NHL Telecasters - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 29th, 2004, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

NHL Telecasters

I remember someone mentioning they were looking for an NHL Telecaster a long time ago (might have been the Leafs or the Wings). There are 6 (original 6?) here:

http://www.capsulemusic.com/

Click on "what's new", and check the Telecaster described as "6 of 100".

(No affiliation).

genelovesjez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2004, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Go Habs...

I see them around from time to time. Just wondering if they are truly good guitars or are kinda novelty cheapos. I've seen Detroit and Toronto in my area (the biggest rivalry here.) $1600 bananas seems steep. But then again some hockey fans are damn serious about their team.
BLACKCAT69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2004, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I thought these were just MIMs with a special paint job, $1600? Seems a little out of whack to me and I love me some NHL hockey.

GO LEAFS GO! :D

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 29th, 2004, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I agree - $1600 does seem high for those.
genelovesjez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2004, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The ad linked says US made so (if that's true) if you allow for exchange rate its not WAY out of line, though you still would need to really love your team. The Detroit one looked pretty cool. The Montreal one, no disparagement meant to a great organization, looks like a toilet seat the way ithe logo's laid out on the body.

Old July 30th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Too much...

There was one with the Canucks logo signed by Messier for sale at GM Place in Vancouver a few years back. It was a MIM for $1400 Cdn. I believe it was for the benefit of Canucks House charity. I didn't buy it though because of Messier's sig! If it had been signed by Nazzy though...

Old July 31st, 2004, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I collected a few pictures of them a few months ago, forgot I had this, it's too big to post here so I'll just link it
http://hometown.aol.ca/AUGERMANALIVE...reNHLTeles.jpg

Some seem much more attractive than others, Chicago's is one of the better IMO, too bad they felt the need to also put the team's name on there, like someone who likes hockey enough to buy one of these wouldn't know which team the logo belonged to without that?

Old August 1st, 2004, 02:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
jam
Tele-Meister

Not much of a hockey fan m'self...

...but I'd have to say the Red Wings' logo fits best on the body shape. That one they lined up real nice.

JAM

Old August 1st, 2004, 10:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Blackhawks Tele

A local dealer had one. It's a custom painted MIA American Standard Tele. Very nicely done with lots of detail on the logo. I don't remember it having a thickskin coat of clear either. Didn't plug it in, but I'd guess the guts are American Standard as well. Nice collectable for an avid Hockey fan or a Sports Bar...

Old August 12th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

New to the forum. First post. registered to leave this post for all the NHL Tele owners looking for info - I know how hard it is to come by, so here goes...

The following is an email I sent to Fender Customer Relations (Aug 09)and what Jeff Krause from Fender emailed me as a reply to my request for build info on the NHL series Tele's. He hasn't answered my question of how many were built but did send this:

Hi there,

I recently came into an NHL series Telecaster from 1999. it is # 002 of 100 - Calgary Flames, leading me to believe that there were only 100 of these NHL Teles made. I just did some research and found two, # 003's of 100. a Vancouver Canucks and a Florida Panthers. I have pix of both name plates confirming the number and the team listed under it - see pix. so, does this mean there were 100 of each team produced?? please verify. there is a small community of us who are baffled by this discovery.

thx and best regards,

kevin

Hello Kevin,

Here is the information we have on those guitars:

Model Name: American Standard NHLTelecaster® (Limited Edition)

Model Number: 012-1250-(Team Suffix #) or 012-1150-(Team Suffix #)

Series: American Standard Series

Body: Alder

Neck: Maple

Fingerboard: Maple (9.5” Radius/241 mm)

No. of Frets: 22 Medium Jumbo Frets

Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)

Width @ Nut: 1.6875” (43 mm)

Hardware: Chrome

Machine Heads: Fender®/Schaller® Deluxe Cast/Sealed

Bridge: American Standard Tele® with 6 Stainless Saddles

Pickguard: Team Logo

Pickups: American Standard Tele’s (Neck & Bridge)

Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade:

Position 1. Bridge Pickup

Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups

Position 3. Neck Pickup

Controls: Master Volume, Master Delta-ToneTM (System includes high output bridge pickup and special “no-load” tone control)

Colors: (901) Calgary Flames,

(902) Vancouver Canucks,

(903) Ottawa Senators,

(904) Toronto Maple Leafs,

(905) Montreal Canadiens,

(906) Edmonton Oilers,

(907) Pittsburgh Penguins,

(908) Florida Panthers,

(909) Nashville Predators,

(910) New York Rangers,

(911) St. Louis Blues,

(912) Buffalo Sabres,

(913) Detroit Red Wings,

(914) LA Kings,

(915) New York Islanders,

(916) Carolina Hurricanes,

(917) Philadelphia Flyers,

(918) Anaheim Mighty Ducks,

(919) Boston Bruins,

(920) Columbus Blue Jackets,

(921) Chicago Blackhawks,

(922) Colorado Avalanche,

(923) New Jersey Devils,

(924) Phoenix Coyotes,

(925) Washington Capitals,

(926) San Jose Sharks,

(927) Minnesota Wild,

(928) Tampa Bay Lightening,

(929) Dallas Stars,

(930) Atlanta Thrashers (2 Versions),

Color code suffix indicates each of the 30 NHL hockey teams

(Poly-urethane Finish)

Strings: Fender Super 250L’s (.009 to .042) Nickel Plated Steel pn#073-0250-003

Unique Features: NHL Team Logo is Screened Onto The Body

Source: U.S.

