Bigsby and Tone - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Bigsby and Tone

Hi Folks,

I was watching youtube videos on Bigsby installation and found the one below. The person says, and seems to demonstrate, that you get an improvement in tone after installing the Bigsby on a telecaster. Is this your experience or is this just a fluke?

Thoughts?

TIA

Throttleneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

not for me. i have installed two and found virtually no difference in tone
indiobravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I can't tell the difference.

In theory it adds more mass which adds more tones, but I couldn't tell!
portugal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 18th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

That video is not just some random music store guy or guitar reviewer. This is an instructional video made by Bigsby. For some reason, "improved tone" is a big part of the marketing for Bigsby tailpieces.

In my experience, it's about as much difference as you would expect from hanging about a half-pound of steel on the butt of your guitar. In other words, almost none.

The bridge-to-nut scale length is the same and therefore so is the string tension when it's in tune. If you're one of those people who thinks they can hear a difference between top-mounts and string-through bridges, then you'll probably think you can hear a difference with a Bigsby... But I bet you'd fail in a double-blind listening test.

The guy in the video is chicken pickin' a country riff in the beginning. Then at the end he plays strumming riff with a pick and expects you to hear how much the Bigsby has changed the tone. All that actually changed was his playing style.

I LOVE the subtle vibrato that a Bigsby enables, but when it comes to improving your "tone", it's snake-oil.
MN Punk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'd say it slightly decreases sustain and makes for an almost imperceptibly less aggressive attack. The difference is small enough to be in my imagination, ignored, or both. A subtle wiggle of the Bigsby, however, will keep the guitar sustaining for days.

It's not a tonal difference, but it is a difference in sound. I hate the word "tone" when applied to guitar sounds. Overused and virtually meaningless. Yuck.

I think it's supposed to be a synonym for timbre, but with the way it's randomly tossed around, there's no way to be sure.
Sea Devil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The guitar sound changes minimal after installing the bigsby.... but the Bigsby must be good quality
Ati EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

MN punk
Quote:
If you're one of those people who thinks they can hear a difference between top-mounts and string-through bridges, then you'll probably think you can hear a difference with a Bigsby
Would you care to expand on this please?
LiamDalmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Just find a Bigsbied Tele and try it out. If you are so in love with your current tele and don't want to change the tone, don't mess with it. Buy another tele with a bigsby.
JBennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

There is a significant difference when a Bigsby is installed on a hollow body because it alters the tension on the belly. On a solid body the only real difference is there is a certain springiness to the strings, hardly surprising as they're now connected to a spring.

Old August 19th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Devil View Post
I'd say it slightly decreases sustain and makes for an almost imperceptibly less aggressive attack. The difference is small enough to be in my imagination, ignored, or both. A subtle wiggle of the Bigsby, however, will keep the guitar sustaining for days.
When you put the Jazzmaster bridge flush on the bridge plate, it increases sustain quite a bit. I always felt like the Bigsby kit with the boards.ie mods made my Esquire sound a little more rock 'n roll. I concede that the attack might be less than with a traditional bridge . . . but I can handle that. A Bigsby'd Tele still sounds a helluva lot better than a Strat.
Mr. Esquire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I cut the plain lip of the JM-style bridge and turned it around so that the intonation screws face the neck. Easier to intonate and the strings only touch the saddles.
Sea Devil is offline   Reply With Quote