The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 30th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

BRASS vintage bridge PLATE ?

Does anyone know of a vintage style bridge plate made from solid brass? That's not plated with anything else? I see mighty mite has one but it seems MM products aren't always up to par with other makers - but that may just be a huge misconception on my part. There must be others to have produced these, no? especially since everyone and their dogs make brass saddles..

Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Former Member
Doctor of Teleocity

These are very Heavyweight...but Solid Machined Brass, and Sound Great.
http://www.armadilloguitar.com
Name:  VintageStyleBridge.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  21.4 KB
mellecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

These rather interest me.

I've never been one for certain materials meaning certain things in tone, but could someone enlighten me on the advantages of such a bridge? Apart from looking great, of course.

Thanks,

D.
Dellis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 30th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellecaster View Post
Attachment 81908
That looks like the M4 Sherman Tank of Tele bridge plates.
rob5755 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellecaster View Post
Attachment 81908
Thanks for that link... just to be clear, is the one you posted in the second link, "standard rails" or "trimmed rails".. I assume trimmed but...

Old April 30th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellis View Post
, but could someone enlighten me on the advantages of such a bridge? Apart from looking great, of course.Thanks,D.
I have to admit that I'm only assuming a better sustain and tone than stock, but I'm mostly wanting it because keith richards and andy summers use(d) solid brass bridge plates and I dig the look, and their tones. Though their's aren't vintage style and some folks don't care much for their sounds either, so YMMV.

Old April 30th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

And brass isn't magnetic, so it doesn't effect the magnetic field of the pickup. I have one of the solid brass plates from Rare Breed. Expensive, but I love it. And hey, they even sent me a Christmas card. Never got one from Guitar Center.

Old April 30th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've got the armadillo Keith micawber plate and saddles(avatar pic is before adding the saddles). great improvement in overall sound.
andpeab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

HOLY! That thing looks bulletproof
rirakuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Former Member
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
Thanks for that link... just to be clear, is the one you posted in the second link, "standard rails" or "trimmed rails".. I assume trimmed but...
Doug...Yes the Photo is for the Trimmed rail Model...Here's a Pic of the Full Rail one I did one a Customer's Strummer...I distressed it some to match the rest of the Hardware. I was quite Impressed w/ the Customer Service and what it added to the Guitar in the Resonance department.

mellecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryJ View Post
And brass isn't magnetic, so it doesn't effect the magnetic field of the pickup.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson View Post
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Yes. (depends what you're trying to achieve).

Vince Stadler (Taipantone) used to do them as well. I bought a bunch of the half plates; never got around to getting the whole plate when Vince kinda shut things down.

boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2011, 12:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Great job all around Mellecaster! Man, I definately will have one of those Armadillo ones... and will eventually pair it up with a set of Glendale saddles. But I may have to start with one of the much cheaper solid brass mighty mite ones first, for around $40 with brass comp saddles. I'll age the crap out of it too. Thanks for the info guys!

Old May 1st, 2011, 03:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Have you got a link to the Mighty Mite brass bridge? I am curious and don't see it listed on the price list.
gsh1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2011, 07:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris bubbanov View Post
Yes. (depends what you're trying to achieve).
Do you know a resource where the difference is discussed? Would be interested to learn more.
Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Well, this isn't a total ghost thread as it's only a couple weeks old so I'm going to resurrect it. I have a GE Smith tele that I love dearly for its neck and light weight and the rest isn't bad either, but that half plate just isn't my cup of tea aesthetically. So, I bought a set of Rutters saddles, Aluminum E/A and Brass and a standard $15.00 Fender bridge plate thinking it was US made and put it all back together. It plays fine, the Rutters saddles are wonderful to behold, but the bridge plate is certainly lacking in craftsmanship and then I find out here that it's made offshore. I even put one on my James Burton Standard when I changed that to a three saddle bridge, actually the saddles off the Smith, which by the way sounds just fine with Jerry Donahue's trick. Anyway, I was leaning toward the Glendale bridge as per Billy Gibbons and Redd Volkaert, but having a little trouble bending my gourd around $100.00 for a better finish and no dimples in the corners. I've read all the Glendale, Callaham, Wilkinson, Barden accolades and doubt my ears can tell the difference between any of them, but that honkin' Armadillo brass bridge Mellecaster posted just has my full attention. I guess it's because I worked as a machinist in a past life, but that thing is a work of art! I do believe that's my next bridge. I'd like to twang, but haven't mastered that style so for now am still rockin' the blues. It'll be interesting to hear what the differences are, (if I can tell). Thanks for the post Mellecaster!
Zagnut is offline   Reply With Quote