SX Vintage Series - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 21st, 2011, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

SX Vintage Series

Hello everyone. I don't get on here often, sorry, but I'm looking at purchasing a used SX Vintage Series Tele. From what I have read, these have one piece alder bodies and vintage tint toner applied necks. Can someone tell me if the neck profiles on these are like MIM Teles? How well do these Vintage Series teles compare to CV Teles? I appreciate any info and advice you all can give me. Thanks!

bfloyd6969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2011, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

SX necks are very chunky. Not really a "baseball bat" but they're definitely meatier than a Fender or Squier neck. I think they're quite comfortable for heavy chording.
JeffBeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2011, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

rumor has it they can be hit or miss, bit that may be more the case with the older ones. mine was perfect out of the box. everything works the way it's supposed to, frets are well done, and the finish was also well done. the BSB as it was called was more of a baby poop yellow (think french's mustard-ish) so that was redone in clear lacquer. i also reshaped the headstock (old style SX) to a traditional shape.
they're great guitars, i'd definitely buy another one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	020.xzc.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	96857  
ghostwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 21st, 2011, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBeck View Post
SX necks are very chunky. Not really a "baseball bat" but they're definitely meatier than a Fender or Squier neck. I think they're quite comfortable for heavy chording.
Thanks for the replies guys!

A chunky neck is still fine by me as long as it is still a chunky C shape and not a D shape. Would you call it a C or D shape?

Old September 21st, 2011, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've only had one, but I would say mine was more of a chunky C-shape. I really liked the sound and finish (for the price - extraordinary), but ending up selling it because the neck was just too fat for my hands. Wish I could've kept it...
Coffeemutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2011, 11:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Definitely "c" shaped neck.
Jtbeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks again guys - good to hear about the C shape. I just have a thumb problem with D shape necks. I went ahead and told the seller I'd take it. $110 shipped and has the pickups changed to GFS Lil Killers bladed (both bridge and neck). I'm really looking forward to it and it will be my only Tele again seeing how I had to sell my Fender '72 Custom a while back when in a pinch for some cash...

Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Congrats, those lil killers are some pretty sweet pups, too!
Jtbeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
TDPRI Member

I have one Sunburst Sx tele (Vintage series) as well, with the old sx tele headstock( tele alike). Nice sound and playability..really worth the money..
jmascis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've got a few of these myself, all with different shaped necks. Love 'em. One even has the Lil Punchers bridge/neck.

How bout some pics when you get it home?
bender66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks all. I'll surely get some pics up when I get it. Still waiting to hear back from the seller about finalizing the deal. PM's can be trying at times :/

Old September 22nd, 2011, 07:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have an SX bass that is remarkably nice 'for the money'. It's far from perfect and needs a setup bigtime but the potential is there.
spayne99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I like all the offerings from Rondo Music. Where else can you get an Alder bodied, maple necked, rosewood fretboard tele with a P90 configuration brand new for $109? Granted the tuners and the nut will most likely have to go. But that's an insane value for a top notch modding platform if nothing else.

Unbelievable that this guitar is only $109. I better stop thinking about it before I go and order one!

Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I doubt they are one piece bodies, but they are sweet rigs for the price! I've got several & enjoy modding them. Have at it!
tomringg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I like my Thinline alot .I parted it all out in the end and wish I had kept it really .The neck was chunky and had big thick jumbos .Great spec for a cheapy .If you can stretch to a Douglas from Rondo these are even better quality.I had an SX strat( SST) and that was was very good but too heavy .Apart from a pot failing it was a very good guitar and even its pickups were decent and very vintage sounding .In fact a classic strat tone .I was surprised
musicalmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The bodies are 3 piece, solid alder. There is an ash model tele as well that I would love to try.
TeleMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have a double bound SX from Rondo:

Leveled/re-crowned the frets.
Shimmed the neck appropriately.
Filed the nut slots appropriately.

In summing it up, all details that go into a real set up.

It is a really great guitar.

A word about nuts and tuning machines on the SX models.
I've had three, all different type guitars.

After properly attending to nut slots all have been fine and the tuning machines fine.

Too many times a lot of people don't really know what's going on and attribute tuning problems to tuning machines when in reality what is happening is binding at the nut.
That's a generalization and there are exceptions. However, my experience is that the generalization is most often accurate.

A set of nut slot files goes hand in hand with really knowing how to work a guitar.
In a pinch a set of feeler gauges and some papers for wraps can get it done.

All the SX guitars go to the operating table before being considered, "ready,":

RBBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleMan59 View Post
The bodies are 3 piece, solid alder. There is an ash model tele as well that I would love to try.
I have the ash one. Great guitar. It is basically finished with in an oil finish, rather than a think poly. The neck isn't glossy and orange like their other teles. The pickups sound pretty good, I may one day swap them but am in no hurry.

I found the tuners and nut to be pretty good on mine. Tuning stability is good.
yark14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I had an ash SX for a little while, too. Pretty nice guitar. Even had the forearm and belly cuts on it. Mine had been modded pretty heavily before I bought it. I should have kept it. Had a GFS Lil Puncher and was wired for coil tapping.

Also had a Douglas Gravity Thinline tele for a little while (sold it to fund strat gas) with 2 P90's. Another one that I should have kept. Had a nice fast neck and the frets were well dressed out of the box (and it was a "B" stock)!

I've always heard that the Rondo offerings are fairly hit and miss, but I've not had a miss yet.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

@RBBB I remember that double-bound model only being available for a short while. I am waiting for the double-bound black to come back in stock. Kurt thought he would have them back this fall. I have the HH Douglas Gravity thinline and the only thing I needed to replace was the nut. Tuners are stiff but hold very well. Frets and maple neck are very nice.
TeleMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote