Applying new decal to Squier headstock - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 13th, 2011, 04:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Applying new decal to Squier headstock

Hi there guys,

Long time reader, first time poster so please bear with me =)

I went out the other day and bought my first tele. An affinity Squier. It's beautiful, and I'm working on giving it a bit of an aged look (without touching the finish, I'll let nature take it's course there).

I've Worn the hardware with the acid fume method, and added a few dinks by shaking in a container with gravel. Everything looks great!

I really appreciate all the help I've found on the forums.

I'm also hoping to add a custom decal (my name in the fender script) alongside the squier one. I've got the decal ready, and was wondering what I should do afterward to make sure it endures the test of time.

The headstock is what I think to be a matted finish, there's certainly no huge shine to it, and not nearly as much as my satin SG.

So, am I looking to apply the decal, allow to dry and cover with a clear, matte sealer?

I really appreciate all the help.

Cheers,
Alex

alexgregg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I put a new decal on one of my Squiers. It has the satin neck finish too. I used Duplicolor gloss clear and gave it about 10 coats, alternating between light and heavy coats. Let it dry for a couple of days in between and used steel wool too. After the last coat I let it dry for a week and gave it some fine steel wool, gave it a very nice satin look that matches the rest of the neck.

Old January 13th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Doing this right now. Runied the first decal by going in too heavy with the first coat of lacquer after it was applied - some nasty bubbles came up.

Going to try again with a few light "mist" coats first...
Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 13th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Related question -

How does one go about removing the existing decal?
a.z.n is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I removed mine with a razor blade... just kept back-scraping until the logo and surrounding finish was removed. You could likely just sand the whole headstock down and re-finish it if you wanted the best results.
Tele/Les Pauls/Strats->Diamond Compressor->Pitchblack->Diamond Phase->'86 BF Rat->TIM->Analogman TS9/808->Ibanez SC-10->Diamond Tremolo->Eventide TimeFactor->DIY SHO w/ Master Volume->Vox AC15C1 or Marshall 1962 RI w/ KT66s
SackvilleDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I used wet/dry sand paper.

Old January 13th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Afflicted

very important - after applying the decal, allow to dry for at least 48 hours before applying any finish.

These things retain miniscule amounts of water and will result in bubbling under a finish that's applied too soon.

Hammerhead, I think that's what may have happened to you. The thickness of the coat shouldn't (in my experience) make any difference.
Guitarmadcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmadcat View Post
very important - after applying the decal, allow to dry for at least 48 hours before applying any finish.

These things retain miniscule amounts of water and will result in bubbling under a finish that's applied too soon.

Hammerhead, I think that's what may have happened to you. The thickness of the coat shouldn't (in my experience) make any difference.
OK, will leave it a while this time to be on the safe side. But most of the posts I've read on here, and even the isntrictions that came with the decal said to give it a few light mist coats first.

But who reads instructions?

Old January 13th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the help guys, as soon as the custom decal arrives, I'll get into it.

So, from what I've read so far:

If I were to remove the squier decal, I should use very fine steel wool, or wet and dry sandpaper.

Then, because the headstock is in a matted finish, I need to apply a few coats of gloss before applying the decal.

Wait 48 hours.

Then hit it with a few light coats of laquer/sealer and build up to heavier coats?

Is there a way I can maintain the matted finish and still have the decal applied?

Thanks again for the help =)
alexgregg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Hitting the decal with that heavy (wet) coat first, will allow the clear coat to attack, for lack of a better word, the finish of the decal, results not pretty... as you know.
Five-O is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 10:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

c'mon man. ain't you got a sharpie?
banjohabit is offline   Reply With Quote