Epiphone Emperor Regent - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 6th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Epiphone Emperor Regent

Sorry this isn't about a tele, but I need some help. I just bought an Emperor Regent, and that thing feedbacks like crazy. What can I do to stop it? I have a jazz concert next weekend, and I don't want any issues. Thanks

Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I've played in a couple of different big jazz bands, and feedback has never been an issue. The volume has not been anywhere near high enough to be a problem. I sit off axis to my amp, it's about 4 feet behind and to my left.

Old February 6th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Formerly known as Eryque
Doctor of Teleocity

If it's feedback coming from the sound holes you can cover the holes with something or you can turn down. And now that I think of it more, changing your EQ might have some effect.

There is always the possibility that you have a microphonic pickup or something causing the feedback as well.
KokoTele is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 6th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Stuff it well and quite tight with rags/foam/cotton wool/socks.

In addition: tape the F-holes, damp the strings you are not playing, use EQ to cut feedback, put a damper between the pickup and body (or similar) etc.

(That's what I've been told, anyway)

Old February 6th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Those Guitars (that style - floating Pickup) are really meant to be played unprocessed. The Guitar, The
Cord, The Amplifier and that's "it". The "Top" on Boxes with floating pickups is usually thinner. An exception
would be the Ibanez George Benson Model.
Hey, it could be a Pickup malfunction too. If it's going through an Amp with everything set on "4" as I described above and it's still doing it have someone look
at or replace the floater with one that works good. There are a bunch of "floating pickups" on the market.
If You can afford one go for a "Rhythm Chief " by Deamond or a Kent Armstrong.

Old February 7th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

When using that type of guitar I always had to keep my right arm damping the top, ESPECIALLY with the amp behind me!
If I let go it would go "wwwWWWOOoooOONK!"

Then, as the leader turned around to see what was going on, I'd scowl at the bass player!
SteveY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2005, 12:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'll do some experimenting tomorrow at rehearsal. Later
Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2005, 01:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Remedies

That style of guitar will always feed back at higher volumes. The feedback is dependent on a few things: volume, proximity to the amp, direction of the amp and volume relative to the former.
It is not the quality of the pickup, it is the resonance of the guitar body and the sound waves reinforcing the vibrations of strings and the top of the guitar.

Your quickest solution, and least painful, is to stuff the guitar with rags or foam, and thereby cut down on the internal resonance. I played for years that way, and very loudly. You can move the amp to your side and point the speaker away from you, but you don't always have that option, and you want to be comfortable while performing, which means hearing yourself closely.
Start stuffing. Start out with a minimum, experiment, and keep adding until you have it. Careful of the internal wiring. You will sacrifice some of the "acoustic" tone, but once you have it packed, you can concentrate on your performance. Good luck.
jimmymackisback is offline   Reply With Quote