Sound of Brad Paisley, Brent Mason? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 7th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Sound of Brad Paisley, Brent Mason?

I want to re-create the sound of Brad Paisley or Brent Mason when he plays for Alan Jackson. What tele do I need to get those low-end punchy licks? What equipment do I need--amps, effects? Thanks a lot.

jdfoosh357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2004, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

the alan jackson brent mason sound i would guess is his tele, through a fender deluxe reverb with some compression (i believe he uses boss cs-2) and maybe a little bit of overdrive here and there
brad paisley uses his tele thru a dr z amp i am pretty sure
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Brad uses a bunch of different Z amps, varying between the Mazerati, the Carmen Ghia, and the Z28. Now he's using the new model, the Prescription Extra Strength.
gls500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 7th, 2004, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

There are many of us that would like that..

sound. An estemeed colleqe (Mr. Hullet who I respect a LOT) on the forum said it is all about "Tone, timing and talent". The pedals, amp, and guit will the first one, but the other two are left to your hands.

The more I play, the closer I get to resembling those licks and sound. Don't fall to the trap that many of us have fallen into, which is putting dough in this stuff will get you closer. Yea, maybe. Save the dough, and work the chops, and you will be much further along.

Yes, a tube amp, a compressor and a delay should be an important part of your country rig.

Old October 7th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

So you mean to say ...

Once I get a 59 les paul standard, and a 60s marshall combo amp, I won't sound just like Clapton on the Bluesbreaker album ?

Wow. I got some things to reconsider now.

:D

I hope you guys got a sense of humor. I'm just kidding around.

:D
sixty4fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2004, 01:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I always thought that

if you had Stevies #1 and his amps and even his guitar tech on hand, to help, you still could not possibly sound like SRV. Tone is inside.

Now if I could just find out WHERE inside of me it is... then we'd have something!

~Video ~~ Audio~
You start off playing guitar to get chicks and end up talking with middle-aged men about your fingernails - Ed Gerhard
moondoggie999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2004, 02:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Just think of this

I was lucky enough to talk to Hank Marvin once and he told me that his biggest problem on stage was trying to sound like Hank Marvin.

Old October 8th, 2004, 02:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Now, if Hank had just known about this!

He would have never had that trouble! LOL

moondoggie999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2004, 06:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

my very first BM experience was through this Alan Jackson record.In fact I have posted before that I was in the studio when somebody brought the Alan Jackson cd to listen to during a break.
After everybody in the studio recovered from the shock :D I sent a great guitar player (not me!!) who was recording at the time in the recording room,plugged him in a Boss compressor and than in a great bf Fender amp and told him to recreate BM's tone.....
well as you can probably guess he did NOT even came close :(

http://superfunk12.com/
Nick Fanis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

A quick trick:

Start using some reverb. Don't over do it, but it will start to fattin up your tone a little, much like using delay at short intervals will do.

Old October 9th, 2004, 02:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

Re: Sound of Brad Paisley, Brent Mason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfoosh357
I want to re-create the sound of Brad Paisley or Brent Mason when he plays for Alan Jackson. What tele do I need to get those low-end punchy licks? What equipment do I need--amps, effects?
Actually, lots of Teles can get that sound. And yes, you'll definitely want an amp, and possibly some effects.

But mostly what you need are a set of these:

That style is usually referred to as "chicken pickin" and it involves using either a thumbpick or a flatpick together with some combination of <u>fingers</u> on the right hand. You'll need to learn how to "pop" the strings with the fingers in the same way bass players do. Try doing a search here or on Google for "chicken pickin" and you should be able to get some more info, including available instructional materials. Best of luck, CS :-)
so very, very true -- It's ALL about technique -- I've sat 3 feet away from Brent while he got that tone on a little bitty amp with a 8" speaker, and plugged into a pod.
To get that tone, you don't buy it, you practice!!!! :D
strat_and_tele_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2004, 03:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
KC
Friend of Leo's

the hands, the brain, the experience, etc.

if I had SRV's #1 and his amps and even his hat I couldn't make an E chord on the damn thing, strung up like it was with bridge cables instead of strings.

I think it's interesting the way the intersection of guitar and player works differently. My main guitar for quite a while was a '67 epiphone riviera, close as you can get to a Lucille. But I can play B.B. way more convincingly on a tele. Why? I don't know. I can just find the rhythm patterns more easily, and rhythm -- swing -- is what makes BB happen for me. The Riv feels a lot less percussive to me -- maybe it's the shorter scale, or the trapeze bridge.

