jay turser guitars - Page 2 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 30th, 2004, 03:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Re: The Tursers I've played

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar
have been of poor to fair quality and all were marked made in China. Then again, they are very cheap, but I think you get what you pay for. I played a couple of Beatle basses that had loose crackling controls, a strat that had fret sprout so bad it cut your hand, and a Tele which was probably the best of the lot, but still mediocre overall. I think they are great starter guitars, but for my tastes I'd rather spend more and get a MIM or, my preference, MIA Fender.
I'm not sure you always get what you pay for....I had been looking at Gibson 336's at $2400 when I came across the Turser copy for $350. Nobody was more surprised than me at how well the Turser played and sounded. I could certainly afford the Gibson but I bought the Turser and gigged with it the next day. Even the pickups are keepers.

As I said earlier, the Chinese and Koreans are rapidly closing the gap. Look at the PRS SE's as another example. For acoustics, look at the Blueridge guitars that are driving the Martin folks crazy.

Here's a shot of my Turser 336:

fullerplast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2004, 06:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

i played a double bound turser tele today, really nice, and a semi hollow body, also nice. both marked made in china
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2004, 06:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
BB
Friend of Leo's

That guitar sure is a beauty fullerplast! While I don't have a lot of experience with Turser guitars, I have dinked around on a half dozen or so models ( unplugged ) at a local dealer. I was very impressed with the perceived quality and playability in relation to the low cost. Most of the reviews I've read ( as you said ) stated how good the stock pickups sound. Glad you're happy with your purchase. I'd snag that beauty in a heart-beat!
BB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 30th, 2004, 07:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Ditto fullercast...

I had a similar expirience when looking for the jazz box, willing to spend $1200 and walked away for 3 bills.

Old September 30th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #25 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah

those pups are amazing. Warm, but still twangy. I would actaully rate em a little higher than the ones I have in my Squier.

Old October 1st, 2004, 12:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Re: Well, you got my attention!!

Quote:
Where on earth did you find a new Jag copy for $50 plus shipping? That seems almost impossible to me. I'd even buy one for $50.
Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...752161886&rd=1
Big Daddy O is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2004, 01:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Well, I guess for $85 total

it's worth it if it sounds and plays well as you say it does, and is well built.
Oskar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2004, 03:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Re: Well, I guess for $85 total

Quote:
it's worth it if it sounds and plays well as you say it does, and is well built.
I had a Sonic Blue Tex-Mex Strat when they first came out back about '97. It was the best playing guitar I had ever had. Loved it! Until... ... some hussy '62 Tele Custom RI caught my eye, and thought I just had to have it. So, I traded my Tex Mex for it.

When this Jag copy came in (w/in 2 days) the first chord I hit on it, made me think it was my TexMex re-incarnated. I did not even have to do a setup on it! Plugged it into the amp, expecting the worst, and was very surprised and am now sure that it is my TexMex re-incarnated. Won't get hurt much for $85.
Big Daddy O is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2004, 04:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

SG

For $85, I couldn't resist the SG style. I'll know in a week or two...

Old October 12th, 2004, 11:34 AM   #30 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The SG copy

Well, I went with the Rockland SG copy off of eBay for $85 plus shipping. The guitar looks great. A few finish flaws, which is expected, but overall a nice looking guitar.

I don't know if the neck needs shimming or what, but the bridge looks like it is at it's maximum height, and the pickup closest to the bridge is adjusted all of the way up so that if you are looking down at it while holding it in the playing position you can see the whole pickup. It is kinda in the way of my picking, but I'm going to lower it a tad.

The guitar plays real well the way it is setup though. No fret buzz. The fret edges don't slice your fingers like other cheapos I've played, but the sides of the fretboard where they were inserted looks a little sloppy.

Overall, I really like it, especially for the price. And it sounds great with some distortion playing some metal...