Vintage-spec WRHB pots - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 27th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Vintage-spec WRHB pots

Curtis Novak just rewound my '72 RI neck WRHB to vintage spec for my 2001/2002 MIM Tele Custom (and wound one of his Tele-Vs at 7K for the bridge).

I've heard conflicting opinions on the stock 250K pots. Some say why didn't Fender install a 500K for the WRHB; someone else said the 250K keeps it from being too bright. (And then didn't I see a 375K and a 1 MEG somewhere...)

I know ultimately it comes down to my own subjective judgement on tone, and that caps play a role, too. But I'm curious if rewiring a RI WRHB changes things.

What pots were the original Tele Customs/Deluxes equipped with for the WRHB? What difference can I expect between the 250K and the 500k?

latebloomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Afflicted

The original WRHB used 1 MEG pots for tone and vol with one .022 MFD capacitor on each tone pot.

Don't know how this would apply to the re-issues, as they're not the same pickup, really.
Guitarmadcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 03:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmadcat View Post
The original WRHB used 1 MEG pots for tone and vol with one .022 MFD capacitor on each tone pot.

Don't know how this would apply to the re-issues, as they're not the same pickup, really.
After Curtis' rewinding, bobbin modification, and replacement of steel screws with threaded magnets, it's no longer a re-issue, exactly. Which isn't to say it's 100% like an original.

I assume the single coil of the Tele Custom was 250K and .047/.05?

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 27th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

An original 70's Custom had 1 meg tone and volume pots and a .022 cap for both the WRH neck and single coil bridge. I have an original 75 Custom and can verify that.
spankdplank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdplank View Post
An original 70's Custom had 1 meg tone and volume pots and a .022 cap for both the WRH neck and single coil bridge. I have an original 75 Custom and can verify that.
Thanks for the info, I might as well start there and see where the tone quest leads me.

Old April 29th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Novak uses FeCrCo threaded magnets which tend to be very bright. Personally, I would start with 250K pots.

The cap won't matter so much as it really only changes the "contour" of the tone pot. Not the actual tone.

The original vintage WRHBs were wired with 1 meg pots but they used much larger bobbins and heavier gauge wire and that combination produces a very unique sound.

www.telenator.com
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telenator View Post
Novak uses FeCrCo threaded magnets which tend to be very bright. Personally, I would start with 250K pots.

The original vintage WRHBs were wired with 1 meg pots but they used much larger bobbins and heavier gauge wire and that combination produces a very unique sound.
When Novak winds to original specs, he doesn't use the same gauge wire? I knew the bobbins would be a compromise.

His site doesn't explicitly say which threaded magnets he uses, but it also doesn't explicitly state what they aren't...in error I assumed rewiring to vintage spec meant he'd use the original magnets. I know they're impossible to come by, but I figured he found a stash much like Telenator did.

Old April 29th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I can only assume that the use of the term "vintage spec" means he's winding the pickup to about 10.4K using a smaller gauge wire because 42 gauge, which is original vintage spec, will not fit on the smaller MIM bobbins to make a hot enough coil.

I think that if anyone else was making pickups with CuNiFe, they'd let you know in full detail because it's "the stuff!"

As far as I know, Telenator is the only one.

www.telenator.com
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telenator View Post
I can only assume that the use of the term "vintage spec" means he's winding the pickup to about 10.4K using a smaller gauge wire because 42 gauge, which is original vintage spec, will not fit on the smaller MIM bobbins to make a hot enough coil.

I think that if anyone else was making pickups with CuNiFe, they'd let you know in full detail because it's "the stuff!"

As far as I know, Telenator is the only one.
I made some incorrect assumptions. I didn't expect a clone, at any rate. I just hope it sounds better than the RI wrhb. :-)

Old April 29th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I know guys like gear talk, but do you have an original WRHB for tone comparison?
JuSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuSteve View Post
I know guys like gear talk, but do you have an original WRHB for tone comparison?
I do -- a friend has a 75 deluxe. Mainly I don't like how the RI sounds period, but also on a philosophical/whatever level, why offer a RI that is so far away from the original? Seems an esthetic (i.e., marketing) decision more than anything.

Old July 13th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hi, Would anyone here have a wiring diagram for a '72 Thinline Tele. Mine is a MIJ '91 and I can't quite figure out the wiring. It has a continuous taught bare wire that strings /grounds all the parts together and has me wondering if there is a more conventional way.
vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn View Post
Hi, Would anyone here have a wiring diagram for a '72 Thinline Tele. Mine is a MIJ '91 and I can't quite figure out the wiring. It has a continuous taught bare wire that strings /grounds all the parts together and has me wondering if there is a more conventional way.
http://support.fender.com/service_di...7402B_SISD.pdf

Old July 13th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebloomer View Post
Thank you, that is easier to make out.

If I may. The cap is between the tone and the volume which I have not done before (I've only wired Strats ). Would it function as a tone cap or in some other way?
vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn View Post
Thank you, that is easier to make out.

If I may. The cap is between the tone and the volume which I have not done before (I've only wired Strats ). Would it function as a tone cap or in some other way?
I don't know how to compare to a strat, and I never did figure out why some diagrams have it like this -- but in the Teles I've worked on I ground them to the tone pot itself.