Keith Urban's guitar? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 25th, 2005, 03:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Keith Urban's guitar?

Does anyone know the details about Keith's guitar.
It looks like a nash but it has the neck and middle pickups removed. Also the bridge pickup doesn't look stock.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

keith urbans tele

hi bandit,
as far as i know, it is a 62 custom tele ( if you are talking about the sunburst coloured one.
he only uses the bridge pu and he said, that it is a lindy fralin blues special.
a few month ago there was a site on the net, that showed his live gear, but i think it has been removed.
he plays over nine !!! matchless dc30 and an old marshall plexi top. ( i don´t get this, but probably,if you got too much cash.... )
as far as i can recall, the effects were
2 fulltone overdrive
ernie ball volume pedal
boss compressor
ibanez chorus
+.....
that is all i can remember.
take care
zoppotrump
zoppotrump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Follow this link

http://www.tdpri.com/viewtopic.php?t...ht=keith+urban

past thread from this forum. He's got Bad Cat amps in the rig now (go to Bad Cat's website for pic).

His guitar has an EMG pickup ...some says it's a strat pup ? Doubt it...too powerful. But the tone is sweet !

JK
JohnK24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old February 25th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Here's some info from a previous post, this was on Golden Road tour- he uses primarily Badcat amps instead of Matchless now- Matchless is no more.

For the people wondering about how Keith get's his tone ... I got
this information direct from Scotty Huff ... a member in Keith's
Band ... and from watching Keith live ...

Keith's main component of sound are the nine (9) (yes, 9) Amp's
he uses. 7 of these amps are Matchless DC30 2x12 combo's Then
Keith has two Matchless 2x12 Cab's and a Matchless DC30 head
powering one of the cabs, and an old Marshall Plexi Head powering
the other. 6 of the amps face towards the audience and are directly
behind Keith. You can see the old Matchless head in the upper left
and the old marshall head in the upper right. the last 3 matchless
combo's are facing towards the back of the stage and they are behind
the wall of the 1st 6.

Now, as for effects...this is direct from Scotty...

He has 2 GCX loop switchers with a Bradshaw Foot Controller
Carl Martin Compressor
Cry Baby Wah Wah
Fulltone Overdrive (Blue)
Fulltone Overdrive (Yellow - with comp settings)
Phaser
Line 6 Echo Pro

Nashville Anniversary Tele with the Neck and middle pickups removed,
Fender Clapton Strat, Gibson SG.

I hope that answer's any questions on how Keith get's his tone.

...I also have a pic of his current amp set-up if you want me to email it you, just PM me or email me.

His gear seems to be changing alot these days. His amps on Crossroads were not the same as in the pic I have of his touring setup. Also, I've seen him perform with the pedalboard listed above, but also with a Bradshaw switching sytem, so I don't know...

It would be great if Guitar Player would do a feature on him, but trying to get a country artist in GP is like pulling teeth. My neice is going to his upcoming shows at the Ryman, has an all-access pass, and I'm trying to cajole her into snapping pics of his amp & pedalboard for me...

Old February 25th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Nope,
Keith's guitar is on page45 of the tele bible.It'sa 40th anniversary tele in antique burst.The one pictured is one of a few made by the custom shop,but it is exactly the same as keiths.It was made in '88.
He had the 3rd pup put in,then didn't like it and removed the switch,and the two top pups.
get "the telecaster"book and check it out.Same color,neck and fret markers,gold hardware and everything.(just looked at a close-up of Keith's guitar again,looks like he's changed his hardware to chrome if it origionaly had gold).
He needs to come clean,dosen't anyone here know Keith?Can't someone relay the real info?
I've noticed he's ditched his Matchless for Bogners now too.
Chrismeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2005, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9

It would be great if Guitar Player would do a feature on him, but trying to get a country artist in GP is like pulling teeth. My neice is going to his upcoming shows at the Ryman, has an all-access pass, and I'm trying to cajole her into snapping pics of his amp & pedalboard for me...
GP did do a full feature on Kieth, just last year. I don't recall them going into alot detail on his gear, but the article was fairly decent I think. I'll dig through my old issues and see if I can find which one it was.

Jake
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2005, 10:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakedog
GP did do a full feature on Kieth, just last year. I don't recall them going into alot detail on his gear, but the article was fairly decent I think. I'll dig through my old issues and see if I can find which one it was.
Jake
That would be great- please let me know. I have a link to an article they did on him, but it wasn't a feature- I don't think. Let me know if the link below is the same story you are talking about. Thanks!

http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.as...storycode=4435

Old February 25th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Chrismeyer is right on, the tele Keith plays is the 40th Anniversary Tele the CS built in '88, I believe that was the first guitar th CS made.
The GP article is in the Dec. 04 issue.

