Installing a 'cut-off' bridge on a Telecaster - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Installing a 'cut-off' bridge on a Telecaster

I am thinking of purchasing a Baja Tele soon but I want a cut-off vintage bridge on it, most probably the Glendale Half-Plate, or something similar. I realise it probably screws right in, but will it affect the height of the bridge pickup, will it need rubber spacers under the pickup or something similar to make it the right height?

Loobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Depends on the PUP route depth and you PUP I'd say. The 'right' length wood screws, and possible some foam under the PUP. When I did it, I was able to use 7/8" long screws and surgical tubing under between the base plate and bottom of the PUP cavity. The PUP cavity was 3/4" deep IIRC. I di dnot like the tone though and undid it FWIW.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Depends on the PUP route depth and you PUP I'd say. The 'right' length wood screws, and possible some foam under the PUP. When I did it, I was able to use 7/8" long screws and surgical tubing under between the base plate and bottom of the PUP cavity. The PUP cavity was 3/4" deep IIRC. I di dnot like the tone though and undid it FWIW.
Interesting, what did you not like about the tone? I love the look.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Lost the twang a little too much for me. Interestingly, it was a hardtail modern bridge, and I used the piece left over from cutting a vintage Fender plate [for a dual HB Tele] next to the modern Hardtail bridge to mount the PUP in. I liked it a lot that way.

Before and after:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S5030653.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	44377   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5031269.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	44378  

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Each his own........

Here at So. Ill.......and I'm hearing of others,but I love a half-bridge setup....fatter tones,and still as twangy as any except Bakersfield.............

Great giggin' setup.....I suggest using a a hotter pickup.

Been having good results using mous pad foam in the route.
Hollmanp90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

$18

I got the Wilkinson half bridge. Direct replacement for four-hole bridgeplate, fits perfectly, compensated brass saddles work great. Subtle but definite change in tone. More open and airy, very lively and twangy, and maybe a little bit more growl to the tone as well.

Scroll down to bottom of page:

http://www.azguitarparts.com/id6.html
fendorst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendorst View Post
I got the Wilkinson half bridge. Direct replacement for four-hole bridgeplate, fits perfectly, compensated brass saddles work great. Subtle but definite change in tone. More open and airy, very lively and twangy, and maybe a little bit more growl to the tone as well.

Scroll down to bottom of page:

http://www.azguitarparts.com/id6.html
Awesome and so cheap! I'll be picking one of those up. Do you have to alter the pickup mounting at all, put rubber spacers under the pickup to push it up to the correct height or something?

Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Ill Electrics View Post
Each his own........

Here at So. Ill.......and I'm hearing of others,but I love a half-bridge setup....fatter tones,and still as twangy as any except Bakersfield.............

Great giggin' setup.....I suggest using a a hotter pickup.

Been having good results using mous pad foam in the route.
Can you briefly explain the foam thing in the route, and how I'd go about installing that?

Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Simply,make you a pencil rub template.......pick you up a mouse pad, cut it to shape,mine usually need nothing to keep in place, I use spring on pickup screws,install pickup.

Keep everything solid, stable........some shielding perks.

I don't use shielding paint or tape on my builds......ground that bridge and whastever is on the bottom of the pickguard.
Hollmanp90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

This is another one of those "how does it sound" questions... the answer is the same for 'em all.

It doesn't matter what anyone likes or dislikes, there is only one way for you to find out if it works for you, ya gotta jump in and get wet.

I would recommend taking a looooong look at your amp. That's where 90% of whatever you will hear is produced.

Ron Kirn

take a peek at my new offering....
http://ronkirn.com/blackie.htm
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Is there a wire already connecting the bridge on tha Baja to ground? If not, you'll need to run one as you'll be eliminating the connection through the bridge pickups ground.
GreeneFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJazzGuy View Post
Is there a wire already connecting the bridge on tha Baja to ground? If not, you'll need to run one as you'll be eliminating the connection through the bridge pickups ground.
My recollection is the Baja bridge depends for its grounding on the physical connection by screws of a grounded base plate to the bridge plate itself.

If my recollection is correct, a new lead from the bridge plate to the back of the volume pot is in order:

This Seymour STK T3b in the single coil position has plenty of twang - I am very excited about this guitar and plan to get some more of these Seymour Duncans. Might be this Esquire has a surplus of twang but it sure sounds nice.

++

Robt, what type of half bridge plate did you try? I think if you use something like a Taipantone brass 1/2 plate, you might have this issue. Guitar used to have one - it has improved very sweetly with the .048 steel.
boris bubbanov is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris bubbanov View Post
Robt, what type of half bridge plate did you try? I think if you use something like a Taipantone brass 1/2 plate, you might have this issue. Guitar used to have one - it has improved very sweetly with the .048 steel.
I did a vintage Fender which I cut myself, and a hard tail Modern Fender with polished saddles, sintered I guess.
I did find I like the cut bridge better with a hotter PUP.
I used some stainless saddles on the vintage 3x setup.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

when screwing the bridge pickup directly into the body cavity i didn't' use foam beneath the pickup. i used three springs.

i've tried foam in the past (for the neck pickup) but foam gets fatigued after a short while and it "remembers" the shape it was in. so if you try to raise the pickup, the foam no longer expands or pushes upward, and the pickup doesn't raise.

long story short, i put three springs under the bridge pickup, same deal as using two spring under the neck pickup.
fendorst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Former Member
Doctor of Teleocity

Here's how Fender does it on the G.E.Smith

mellecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Telefied

Yeah, the bridge pup rout is obviously shallower on the GE Smith.

I use tubing, and stainless steel #2 x 5/8ths inches phill. pan head sheet metal screws. Product # 9864 from www.boltdepot.com. .75 length screws will work fine, also.

The bed of closed cell foam is, I think, a mistake. As observed, it doesn't rebound when crushed down over time. And, if you winch the pup down with the fasteners while suspending the pickup under the middle of the base plate, you will distort the base plate and it may separate from the Bobbin. It could cause some serious squeal, which I discovered on a Keystone T bridge pup.
boris bubbanov is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the replies guys...the tubing and screws or perhaps the springs methods sound the best. I will keep you posted on progress when I get my Baja.

A guitar store owning friend of mine has 10 Bajas coming in this week, he's gonna cherry pick the nicest (and lightest) for me! 'cited!

Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellecaster View Post
Here's how Fender does it on the G.E.Smith

So here are they putting the rubber tubing under the pickup to prop it up? Is that screw also there to stop the pickup falling down?

Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

hmmm... Yeah, the route on mine was very deep, so I couldn't find tubing or springs long enough to bring the pup high enough. I went with foam which, btw, is much easier to install and haven't had any problems, yet. But maybe I'm just lucky so far... I could definitely see the plate separating or the foam decaying. But that surgical tubing rots, too. Anywho, I don't mind getting back in there if I have to replace the foam or whatever.
Tom_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I always check Guitarfetish for parts first. $11. Other types available.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/chhabrfortea.html

Attached Images

― Frank Zappa
cband7 is offline   Reply With Quote