What's the deal with La Carbonita tele's? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

What's the deal with La Carbonita tele's?

Never played one or even seen one in a store. I get the whole simplicity thing, as I have always liked Les Paul Jr's with single P-90's, but what do La Carbonita's sound like and what makes them special? What music are they best suited for?

bigben55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I might say that it combines the general simplicity that you mention with some of the very best sounding pickups on the planet. TV Jones classic filtertrons just sound awesome. They are super versatile so you can get great cleans, awesome punchy overdriven tones and can run the gamut from country to rock to pop, funk, etc. I love them. You won't play heavy stuff or metal, but you can get twang and grunt out of them.

The only place you'd ever really seen this pickups pickups was in big hollowbodies from Gretsch so no DIY'ers really had access to them or built much with them.

also, I feel like this forum, in particular, saw that Fender rolled these out a few years ago and was charging insane amounts (like $5k, seriously) for them, so all of the DIYers on here found out that you could basically make one with exact specs for under $1000 (some even less) so they became a quick rage.

I love'd mine, but sold it to build something new, but I still have TV Jones pickups in another guitar and am likely building another soon...they are amazing.
gr81dorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
I might say that it combines the general simplicity that you mention with some of the very best sounding pickups on the planet. TV Jones classic filtertrons just sound awesome. They are super versatile so you can get great cleans, awesome punchy overdriven tones and can run the gamut from country to rock to pop, funk, etc. I love them. You won't play heavy stuff or metal, but you can get twang and grunt out of them.

The only place you'd ever really seen this pickups pickups was in big hollowbodies from Gretsch so no DIY'ers really had access to them or built much with them.

also, I feel like this forum, in particular, saw that Fender rolled these out a few years ago and was charging insane amounts (like $5k, seriously) for them, so all of the DIYers on here found out that you could basically make one with exact specs for under $1000 (some even less) so they became a quick rage.

+1 you said it best.... plus they just frikin' look good too....lol
muzicmaken is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

What's the deal with them? Well the deal is I want one, but can;t have one...Yet :P

Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

How "Gretchy" do they sound? And how "tele" do they sound? I like the Gretch tone(love Rev. Horton Heat) and I got a great tele already. I'm wanting a 3rd guitar and might build one myself. Can't see anything being easier than one of these. Who sells properly routed bodies?

Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

To me they sound like a good tele. Gretsch's scale length and hollow body have a lot to do with their sound. Not just the pickups

Last edited by Roku; August 22nd, 2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
Roku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben55 View Post
How "Gretchy" do they sound? And how "tele" do they sound? I like the Gretch tone(love Rev. Horton Heat) and I got a great tele already. I'm wanting a 3rd guitar and might build one myself. Can't see anything being easier than one of these. Who sells properly routed bodies?
Rocku is right - they sound like a tele with a "gretschy" accent. maybe, but the scale length, hollowbody, bigsby, etc make a Gretsch a pretty unique sound.

Everyone sells these bodies now - Warmoth if you like big box stores, so to speak, but I've seen em dirt cheap at Red Dirt Guitar Works, but lately I buy everything from Marc Rutters cuz his stuff is just awesome and he has them or will make them out of whatever wood you want, etc and for a good price.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

BTW I have a Strat with tv jones in the bridge, they are the great. I'd say build away, a 2x4 would sound good with a tv jones in it.
Roku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

+1 to all the above. The La Cab gives you a simple (and gorgeous) guitar with an amazing and versatile pickup.

I would highly recommend trying one out should you see one.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The deal is that the factory burned down, and all the La Cabronitas turned into La Carbonitas.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I thought La Carbonita meant "little charcoal." CS

"It was born at the junction of form and function." Bill Kirchen, from "Hammer of the Honky-Tonk Gods"
Chris S. is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2011, 09:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Look at it! Just look at it!

Personally I just love Telecasters, think its the perfect guitar.

The La Cabronita is such a unique interpretation of the classic Telecaster and it just resonates with me. It is just too cool looking and sounds just as good.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 09:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I think La Cabronita is the most inspired guitar from Fender in years. I absolutely love it and can't wait to start building mine. I think I might need two!
sgoodacre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2011, 09:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I just want to refute the inability of a TV Jones filtertron to play heavy stuff. I use my la cab with my band and we play some pretty hard rockin stuff, and the powertron plus I put in it really dishes out some nice bottom end with the type of clarity I need out of my tone. We are by no means metal, but also by no means rock abilly or blue grass. just Rock.. like foo fighters or something in that vein.

I love the simplicity, and the greasebucket circuit is just fascinating.. legitimately the first time I ever felt a tone knob was musically useable.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKillebrew View Post
I just want to refute the inability of a TV Jones filtertron to play heavy stuff. I use my la cab with my band and we play some pretty hard rockin stuff, and the powertron plus I put in it really dishes out some nice bottom end with the type of clarity I need out of my tone. We are by no means metal, but also by no means rock abilly or blue grass. just Rock.. like foo fighters or something in that vein.

I love the simplicity, and the greasebucket circuit is just fascinating.. legitimately the first time I ever felt a tone knob was musically useable.
La Cabs have TV Classics, which is all I was speaking to when I said they can't play real heavy stuff. Even they kinda can, but they are not high output and really meant for that. Of course anyone making their own can use any other TVs. TV Makes some awesome hot pickups if you want to look across their line-up at Powertrons or Thundertrons. I just love the pure jangle of the classics.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKillebrew

What exactly is the greasebucket circuit and how's it different from a normal tele tone circuit?

Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I hope if I give my Gretsch and my Tele some alone time together they might make a la cab for me.
They are just plain sexy and are hands down my favorite interpritation of a classic guitar. I could stay looking at that red one all day. My dream would be a 2 pup version in surf green.
Falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2011, 04:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

just when you thought a tele couldn't get any simpler...
Sleph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2011, 04:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The greasebucket is based on the tone circuit that billy gibbons uses. I think the Custom Shop guy goes over it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyFRiiZCniU
sgoodacre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hands down, my '08 Fender La Cab is the best guitar I have ever played or owned. Very light and resonant, perfect neck profile, amazing pickup. I love the simplicity! Never fooling around going from one pickup to both to the next to both to the other, etc., etc., etc. I just keep going back to this guitar and loving it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	93867  
t-ray is offline   Reply With Quote