Accessories: Molded Case

U.S. MSRP: $2,499.99

Specs: Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice

INTRODUCED: 1/1999

DISCONTINUED: 1/2000

DISCONTINUED COLORS:

COMMENTS: Available through Fender Custom Shop Dealers and NHL Team Stores ONLY!

WRENCH SIZES: .050” Saddle Height Adjustment Wrench, pn# 0018531000, 1/8” Truss Rod Adjustment Wrench pn# 0023811000

Best Regards,

Jeff Krause

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation

Consumer Relations Department

(480) 596-7195

www.fender.com

Please include the original text in any replies. Thank you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My reply:

Thx much for the info Jeff. It didn't really answer my original question of how many NHL Tele's were built [in the 1 year production run]. I did not mention that I have seen 2 other Calgary Tele's besides mine...#14 , #09 and mine is #2...let me know if you find anything.

Have a great day,

kf

On a final note, I belive there may be some correlation with the numbers and jersey numbers of the players - possibly a tribute. What i have been told since I have owned my #002 Flames, is that this would be an AL Mcinnis tribute as he wore #2 with the Flames. #014 -Therin Flurey, and #009 was Lanny McDonalds # (for sale at AXE Music in Calgary for $22,500 CAN).
As mentioned in my reply to Fender, I have seen these other two Tele's. The original owner of #014 told me that he paid $800 for his , new, in 1999, bought it in Calgary. The $2499.99 price tag listed in the email from Fender has me scratching my head.
Last, but not least, the kicker...Gretzky's #99 Oilers Tele's is said to have fetched $80,000 at auction...

That's all I got. I hope this helps someone out down the road...any one having any other info on this Limited Edition Custom Shop run, please throw it down here...I wonder if a Registry would be possible?

Regards,
Kevin F
NHLTELEOWNER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The Penguins tele just popped up on craigslist here a couple months ago. I hate the font and logo the Pens used during that time though.
pmcghen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Fender Red wings Guitars? They where only Makeing 100. I was told they only made 31 of the 100 due to orders. Dealer wanted a certan number if it wasn't taken you could pick a number as long as it was under 100 and still available. Thats what some of the sports stores did. Music stores didn't care what numbers they got. I Have #19 Is That a good number?
Donniecash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

There was a Habs (yuck) one on Kijiji in my town that popped up a few times. The guy was suggesting that others like it had sold for around 30 grand, if I remember correctly. Could have been more like 20 but it was definitely in that ballpark.
PaisleyIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

When I first started playing a few years ago, a Flyers Tele went up on eBay a couple times. I did not grab it. IIRC it went for about $600 USD. If I had a shot at that guitar for twice that price today, I'd trip over my feet to jump at it.
neocaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Does the San Jose Sharks Tele "CHOKE" just before the big solo ??? !!!

How about the Phoenix Tele...it just can't find an audience to hear it in the SW...or the Habs tele...it only lives on past glory, but sounds like crap these days....

I could go on.....
JohnK24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

FWIW, I registered here just to reply as well....I have a Redwings Tele.....Mine has "Mark Colando" in place of the #xxx of xxx and is a USA made one also. Anybody seen any more with a name on the neckplate as opposed to a number?
Jeff Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Being a NYer I would love to get my hands on a NY Rangers Tele...oh that would be so sweet!!!
ADK Teleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

The NHL Telecasters they are numbered 1-100. There could be less than 100 made of each team. The reason why. Fender took orders from music stores, and sports stores. Remember these Guitars where costom made. they only filled the orders from the stores. at the end of the year NHL licence contract ran out fender couldn't make anymore. I was told from a good source there are only 31 Red wings Telecasters out there. Other teams 100 or less. If you own one of these NHL Guitars luckey you! There Like Gold $$$$

Old November 29th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Red wings telecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Perkins View Post
FWIW, I registered here just to reply as well....I have a Redwings Tele.....Mine has "Mark Colando" in place of the #xxx of xxx and is a USA made one also. Anybody seen any more with a name on the neckplate as opposed to a number?
That might be personalized to ''Mark Colando" Who is Mark?

Old November 29th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Make that "Marc Colando"....Who is he? Great question....From what I can find on the internet he was a Michigan resident at some point and is now an entrepreneur of some sort based on the west coast. I'm thinking that the sports memorabilia store woulda been the best source for this one. Who knows...In any case, I've tried to contact the guy through Facebook since I bought the guitar several years ago with little luck. I'd get a kick out of the history behind it.
Jeff Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote