Diffrence btwn: Fender California Telecaster & a Fat Telecaster? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 28th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Diffrence btwn: Fender California Telecaster & a Fat Telecaster?

What is the difference between a Fender California series telecaster and a Fender California Fat telecaster? And how much are these going for used if its good condition?

Gflipunit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Fat, has a neck humbucker.

Old June 28th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I am not familiar with any California Series Telecaster other than the Fat Tele. The press release below only mentions the FAT Tele, but the Wikipedia article seems to say there was a regular (not Fat) California Series Tele. The difference is the neck pickup, as the Fat Tele has the humbucker and the "regular" has a single coil.

Here is the Fender press release re the California Series:

Fender Unveils Hot and Spicy California Series Guitars

July 11, 1997

Mention California and, almost immediately, images of golden sunshine, orange groves, surfing and movie stars come to mind. Thanks to Fender Musical Instruments, get ready to add "guitars" to that list as the company has just unveiled its stunning California Series: the California Strat., California FAT Strat and California FAT Tele®

"The California Series came about thanks to the joint efforts of Fender's Corona, California factory and its Baja California Norte, Ensenada, Mexico facility," noted Mike Lewis, marketing manager for Fender's electric guitar division. "The bodies and necks are shaped by Fender's craftsmen in Corona and subsequently hand-painted at our ultra-modern facility in Mexico. Final assembly, including the installation of vintage hardware and electronics, is then completed in Corona. All three instruments are marked by exceptional attention to detail, tonal quality and playability."

For starters, the California Strat boasts a classic Strat design with Tex-Mex Trio pickups that pack enough firepower and spice to humble a jalapeno. The California FAT Strat features a U.S.-made Fender humbucker paired with two single coil Tex-Mex pickups in the neck and middle positions. "They're very punchy, but not over the top," Lewis explained. The California FAT Tele houses a U.S.-made Fender Tele humbucker in the neck position matched with a Tex-Mex Tele pickup in the bridge position.

"That combination allows players a variety of tones ranging from stinging, sustaining leads and cool, clean single notes to vintage Tele 'snap'," Lewis added.
Features common to each California Series instrument include an alder body, tinted maple neck equipped with medium jumbo frets, U.S. vintage hardware and electronics. All three models are also available in Black, Candy Apple Red, Brown Sunburst, Fiesta Red and Vintage White finishes.

U.S. suggested retail prices, including gig bags, are: $799.99 for the California Strat, $849.99 for the California FAT Strat, and $849.99 for the California FAT Tele.

For more information, visit their web site at www.fender.com.

=================
and here's the info in Wikipedia:

Fender California Series (USA)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Manufacturer Fender
Period 1997—1998

Construction
Body type Solid
Neck joint Bolt-on

Woods
Body Alder
Neck Tinted Maple
Fretboard Rosewood or Maple

Colors available
Fiesta Red, Candy Apple Red, Brown Sunburst, Black, Vintage White

Fender California Series electric guitars were produced by Fender in 1997 and 1998.

General features

Vintage style “C” profile neck with a 9½" radius.
21 medium jumbo frets.
Vintage tremolo, tuners and 4 bolt neck plate.
3 Ply WBW pickguard.
25½" scale length.
Fender Tex-Mex Pickups

History
Manufactured from 1997 to 1998 by Fender, the California Series Stratocaster, Telecaster and bass models were a joint effort between the company's factories in Corona (California, USA) and Ensenada (Baja California, Mexico). The body and neck parts were made in the United States while the finishing and painting was done in Mexico before their final assembly and quality control in the US. (The neck is adjusted with 3/16" allen wrench rod suggesting that it was manufactured in Mexico.)

Technical Information
The Fender California Series Stratocaster guitars have USA vintage style tremolos and tuners and other hardware. The tremolo bridge spacing is the same as the Fender USA vintage bridge spacing of 2 3/16". The Fender California Series Stratocaster bodies are routed for a single neck/single middle/bridge humbucking pickup configuration and have a polyurathane paint finish. They do not have the infamous "swimming pool" rout. The single coil pickups used on this Stratocaster model are Fender Tex-Mex pickups, in the usual 3-single coil arrangement, or the 2-single coil and 1-humbucker in the bridge position ("Fat Strat") arrangement.

