The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 7th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Dwight Yoakam(Eddie Perez)

Dwight Yoakam's guitarist Eddie Perez , anybody know who he getting his tone ? It's alot dirtier than Pete Anderson !!! From what I've seen it's 2 Fender Telecasters into a set of Fender Deluxes(somestimes Fender Vibro Kings) and an Vox AC-30 ! Any effects ???

clapointe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapointe View Post
Dwight Yoakam's guitarist Eddie Perez , anybody know who he getting his tone ? It's alot dirtier than Pete Anderson !!! From what I've seen it's 2 Fender Telecasters into a set of Fender Deluxes(somestimes Fender Vibro Kings) and an Vox AC-30 ! Any effects ???
I can't really hear any other effects he may be using, just a well practised technique perhaps. As is often said around here "a good guitarist can make a guitar sound any way he wants, regardless of effects" (or words to that effect). Just listening to Dwight there. He's the reason I picked up a Tele in the first place!
- Sunburst CV 60's Strat
- Fender Super Champ XD
NasalFloss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

How does he play 2 telecasters? That's got to be tricky.

To get a dirtier sound than Pete you crank the amp more.
Old Cane is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 8th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Cane View Post
To get a dirtier sound than Pete you crank the amp more.
I think Pete also had his Deluxes set up with 6L6's and more efficient speakers to maximize the clean headroom.

From the U-toob clips I've watched, I don't hear any effects either - but that Vox will certainly add a little extra bite to the mix.

It's not just good... it's good enough.
crossroader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Eddy's got a bunch of guitars. A Blackguard Nash, a Sunburst Esquire w/B-bender, a 60's Custom Rosewood Sunburst w/pinup girl, a Gretsch, and a Sparkly Tele he uses just for "Act Naturally" that he has tuned down a whole step.

It looks like he's got two Deluxes and an AC-30 up there for amps. It gives him a nice balance of clean and grit.

He's more than likely splitting the signal and hitting all amps at the same time, so the way I compensate is to use an AC-30 modeler and send that signal into my Princeton. It NAILS that tone.
Lerb21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

These photos are courtesy of Harley Yoakam at the Dwight Yoakam Official Forum.

Old June 16th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I got an E-mail the other day from Eddie and he's such a cool down to earth dude ! This is what he said about his setup :

I'm now using 2 Fender Deluxe Reverb amps that have been modified from 22 watts to 35 watts. I'm not using the VOX amps anymore. Touring with those amps is really hard.They are not all that durable. Other than a echo pedal and tuner, The sound is basically: Guitar, chord and AMP. That's pretty much it! I like to keep it simple and try to get as much tone out of the rig as I can naturally. Of course great Reverb and Vibrato also helps and that comes from the amps
clapointe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Looks like Mr. Perez likes to pick back near the saddles...

which is a cool place to pick

"She's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead." - The Munchkin Coroner
Buckocaster51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckocaster51 View Post
Looks like Mr. Perez likes to pick back near the saddles...

which is a cool place to pick

Reminds me of someone...

Eddie is one heck of a guitar player. One of my favorites.

I never thought I'd find a player who influenced me as much as Don Rich did. Eddie just about has.

To the casual observer their styles and vibe are not that different. I find some differences.

Don always used a thin pick and didn't pick by the saddles too much. Eddie seems to use a medium pick and hits the strings over the pickup or back by the saddles.

Don seemed to be about good control, volume wise and in other ways. Eddie adds a lot more brashness (in a good way). Not that Don wasn't always up front in the mix, but Eddie always makes sure that he's heard. Very prominent.

The tones they like are similar. Don always liked to have slight overdrive on his amps, but since he always used Twins he had to crank it to get that tone, hence you don't hear a lot of drive in the studio. Since Eddie uses two Deluxes the overdrive comes on a lot easier. Also it sounds like Eddie uses a bit more hair on his sound.

I really like Eddie. I think he's doing a great and sent him a couple messages back and forth through facebook. He's a really nice and positive guy.

Then again, I'm a sucker for anyone who puts on a nudie suit and twangs on a Tele like that.

Old June 17th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroader View Post
...I think Pete also had his Deluxes set up with 6L6's and more efficient speakers to maximize the clean headroom...

Yeah,I remember reading that Pete likes to run loud and heavy ElectroVoice 12" speakers in his modified Deluxes.

Ed
EdMan57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Just seen him and dwight last night. I tell you what Eddie has a new fan he's a great player and one of the best tones I have ever heard. This guy is great fit with Dwight. Also they had a new bass player he is great also alot of fun to watch and a great player. He has one of the tightest 5 person band I have seen.
TwanginTim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Eddie Perez is just fantastic live - I've seen him with Dwight and sitting with a Sunday night band (The Resentments, maybe?) at the Saxon Pub in Austin some years ago.

And the guy's got one of the best onstage wardrobes to boot, dang it.

I seem to recall he used to play with The Mavericks.
tweedtone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedtone View Post
I seem to recall he used to play with The Mavericks.
That's where I first noticed him. He blended well with the band (I mean he wasn't showing off), yet his talents really stand out with any group.

Not to say anything bad about Dwight Yokum, but the Mavericks all seem to have so much FUN playing, it's a wonder they ever broke up. There were rumors floating about a new tour. I don't think they broke up so much as went in different directions.

Anyhow, Eddie Perez is one of my favorites. I'm real newbie at this, REAL new. Many years ago I used to be a drummer, now I'm a writer. But for my 59th birthday I'm gonna give my self guitar and lessons.

all that to say I don't know much about sounds and how to make them. I've read many times here, that a good guitarist can get any sound from any guitar. BUT, in my totally uninformed opinion, Eddie Perez should be mated with that white Telecaster. When I first heard him play with the Mavericks I thought, "Nobody could sound better on THAT guitar, they belong together."
eric
Eric Charles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2011, 08:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Eric, I'm a former musician turned writer as well. Very cool that you got to see Eddie in an earlier incarnation. I like how demonstrative his sound is with Dwight, it keeps on the anchor, but there is always the feeling that anything could happen. Very exciting player. First tune I recall hearing him play with Dwight.

tele salivas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Just saw Dwight Saturday Night in Primm, NV. First time I?e seen him sans Pete Anderson.

As a HUGE Pete Anderson fan, I can tell ya, Eddie is a monster!! Great stage presence, chops and the tone to go with it. I had 12th row floor and was able to get close to stage - 2 Deluxe Reverbs - cranked and sounding awesome!

And as a fellow B Bender - he just totally blew me away and won my respect (not that he has to).

Would see Eddie anytime - he looked like he was having fun and Dwight was very humble with his comment about the caliber of musicians he was currently touring with as being the best and "helping cover up his many flubs" (which I heard none).

Go Dwight!!!
RxES 2x12~Quilter MicroPro200 10"~Quilter Aviator 8"
tomtheguitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I just saw Dwight & the band last Saturday for the 1st time, Eddie was awesome. He played about 4 different tele's & 1 strat
stratcat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

What tone!!! Love that edgy, crunchy tone. Just killer.
Teledelphia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Its funny that my first guitar hero was Pete Anderson and the first and only modded amp I've owned was a 1965 deluxe (non verb) with 6l6s in it. I didn't even know what the mod would do. The tech just saw me playing and said it was a mod I'd like.

He was right too!

Old December 6th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I recall back in the 90s (from which I was born), Dwight talking about Pete Anderson saying that his sound and playing is very "minimal". Well, not too long ago, I had the chance to talk with Dwight at the Crystal Palace in Bakersfield, and he said that most of his band just uses that old classic type of feel so he can retain a vintage, yet simple sound. I think he means guitar>chord>amp kind of classic deals. Maybe throw in a delay pedal and of course a tuner and mic the amp by an SM57. It's really gotta be that simple.
TylerHier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Seeing Eddie live is what led to my buying a Tele in the first place. I started looking the very next day.
scrapyardblue is online now   Reply With Quote