Here is the quote from Keith:
"Then, during my first trip to America in 1989, I saw this Fender Custom Shop Tele at Manny's Music in New York, and it was like the Holy Grail sitting in a glass case."

Old February 25th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

And it IS th Holy Grail!
I HAVE to find one one day or get one of you guy's to build me one! Kevin...................

Old February 25th, 2005, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Keith Urban's Guitar

rugar9. Thanks for the link. I am a huge KU fan. Keith always gives an honest and interesting interview. The GP interview is another example. Wonder why they didn't ask him why he ditched his previous band. I get the impression that his new band may be better fit for the style of music that he is currently writing.
TeleYank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Well, this is only a rumour, but...

My neice lives in Nashville & hangs out with these people sometimes (her best friend is engaged to Deirks Bentley's Road manager- Dierks & keith toured together with Kenny Chesney last year), and the rumour is that there were drugs involved. Some people say Keith's band was doing drugs and he wasn't, others say EVERYBODY was, while others point to Keith's past history of admitted drug abuse. We'll never know the real answer, neither he nor the old band member are talking. He had a great chemistry with his old band, and this new band is "the best that money can buy", according to insiders. Who knows. All I know is, I like his music, and there's no point in wasting time speculating on something we'll never know, and doesn't really matter anyway.

Incidentally- Keith professes to be a pretty healthy guy these days, at one point saying he doesn't even drink anymore. Again, who knows, and it doesn't matter.

Old February 25th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

My understanding of the situation with The Ranch was that yeah,Keith was on the snow pretty bad,but the band didn't sell records and got dropped.Thing is,they were badass and that music(if you can find it)is AMAZING!Just not commercial enough for Nashville.
I play and hang in Nashville alot and I'm at BMI all the time in writing classes and I'm tellin you,Nashville is PURE politics.No one with the "feel"or "heart"has a shot in Hell if he can't write HITS,not great music,but hits.Pop songs with a little Tele and steel.
Anyway,that's the game,Keith learned well the first go round and now he's on top,but if you want to hear his heart and soul find The ranch CD.

Old February 26th, 2005, 12:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Just to clarify- I wasn't talking about the Ranch, I was talking about his band from the Golden Road tour. They are almost all gone (I think the keyboard player stayed).

As far as the Ranch goes, they were a local rave thruout nashville, it just didn't translate into national record sales.

Old February 26th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Wow,I didn't know that.Even the bass player?He's been with Keith a while.

Old February 26th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm not exactly sure who stayed, I just know most of them didn't. You could probably find out on Keith's fan club forum or the velvet rope forum.

Old February 26th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Pinmonkey

Keith has one of the dudes from Pinmonkey in his band now.

He plays the cue-stick, mandolin and sings absolutely amazing harmonies.

When I saw him in November I was blown away by the band.
GopherTele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Back to Keith Urban’s Guitar

I caught the CMT video of Keith Urban’s song “My Better Half” and was inspired to modify my Nashville Tele like the one Keith uses. :D I thought there might be something about having the empty pickup cavities that would add to the Tone.

Only I did Keith one better, I took out all three of the pickups. My “better half “ likes the result and says my playing never sounded better.

Old February 26th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Wow!

I have that issue. Sweet. I don't remember him being in there. I guess I just glanced over him. Well I think I'm gonna go read this article about him. Thanks for telling us Jakedog.

Old February 27th, 2005, 12:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Keith Urban's Guitar

rugar9. Thanks for the insight on Keith's band. I was interested in the changes as his show last year from Daytona Beach featured Keith with his old band. Thought they sounded great together. When I saw Keith with his new band on the CMA's, the sound of "Day's Go By" had more of a rock sound. Particularly from the guitar player backing Keith. They sounded great. I was just wondering whether the band change was Nashville strategizing to take to take Keith to the top. He did win Best Male Vocalist. In my opinion , he has sounded great with all the bands he has played with . You can't stop talent. He surely has it.
TeleYank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

OK heres the info more then anyone else has heres what keith's using these days

Fender custom shop 40th tele only 300 made!!! "also he has 2 of them" only one has EMG'S the tele he's using now is the same one but with normal pickups not the emg's....

Gibson Les Paul jr 90's model

Fulltone Full-Drive 2

Vintage late 80's rat By Pro Co

Klon Centaur

Dun Lop Wah

Line 6 Dl4

and amp wize he's using 65 Amp's Royal Albert with a 4x12 Cab

Bradshaw switching system Witch he uses to turn off and on all these pedals live...

Ernie ball Volume....

Thats pretty much it all he's using in the studio is a Matchless DC30 and the Full drive 2 that goes for all the albums but be here and love pain and the whole crazy thing he uses the rat and the full drive 2... if u need anymore info im sure i know email me...

tommyesco_14@yahoo.com
tommyesco_14 is offline   Reply With Quote