The California Series Telecaster model also features vintage hardware such as Kluson-style tuners and a vintage bridge with six individual steel saddles. Medium jumbo frets make string bending and playability by far easier in contrast to the usual thin vintage frets. All Telecaster bodies of this particular series were routed for a humbucker pickup in the neck position. There were two options of the pickup configuration: Either a "Fat Tele" pickup arrangement with a Fender USA humbucker neck pickup and a Tex Mex bridge pickup or a Stratocaster single coil pickup in the neck position combined with a Tex Mex single coil bridge pickup. The serial numbers are in an AMXN + 6 digits format while the first digit represents the year of production. AMXN7***** means the guitar was manufactured in 1997.

All Fender California Series have "Made in USA" on the headstock.
nvilletele is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 28th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I think the california series was only available in that burnt orange/red color with maple necks. I could be wrong as I've just recently begun searching for these guitars.

Old June 28th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Former Member
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by scantron81 View Post
I think the california series was only available in that burnt orange/red color with maple necks. I could be wrong as I've just recently begun searching for these guitars.
Nope....I've had a few pass thru my hands that were Black.
mellecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have a California Strat in vintage white.

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by scantron81 View Post
... that burnt orange/red color ...
Fiesta Red, reminds of of tomato.

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

As mentioned above "All three models are also available in Black, Candy Apple Red, Brown Sunburst, Fiesta Red and Vintage White finishes."

I've had black and sunburst California Fat Teles, both since sold. But still have the California Series Fat Tele partscaster I put together from one that had been parted out on ebay by the Stratosphere:

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Wow, thanks a bunch guys. This was more information than I expected. Now I know a little bit more about my guitar. I feel so lucky because It's kind of rare.
Gflipunit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The California Series Teles are highly regarded by many, though not by all. The only thing about them I dont like is the 6 barrel bridge. I finally replaced mine with a Glendale set.

What is this guitar of yours of which you speak? Without pics, it doesnt exist . . . .

Old June 29th, 2010, 01:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

Formerly known as Eryque
Doctor of Teleocity

I owned two. Very cool guitars. I had one in Fiesta Red that was stolen (mediocre guitar anyway) and one in Vintage White that I loved, but I sold it because I wanted a guitar with a monstrous neck and at the time I couldn't afford to keep both.

The difference between the two (in case you didn't get it buried in the Wikipedia info) is that the CA Tele had a Strat pickup in the neck.

Parts & Pickups

www.kokoteleguitarworks.com
KokoTele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

...also were available in light blue...i can't remember the correct name for the blue ..perhaps Daphne?...
caytele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Just looked at one of these today. Played lovely. It had a five-way switch. Is this standard on these models?
peachfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachfuzz View Post
Just looked at one of these today. Played lovely. It had a five-way switch. Is this standard on these models?
Yes, it is standard on the Fat Tele.

Old November 9th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I had to go through my Frontlines but found this. I almost bought a strat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	63263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1_edited-1.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	63264  
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

There is also the original FAT Telecaster that was produce from 1998-2003. I have an 1998 at home. Very good guitar.
Fogboundturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvilletele View Post
The California Series Teles are highly regarded by many, though not by all. The only thing about them I dont like is the 6 barrel bridge. I finally replaced mine with a Glendale set.

What is this guitar of yours of which you speak? Without pics, it doesnt exist . . . .
Hi everyone, sorry to hijack this thread, but I just picked one of these up on Flea Bay today reasonably priced, although it looks to have more of a butterscotch finish than the vintage white. I had been debating over several Tele's and this guy was the only one who bothered to get back to me. What is the advantage of the Glendale set, and what else is worth modifying (mine won't arrive for a while)? Purely for aesthetics I am planning to fit a vintage type circular string tree and change the white pick guard for a black bakelite one...
Another question is that it seems this model is alder rather than ash, I presume that the combination of alder with a humbucker in the neck position should make for a great instrument for what I play, which is mainly Blues, Jazz and Fusion? - this leads to my next question regarding the bridge plate - on Jim Callaham's website he states that the brass bridges make for more warmth, but the carbon steel produces more bite and sustain - that confuses me a little, as I need both warmth and sustain....what do you guys recommend?

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving

David
truthseeker57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 01:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

great info BUT

I bought one in 96, has no "made in xxx" decal. Also a different serial number format. does anyone have any info on prototype or transition manufacturing?

thanks
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvilletele View Post
I am not familiar with any California Series Telecaster other than the Fat Tele. The press release below only mentions the FAT Tele, but the Wikipedia article seems to say there was a regular (not Fat) California Series Tele. The difference is the neck pickup, as the Fat Tele has the humbucker and the "regular" has a single coil.

