The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 1st, 2010, 04:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

What Allen Wrench Size?

On the Telecaster Deluxe 72 Re-issue model, what Allen Wrench size is the technically correct size, for the Micro Tilt opening (presuming it IS in fact, an Allen Head Set Screw), on the back plate where the neck meets the body?

-Soupy1957

The Loar Mandolin
Guild GAD 25 & Breedlove C25/CR
Epiphone Hummingbird
Soupy1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

If ya need Allan Wrenches, take your guit to a Ace Hardware, you can buy one of whatever size you need for a few cents... getcha a few spares, so when you drop the little booger, and it bounces over between the carpet and the base board, and you never see it again, you have a back up.

Ron Kirn
The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in college was my blood alcohol content.
www.ronkirn.com
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Buy yourself two sets of Allen wrenches .......... one SAE and one metric......... their cheap.

Disclaimer: When I say something.... always ask yourself ..... "What the hell does he know?"
I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person.
I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea.
Jack Wells is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 1st, 2010, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

If your the only one gona touch em get 1 sae and one metric, if anyone else has access to your tools get a cheap set of each for decoys and hide your good ones.
Marc Rutters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the advice..........but NONE of you answered the question.......what size is it?

-Soupy1957
The Loar Mandolin
Epiphone Hummingbird

Old July 1st, 2010, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Former Member
Doctor of Teleocity

Here's an Exploded view...I think it's 1/8"...but I don't have one in the Shop to check for certain....Best I could do for now.

mellecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Ty Mellecaster
The Loar Mandolin
Epiphone Hummingbird

Old July 1st, 2010, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

From the Fender webpage...

SHIMMING/MICRO-TILT™ ADJUSTMENT

Shimming is a procedure used to adjust the pitch of the neck in relation to the body. A shim is placed in the neck pocket, underneath the butt end of the neck. On many American series guitars, a Micro-Tilt adjustment is offered. It replaces the need for a shim by using a hex screw against a plate installed in the butt end of the neck. The need to adjust the pitch (raising the butt end of the neck in the pocket, thereby pitching the neck back) of the neck occurs in situations where the string height is high and the action adjustment is as low as the adjustment will allow.

To properly shim a neck, the neck must be removed from the neck pocket of the body. A shim approximately 1/4" (6.4 mm) wide by 1 3/4" (44.5 mm) long by .010" (0.25 mm) thick will allow you to raise the action approximately 1/32" (0.8 mm). For guitars with the Micro-Tilt adjustment, loosen the two neck screws on both sides of the adjustment access hole on the neckplate by at least four full turns. Tightening the hex adjustment screw with an 1/8" hex wrench approximately 1/4 turn will allow you to raise the action approximately 1/32". Retighten the neck screws when the adjustment is complete. The pitch of the neck on your guitar has been preset at the factory and in most cases will not need to be adjusted.

Note: If you feel that this adjustment needs to be made and you're not comfortable doing it yourself, take your guitar to your local Fender Authorized Dealer.
LeDocteur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

My Tele neck has a the MICRO-TILT™ ADJUSTMENT. I needed to know the hex wrench or allen key size. I'm glad I searched for this topic. Thank you.
ringodingo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2011, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy1957
On the Telecaster Deluxe 72 Re-issue model, what Allen Wrench size is the technically correct size, for the Micro Tilt opening (presuming it IS in fact, an Allen Head Set Screw), on the back plate where the neck meets the body?

-Soupy1957
If its like my strat, the same allen wrench u use for ur truss is the one for the micro tilt. Actual size idk
candybluecrook is offline   Reply With Quote