Does a Ron Kirn neck fit my Fender Baja? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 10th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Does a Ron Kirn neck fit my Fender Baja?

And vice versa or are their problems that may arise?

A local guy hit me up that has a Kirn std and the Fatback on it is a little more than he can handle. Frets & Radius are all the same and I would assume a Kirn Fatback is going to be closer to a Nocaster back profile. Anyway we're going to meet tomorrow afternoon to do the swap, I'm just trying to get a feel ahead of time to see if everything is going to line up or not from anybody with experience in the field. Maybe Ron will see and chime in himself if I'm lucky...It's a gorgeous Kirn Fatback!

Thanks for any help, Cameron

cschlish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty sure most of his necks are from USACG. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong!
1962guitargeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Telefied

This is just not sound reasoning.

A substantial component of the premium in a Ron Kirn is the way the neck is painstakingly fitted to the body, and set up accordingly. Throw that away by parting the Kirn out (in effect) and you're missing the whole point as to why Kirns are made. Sure it will fit in a crude sense, and I guess there's always the possibility of a miracle, but I am dead against this idea. Buy the Kirn from him and he can order or find another.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 11th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris bubbanov View Post

A substantial component of the premium in a Ron Kirn is the way the neck is painstakingly fitted to the body, and set up accordingly. Throw that away by parting the Kirn out (in effect) and you're missing the whole point as to why Kirns are made. Sure it will fit in a crude sense, and I guess there's always the possibility of a miracle, but I am dead against this idea. Buy the Kirn from him and he can order or find another.
This seems extreme. Folks swap necks out all of the time successfully as you should well know being on this forum for as long as you have been.
JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Parting out a Kirn is blasphemy!

But if it is done, can I have dibs on the body?

Old March 11th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Folks swap out necks all the time, but the necks they swap weren't custom fitted to the bodies.

That said, it "should" work. Just like ANY Telecaster-style guitar's neck "should" work. I'm pretty sure a quick perusal of old threads will come up with several instances where a neck that "should" work doesn't necessarily work right.

I don't have the initiative right now, but if I were investigating this issue I'd probably go look at a few Kirn build threads and see if there's any pictorial evidence of work being done on the heel of the neck.

Old March 11th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:

+100!
AlanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:

I could not agree more with Boris here, yes it will work but it is taking away from the whole point of getting a Ron Kirn guitar. Like already stated that neck is custom fit for the Kirn guitar and is entirely a huge piece of the Kirn puzzle that is his guitars. Once you buy it yes it is yours and you can do what you like, but kinda seems pointless to get a custom guitar and not get the right neck..

Old March 11th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

This talk of custom fitting a Tele neck strikes me as boutique hoodoo. It is either a nice snug fit or it is not. This is not fitting a dovetailed Martin neck it's a Tele. This whole cult of the mystical uberbuilder is a bit much.

Old March 11th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, it'll fit, if you gotta ya gotta... but putting my neck on a Baja is like hooking Wilson speakers to a Crystal set...

but if you DO do it.. take it to a pro to get the thing setup...

rk

take a peek at my new offering....
http://ronkirn.com/blackie.htm
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Jacks from Southern "Jersey", I'm from Northern "Jersey" whudda those Southerners know anyway?

rk

take a peek at my new offering....
http://ronkirn.com/blackie.htm
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkirn View Post
Jacks from Southern "Jersey", I'm from Northern "Jersey" whudda those Southerners know anyway?

rk
Well,....blueberries..........and cranberries.........there must be something else.

Old March 11th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
This talk of custom fitting a Tele neck strikes me as boutique hoodoo. It is either a nice snug fit or it is not. This is not fitting a dovetailed Martin neck it's a Tele. This whole cult of the mystical uberbuilder is a bit much.
+1
pondcaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I definitely see your point Borris, regarding a truely special Custom instrument like this. Let me just say, I've dreamed of having a Kirn Barn Buster since the day I saw one (I love Pine). My hope was to get the first half of my Barn Buster today and then send the Fatback to Ron and have him marry it with "my" Barn Buster when the household finances allow for it. I guess I was just dreaming again!

I think the Tele player who can't really afford a Custom Shop instrument and has never even got to experience that world (which is like 95%). But, wants/needs a similar calibur, is that they treat a Tele as a Two Part instrument. Because they can never afford a purchase all at one time that allows them to have both "perfect" parts married together. I would also guess that 90% of Tele's get parted out at one time or another at some point, Custom Shop or not.

So, I was rely just trying to get "my" perfect Instrument the only way I can. But, if the Community and MOST importantly Mr Kirn didn't think it was ethical to go this route, than I have no problem declining the offer and going my original plan of customizing a TMO-Fat for it...

Cameron

Old March 11th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

So, since I'm back to square one. Anybody got Fat neck to swap me for this Beautiful Baja neck???

Old March 11th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

You should got the neck....Ron was just teasing you.

Old March 11th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Yeah, I really wanted a Barn Buster But gonna go a Different route, I'm gonna post the Baja neck on the forum I guess and hope to get a fatter Fender Custom Shop neck or a cheapish partscaster with a TMO-Fat on it...

Old March 11th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Ron says the neck will fit ... it's your call now ... and now excuse me, as i am in the midst of swapping a Hyundai engine into my Mercedes ...

Old March 11th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
Maybe yes, maybe no.

I am perfectly content to swap necks out on a couple of my projects and I do it quite often; sometimes many times. Even though it means a few extra hours getting each guitar back up to steam.

But I think there's a distance between my skill and talent and what Ron has proven he can do, many times over. I'm pretty fussy about these kind of things, but an inspection of one of Ron's guitars is still always an experience, for me.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I am not sold on all this mystery .Its just two bits of wood screwed together and if one part fits another ,which it should ,then no problem but it has to be set up properly .If the neck is all square which it should be and the pocket is also all square ,and it should be ,then no problems .If you can set it all up and shim it if needed, which you shouldnt if both parts are well made and to spec ,then go ahead..Not sure why you would swap out a Baja neck though .
musicalmartin is online now   Reply With Quote