Vantage tele copy - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 26th, 2004, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Vantage tele copy

So I found someone on the internet with a nice looking "Vantage" tele copy for sale. Here's a pic - http://home.cogeco.ca/~seand/vantage.jpg

I was thinking of maybe picking it up as a project guitar. I don't really know how to do stuff like neck adjustments, wiring, etc, so I thought it'd be good to learn on a cheap guitar. I don't actually have a tele yet (I've been a strat guy since I started playing) though I'm planning on getting a used mexi standard or perhaps an american or other higher end tele if I can find one used at a good price. I thought maybe I could put humbuckers in this one after getting a nicer tele, as I don't have any guitars with humbuckers in them right now.

I would probably do this, but I'd like to know if they're at least decent guitars. I don't really care too much about the quality of the electronics and pickups, but I do care about the playability of the guitar and how well built it is.

Should I buy it (it's not that much, probably about half of what a used mexi would generally cost), or just save the money and put it towards something else?

Sean_naeS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hmmmm.

Good question. That guitar looks nice- is that an ash body? I assume it is used as well. If you don't know much about neck adjustments, electronics, etc... I also assume you'll have someone else put Humbuckers in it for you. That will cost some decent money, if you pay someone to do it, as well as the pickups. I guess my ramblings boil down to this- I'd buy it for $150 or less, and if it doesn't work out, you might be able to trade it in or sell it for a fender.
As for playability, you can usually adjust that to your taste.

Old July 27th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Actually, I wouldn't get someone else to do it for me - basically part of the idea for me getting this guitar would be to learn how to do stuff. I would probably either buy a precut pickguard or get someone else to cut it for me, but I'd probably try to do the wiring stuff myself - I'd like to learn that stuff and I figure if I'm going to screw up a guitar while learning, it might as well be a cheap one. I have friends that know what they're doing with wiring as well, so I should be able to get them to show me stuff.

I don't know anything about the wood, or the guitar in general other than the pics he sent me (that's one of four, but gives the best idea of what the guitar looks like).

He's asking $150 (that's CND though).

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 27th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
bo
Friend of Leo's

Vantage guitars were either MIJ or MIK. I suspect the body is probably several pieces of wood with a veneer. It would be a good guitar to mess with for learning to swap stuff out on, etc. if it currently plays well. I love how they copied the '70s era "wrong" body shape.
bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

humbuckers

Sounds like a good guitar to learn working on, like you said. What I meant was how would you do the body routing for the humbuckers?

Old July 27th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Now that I would get someone who knew what they were doing to do. I know people that do that kind of stuff though, and I could get that done pretty cheap too.

Old July 28th, 2004, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

$150 CDL

is a good price for any guitar in reasonable playing condition. That's what, $120 US? If it doesn't have any major flaws, I'd buy it and use it as a test mule.

Check out the band at www.brightredtie.com
ravindave_3600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hi - I have a vantage tele and it is very solid sounding and playing guitar. Mine is a butterscotch color - the electronics were terrible (switch volume and tone) - changed the pickups to gfs neovin pickups - neck and body are good - great project guitar to learn on.
afawill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

a black guard on that will make it look 100 times better.

I wouldnt pay $150 for that as I can get a used Squier CV/C for $50 more and those are as good as a Tele can get without going custom shop. And the huge benefit of everything being US Fender spec, who knows what bridge, tuners, pickguard, etc will fit on that? Plus they are already routed for a humbucker.

Id pay $100 though. I like the headstock shape, funny cuz most boutique builders headstocks look terrible yet cheapo knockoffs can make a good one.

confucius said: man who want pretty nurse, must be patient.

Last edited by surfoverb; October 22nd, 2011 at 11:56 PM.
surfoverb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2011, 11:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

That guitar looks a lot like these at Rondo http://www.rondomusic.com/furrianmnashnat.html

SX guitars are a good mod'ing platform to learn on.
Hekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Love of a guitar. I have had this guitar for a while and I always liked the thin solid neck but I was not crazy about the sound. I have made many improvements and now I really love it. I cut out an arm contour with a horse shoe rasp and sand paper. I also rounded the corner and horn on the neck where it joins the body. I can play 2 frets higher comfortably and play for longer. I also drilled 6 holes in the body for string through bridge. I did not expect that big of a difference but the sound improved a lot. The notes sound more more full and whole. I feel I hear the wood of the body being more involved. I have 12 guitars but I play this cheap Nick off the most. I also added rare earth magnets near the bridge and neck pickups to fix an issue with the gfs replacements that have week treble string polls. I even had them measure and those poles at the end

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121010_201839.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	147544

Name:	ForumRunner_20121010_201911.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	147545

Name:	ForumRunner_20121010_201824.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	147543

Name:	ForumRunner_20121010_201749.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	147542

Name:	ForumRunner_20121010_201725.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	147541

Name:	ForumRunner_20121010_201705.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	147540

where 50% lower than the rest and gfs would not approve a return.
Here are some pictures.
afawill is offline   Reply With Quote