Here is the Fender press release re the California Series:

Fender Unveils Hot and Spicy California Series Guitars

July 11, 1997

Mention California and, almost immediately, images of golden sunshine, orange groves, surfing and movie stars come to mind. Thanks to Fender Musical Instruments, get ready to add "guitars" to that list as the company has just unveiled its stunning California Series: the California Strat., California FAT Strat and California FAT Tele®

"The California Series came about thanks to the joint efforts of Fender's Corona, California factory and its Baja California Norte, Ensenada, Mexico facility," noted Mike Lewis, marketing manager for Fender's electric guitar division. "The bodies and necks are shaped by Fender's craftsmen in Corona and subsequently hand-painted at our ultra-modern facility in Mexico. Final assembly, including the installation of vintage hardware and electronics, is then completed in Corona. All three instruments are marked by exceptional attention to detail, tonal quality and playability."

For starters, the California Strat boasts a classic Strat design with Tex-Mex Trio pickups that pack enough firepower and spice to humble a jalapeno. The California FAT Strat features a U.S.-made Fender humbucker paired with two single coil Tex-Mex pickups in the neck and middle positions. "They're very punchy, but not over the top," Lewis explained. The California FAT Tele houses a U.S.-made Fender Tele humbucker in the neck position matched with a Tex-Mex Tele pickup in the bridge position.

"That combination allows players a variety of tones ranging from stinging, sustaining leads and cool, clean single notes to vintage Tele 'snap'," Lewis added.
Features common to each California Series instrument include an alder body, tinted maple neck equipped with medium jumbo frets, U.S. vintage hardware and electronics. All three models are also available in Black, Candy Apple Red, Brown Sunburst, Fiesta Red and Vintage White finishes.

U.S. suggested retail prices, including gig bags, are: $799.99 for the California Strat, $849.99 for the California FAT Strat, and $849.99 for the California FAT Tele.

For more information, visit their web site at www.fender.com.

=================
and here's the info in Wikipedia:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Manufacturer Fender
Period 1997—1998

Construction
Body type Solid
Neck joint Bolt-on

Woods
Body Alder
Neck Tinted Maple
Fretboard Rosewood or Maple

Colors available
Fiesta Red, Candy Apple Red, Brown Sunburst, Black, Vintage White

Fender California Series electric guitars were produced by Fender in 1997 and 1998.

General features

Vintage style “C” profile neck with a 9½" radius.
21 medium jumbo frets.
Vintage tremolo, tuners and 4 bolt neck plate.
3 Ply WBW pickguard.
25½" scale length.
Fender Tex-Mex Pickups

History
Manufactured from 1997 to 1998 by Fender, the California Series Stratocaster, Telecaster and bass models were a joint effort between the company's factories in Corona (California, USA) and Ensenada (Baja California, Mexico). The body and neck parts were made in the United States while the finishing and painting was done in Mexico before their final assembly and quality control in the US. (The neck is adjusted with 3/16" allen wrench rod suggesting that it was manufactured in Mexico.)

Technical Information
The Fender California Series Stratocaster guitars have USA vintage style tremolos and tuners and other hardware. The tremolo bridge spacing is the same as the Fender USA vintage bridge spacing of 2 3/16". The Fender California Series Stratocaster bodies are routed for a single neck/single middle/bridge humbucking pickup configuration and have a polyurathane paint finish. They do not have the infamous "swimming pool" rout. The single coil pickups used on this Stratocaster model are Fender Tex-Mex pickups, in the usual 3-single coil arrangement, or the 2-single coil and 1-humbucker in the bridge position ("Fat Strat") arrangement.

The California Series Telecaster model also features vintage hardware such as Kluson-style tuners and a vintage bridge with six individual steel saddles. Medium jumbo frets make string bending and playability by far easier in contrast to the usual thin vintage frets. All Telecaster bodies of this particular series were routed for a humbucker pickup in the neck position. There were two options of the pickup configuration: Either a "Fat Tele" pickup arrangement with a Fender USA humbucker neck pickup and a Tex Mex bridge pickup or a Stratocaster single coil pickup in the neck position combined with a Tex Mex single coil bridge pickup. The serial numbers are in an AMXN + 6 digits format while the first digit represents the year of production. AMXN7***** means the guitar was manufactured in 1997.

All Fender California Series have "Made in USA" on the headstock.
tharsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Fat California Series in CAR

Candy Apple Red
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5010609.jpg
Views:	1318
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	115233  
ayetee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have the Cali Series Strat in CAR. Awesome neck. Great quality. Not too much into the tex-mex pups though.

Had two chances at a fiesta red Cali Tele. Same Tele, different owners. sigh...
Phatius is offline   Reply With Quote