But BB doesn't have any trouble finding himself on a 335. he could probably play BB on a ukelele and it would sound like him. the hands, the heart, the mind of the player are what matter.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2004, 02:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
the alan jackson brent mason sound i would guess is his tele, through a fender deluxe reverb with some compression (i believe he uses boss cs-2) and maybe a little bit of overdrive here and there
brad paisley uses his tele thru a dr z amp i am pretty sure
On the aj stuff, I believe it was the cs-2, though he uses cs-3 now.
strat_and_tele_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2004, 06:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

if you line up 50..

guitar players using the personal gear that both Brad and Brent use you will get 50 different end results. Some will be close..some closer than others..but the main part of the recipe will be missng.

sorry..

First chase your playing techniqe..the tone will come as a secondary artifact.

I'm still working on the first part of the equation..

t :(
T Prior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2004, 09:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Re: Sound of Brad Paisley, Brent Mason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S.

But mostly what you need are a set of these:

As a gear freak I use two sets of those. I recently found they sound best plugged in to one of these;

:)
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

That brain looks mint. Is it a reissue?
dhdfoster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2004, 09:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It's probably a Relic!
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

In a nushell , Brent Mason's tone is tele into Blackface Fender, Brad Paisley is Tele into Vox "Inspired" Type amps, Dr Z's
Tone is NOT all in the hands, listen to these great players, there is a huge difference in their tone, Of Course its about developing
your hands and technical skills, but playing through junk is playing through junk,
A good place to start for BM 's tone would be a Deluxe Reverb,
a bit of compression and slapback delay,
A good place to start for BP's tone would be a DR Z Carmon Ghia, fairly cheap for what it is, bullet proof and it will get you in that Zone, Tube compression, and Delay.
I play with, sub out sub in with many good tele chickin pickers,
all of them good tele players, who have spent their life honing
their chops, most have average tone that gets the job done,
the odd one however goes the extra mile and worries about
amps, tubes, speakers and such, very very easy to hear the difference, it effects those practiced fingers dramatically,Get the most toneful gear you can afford and practice yer butt off,
Bigtone
Bigtone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I hear what you're saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtone
In a nushell , Brent Mason's tone is tele into Blackface Fender, Brad Paisley is Tele into Vox "Inspired" Type amps, Dr Z's
Tone is NOT all in the hands, listen to these great players, there is a huge difference in their tone, Of Course its about developing
your hands and technical skills, but playing through junk is playing through junk,
A good place to start for BM 's tone would be a Deluxe Reverb,
a bit of compression and slapback delay,
A good place to start for BP's tone would be a DR Z Carmon Ghia, fairly cheap for what it is, bullet proof and it will get you in that Zone, Tube compression, and Delay.
I play with, sub out sub in with many good tele chickin pickers,
all of them good tele players, who have spent their life honing
their chops, most have average tone that gets the job done,
the odd one however goes the extra mile and worries about
amps, tubes, speakers and such, very very easy to hear the difference, it effects those practiced fingers dramatically,Get the most toneful gear you can afford and practice yer butt off,
Bigtone

and yes, finding the "tone zone" certainly helps with the desire to practice more (in my case this is true).

Another hint on Paisley's tone...those Dr. Z amps are running very LOUD ! That throaty grind isn't much from a stomp box, but from smokin' hot EL84s . I can get "close" to this zone with my Blues Jr. running pretty much max'd up, but those Z's and Celestion Blues add some secrets into the mix.

Ok, and yeah, we're talkin' about stellar pickers here were honed chops and God given talent are basis for those sounds we love.

ymmv,

John
JohnK24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Its Interesting, cause Gear particularily amps have an effect on how you play, I played a whole Stampede running my Z (Maz 18)
kind of Dirty but still clean, "Z's are real good at that", and it allowed me to hang on certain notes much much more than playing my super reverb, which makes me play more double stops and stacatto, at the end of the week it was quite an adjustment going back to the Fender amp,
John your quite right about the throaty midrange you get off cranked EL84's, Nothing quite like it, Pedals sound real small, even good ones, I think Z did a good job of keeping the notes clear but with "Hair" on it,
To say that tone is all in the hands is stating the obvious, There's more to tele tone than a compressor into a Blackface amp, there's alot of great tele tone to be explored in "Chickin Pickin", that may give people their own voice.
Jedd Hugh's is getting really great tone out of his " 65 Amps",
what a great young players he is, A freind of mine played me a few cuts off his new Cd, WOW!, His tone was cleaner than Brad's but dirtier than Brent's, Great Young Picker, Bigtone
Bigtone is offline   Reply With Quote