the body as they should be. Result is that pickup is not parallel to the pickguard - but this is minor issue and can be solved easily. Bridge is simple, strat like hardtail with strings through the body as it should be. Saddles are vintage ones and works perfect. Pots and switch are running smoothly and I think they will last for a long time.

Pickups are GREAT. During 30+ of playing electric I have try many different pickups mounted on my tele, strat, epiphone LP, and recently Gretsch guitars. Talking about Duncans, DiMarzio, Fender, BL,Ö (single, humbuckers, mini humbukers, stack singles, blade designsÖ) So I can say that I have some experience about pickups. But beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so this is my personal subjective opinion. Bridge pickup has fine balance of tele twang and P90 dark sound. So donít expect FULL tele twang on this guitar, but itís pretty much here. Neck pickup sounds creamy with nice round bass and surprisingly amount of treble. Both pups are powerful but remains clearness and focus that no humbucker has to offer. Comparing to singles on Tele Std, they are stronger, darker, but with excellent treble response so they donít sound muddy at all. They have nice mids - thanks to mahogany body, and whole guitar is very resonant and alive.
Both pickups together sounds exactly as you expect and itís also hum canceling position.
Added benefit is separate volume and tone controls for each pickup, and with this (as any LP player knows), you can fine balance sound in the middle position.
When you roll down volume pots, pickups donít lose sound quality, so this guitar is very thankfully for volume and tone levels experiments.
Will I change these pickups? Noo, actually I will like to have a few pairs more to try it on my Gretsch Duo Jet. I think they will sound amazing there.

They also work great on the pedals. From overdrive side it works great with Boss Overdrive 3, FullTone OCD and old Boss Turbo Overdrive. Marshall Blues Driver and Guvínor also sounds excellent, even a Marshall Jack Hammer - like Bonamassa sound?. On the extreme side tried it with EX Metal Muff and Boss Metal Core and apparently (as expected) it is NOT heavy metal guitar. On the vintage side my old Big Muff and Muff Fuzz works excellent - powerful especially with cranked up tube amp. Tried on Marshall JCM 900 all tube 100W, Laney 65R, little Bugera V5, Fender Deville.

So to conclude ďreviewĒ, it is generally very good guitar to play and love. Excellent for playing anything from light to hard rock and different kinds of blues and some jazz maybe. Absolutely musically sounding instrument on any pickup position. Time will show is the build quality good as it seams to be.

Personally Iím happy to get one and add additional sounds and feel to my playing.
Sounds and feels like much expensive guitar.
Milos M. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 09:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Nice write-up! I also got one recently myself and wote about it here: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaste...ne-deluxe.html

A few comments...

I weighed mine at 6.0 pounds and my MIM classic 72 thinline at 6.5 pounds.

Mine also has a skinny neck like you describe.

I would say the tuners are comparable quality to my 72 thinline, but there is a slight physical difference in the width and depth of the slots.

Didn't notice the problem with pickup mounting that you describe. The screws are actually adjustments for the pickup height.

If I lay the Modern Player on top of the 72 thinline, it looks like the profile of the headstock is an exact match to me, but it is a little thinner.

I agree about the P90's, they are great and a huge improvement over the MIM wide range humbuckers on my 72 thinline. This is a great guitar for the money - enjoy!
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 10:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I played one of these in TN, and the pickups were extremely noisy. Has anyone else had this experience?
ilikejazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 10:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Do you mean you heard noise from the amp when the guitar volume was turned up but you weren't playing? If so, then no, I don't have that problem with mine.

Old July 31st, 2012, 10:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
Do you mean you heard noise from the amp when the guitar volume was turned up but you weren't playing? If so, then no, I don't have that problem with mine.
Hm. Ok cool thanks. I really, really like these guitars but was bummed when the amp vol. was on 2, was on the clean channel, and the neck pickup was really noisy.
ilikejazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 11:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Maybe a problem with the wiring or pickups in that guitar? Did you ask somebody at the store? The other one that I tried in the store didn't have that kind of problem either.

With my amp at 7 and both volume controls on the guitar at 7, I don't hear any noise. In fact, sometimes I forget to turn down the volume and I don't even notice that it is still on.

Old July 31st, 2012, 12:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

very nice guitar-pickups on mine are not noisy.Overall,I like this guitar alot!
oldteleguy is offline   Reply With Quote