Any threads about bigsby bridge options? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 22nd, 2011, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Any threads about bigsby bridge options?

I just installed a B5 on my tele and tried to modify my stock bridge, but it didn't work out. I have to get the tele bigbsy conversion plate, but was curious if a mustang/jaguar bridge would work with the plate (match up with the holes), or any other quality TOM bridges you guys know of.

thegamestop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

No answer, just interested in the question and want to bump it.
Bolide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I think if I was to put a B5 Bigsby on a telecaster, with that plate, I'd get a mastery bridge - expensive, but it look SO worth it.
Walter Broes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

the "Space Bridge" from ZZ GuitarWorks. (got mine on ebay) I have two and like them. Fits the holes etc. Needs no neck shims etc... I have also used the Mustange bridge but you WILL have to shim your neck and it raises your strings (of course you can raise your pickups .)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	guitars 018.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	70504   Click image for larger version

Name:	la cab.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	70505  
Twang Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Broes View Post
I think if I was to put a B5 Bigsby on a telecaster, with that plate, I'd get a mastery bridge - expensive, but it look SO worth it.
+1

-GB

Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twang Guitars View Post
the "Space Bridge" from ZZ GuitarWorks. (got mine on ebay) I have two and like them. Fits the holes etc. Needs no neck shims etc... I have also used the Mustange bridge but you WILL have to shim your neck and it raises your strings (of course you can raise your pickups .)
Very cool, haven't seen these before. It's a little more than I want to spend though. Might have to go with the mustang.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The Jazzmaster bridge comes standard with the Bigsby B5-F kit. The Jazzmaster, Mustang and Jaguar bridges are interchangeable, AFAIK. The problem with the Mustang bridge is that each saddle has a single string slot while the Jazzmaster bridge (and possibly the Jaguar) has threaded saddles which allows you to put each string where you want them. So if, for example, the low E is too close to the edge of the fretboard, the threaded saddles of the Jazzmaster bridge allows you to place it closer to the A string and away from the edge. This is simply not possible with the Mustang bridge.

Several people in this thread mentioned the Mastery bridge. It looks like a great product that solves many problems of the Jazzmaster bridge on a Tele. The problem is that the Mastery bridge is $175. Personally, I would never pay that much for any bridge.

I comment all the time in threads that discuss a Bigsby. And I always link up the boards.ie mods to a Bigsby B5 kit with the Jazzmaster bridge. Sorry if anyone is annoyed. I always do that because those mods worked for me so brilliantly and it was all free. The original poster to the boards.ie page claims his mods are (more or less) equivalent to a Mastery bridge. Not sure if it's true because, as I said, I would never throw down that much money for a Mastery. But if you get a B5 bridge plate with a Jazzmaster (or Mustang or Jaguar) bridge, I recommend you try those mods before dropping the big bucks on a Mastery. It might save you a few dollars. It did for me.
Mr. Esquire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the input guys, looking into finding a roller TOM style bridge to match up with the bigsby plate. If not I'll probably go with a mustang bridge.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 11:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've got a Rutters nickel plated CRS bridge on the way modified for a bigsby b-5. When I get it in this week I will post some pics. He did his brass compensated saddles but chrome plated them. He said the chrome plating would be tough and slippery.
jimmytulsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2011, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamestop View Post
I just installed a B5 on my tele and tried to modify my stock bridge, but it didn't work out. I have to get the tele bigbsy conversion plate, but was curious if a mustang/jaguar bridge would work with the plate (match up with the holes), or any other quality TOM bridges you guys know of.
so this doesn't work?

i just spent half an hour lookin for my old bigsby to put on ...
slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2011, 12:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Tunomatics work fine for me.
GigsbyBoyUK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
so this doesn't work?

i just spent half an hour lookin for my old bigsby to put on ...
This is the bridge I tried to modify. I filed out as much area as I could, but couldn't get them where the strings wouldn't rub on the original plate.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 02:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Trying to modify an ashtray-type bridge with six saddles is usually not successful.If having six individual saddles is the highest priority,then a Jazzmaster/Mustang bridge is the way to go with a B5 installation.If the OP would be good with 3 saddles,a vintage-style ashtray works fine-there's lots of room for filing material away for clearance while still retaining enough structural strength.

Here's a pic of my Esquire with an early ZZ B5 kit.They supplied the ashtray already filed down and not slotted.

EDIT:Oops! I just noticed that the bridge on the black Tele looks like the American Standard 3 screw type.That's not compatible with the vintage 4 screw ashtray type.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	guitarpix 187.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	70586  

Last edited by Dave Hopping; January 23rd, 2011 at 04:44 PM.
Dave Hopping is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2011, 02:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytulsa View Post
I've got a Rutters nickel plated CRS bridge on the way modified for a bigsby b-5. When I get it in this week I will post some pics. He did his brass compensated saddles but chrome plated them. He said the chrome plating would be tough and slippery.
Hey Jimmy I'll beat you to it this is your bridge. I did some extra smoothing and polishing around the back cuts so it feels slick, snags or sharp edges are not good.

Old January 24th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The modified 3-saddle bridge is definitely my preferred setup. I put F-logo B5s on both my Teles and took that approach on both of them. I started out with the Space Bridge as shown above, but didn't care for how that "lip" felt under my right hand, so I switched to a hideous palm-slicer that I filed out myself, then finally upgraded to custom machined bridges from Taipan Tone. Nice hardware.

http://www.taipantone.com/pages/full%20bridge.html

I think he charged an extra $20 or $30 for the Bigsby mod.

Old January 24th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Whilst the jag/jazz bridge looks something like threaded tele saddles, it is a rocker unit, it has long post holes. Unlike a ToM, which wobble at the top, the posts wobble from the bottom. Plus is has completely different hole centres to a ToM, so if you want to change to a roller ToM (a dodge for the jag/jazz), you can't.

Another thing to consider is that the tele has a much lower break angle over the saddles with a Bigsby than does an archtop, the jag bridge is not going to rock. Hence most use a tele-type bridge of some sort. My solid Gretsch has a much higher Bigsby saddle but it still needs the B7 roller bar, like that on the B5.

Old January 24th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Esquire View Post
The problem with the Mustang bridge is that each saddle has a single string slot while the Jazzmaster bridge (and possibly the Jaguar) has threaded saddles which allows you to put each string where you want them. So if, for example, the low E is too close to the edge of the fretboard, the threaded saddles of the Jazzmaster bridge allows you to place it closer to the A string and away from the edge. This is simply not possible with the Mustang bridge.
If you have a heavy right hand like me, threaded saddles aren't a good idea. The strings don't stay where you put them but get knocked into different parts of the thread, affecting tuning. With single slots, the string tends to stay in the slot unless I'm bashing really hard.

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
A.B.Negative is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Just got it Marc! Looks Awesome! Here are som pics installed:

jimmytulsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytulsa View Post
Just got it Marc! Looks Awesome! Here are som pics installed:

NICE! Functional and looks great.

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

When putting a bigsby on, is there a certain distance that it needs to be spaced from the saddles?
wademp is online now   Reply With Quote