Xaviere (Guitar Fetish) guitars -- good, bad? - Page 2 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 6th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #21 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

After a bad experience, I have made it a point not to buy anymore cheapy guitar. But since then several nicely built cheapy axes have come out. So I guess it is time for me to check on them e.g. SX and Xaviere. There are three things I like on guitars: sound, the wood, and the finish/craftsmanship. If it failed me on the sound, I still have the wood and craftsmanship. I can change the pickup. (just my 2 cents)

Theleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #22 (permalink)
TG
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
I was really disappointed with the pickups since they were GFS pickups, they're suppose to be good.
I've tried several different types of GFS pickups (thinking there must be something to all the hype) and every one was rubbish, IMO.
Never again.

But I've liked every Mighty Mite pickup I've ever tried, and they are even cheaper. And not hyped.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've looked at the Xaviere tele models many times but i just dont think there is one my wife is beautiful

edit: my wife's a comedian and typed/sent my incomplete post when I was away refilling my coffee cup .......and yes, she's beautiful

Ahem........as I was saying, I've looked at the Xaviere teles every time I've wanted to pick up a cheap model for a mod project, but always end up buying Rondo instead. i'm attracted to the variety and cool colors of Xaviere offerings but i've been very pleased with the rondos. I've had a total of 6 Rondos and they keep getting better IMO. They are what they are, but each has been perfectly playable stock and have had good woods, workmanship, and finish. Great inexpensive project platforms.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 6th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I got a surf green XV600 with P90s when they first came out (the model the OP linked to). I loved it. It was a flat-out stomper of a guitar. Not a bad tone in it. The tuners were a little stiff, and there was a little sloppiness in the finish around the F-hole, but who cares? It sounded great, looked cool, and had a nice comfortable neck.

I sold it because I saw GFS was coming out with new colors and I wanted a red one. But then the CV teles came out and I got distracted. I still plan on getting another one sometime.
basher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2010, 09:17 AM   #25 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I use nothing but GFS pickups Fantastic I never got a bad one,but some better than others ,check the reviews ...most snobish types couldnt tell the difference between a $35 GFS pickup and a $135 Fralin.Im still up in the air on the Guitars though.
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #26 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Fat neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug 54 View Post
Any of their T or S copies have a bigger neck ??
The thinline model I bought did have a fatter than "normal" neck

Gary
Gary in Boston is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #27 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I bought an xv-900(ES-335 Copy) and liked it so much I bought their xv-500(Les Paul copy). They are both great guitars. Everything else I have is made in the USA, and the Xaviere's compare pretty well. I bought some GFS P-90 pickups about 7 years ago to replace P-100's in a Les Paul Junior Lite(USA made), and like them very well also. Those were just my experiences and others may disagree, but I would order again from them.
denfelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #28 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Not as much bang for the buck as an SX, but of the Xaviere guitars I've owned (4), all were fairly well put together, and I still have one (the XV 540 double cut LP chambered). I use their pickups a lot, avoid their body parts and hardware like the plague. Would I buy another Xaviere? Maybe, but I don't think they are an outstanding value. This is all based only on my personal experiences.

You can buy a Jay Turser or Xaviere or Agile or SX Tele, and all of them are going to be Chinese or Korean CNC-built instruments. The difference I have found is in quality control and customer service. For those reasons, I would investigate the SX stuff before dropping any dough on a Xaviere. They're less expensive, extremely consistent, and you can't beat Rondo's customer service policies. But I WOULD suggest replacing the stock SX pickups with GFS.
griole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #29 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I bought a Xavier Tele for projects and parts. Quality is very good. The pickup set is reverse wound and sounds great.
Wilkinson bridge and compensated brass saddles.
Body has bound flamed maple top.
I bought it used for around $150.00 and really got my value.
bingy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #30 (permalink)
tdu
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by griole View Post
Not as much bang for the buck as an SX, but of the Xaviere guitars I've owned (4), all were fairly well put together, and I still have one (the XV 540 double cut LP chambered). I use their pickups a lot, avoid their body parts and hardware like the plague. Would I buy another Xaviere? Maybe, but I don't think they are an outstanding value. This is all based only on my personal experiences.

You can buy a Jay Turser or Xaviere or Agile or SX Tele, and all of them are going to be Chinese or Korean CNC-built instruments. The difference I have found is in quality control and customer service. For those reasons, I would investigate the SX stuff before dropping any dough on a Xaviere. They're less expensive, extremely consistent, and you can't beat Rondo's customer service policies. But I WOULD suggest replacing the stock SX pickups with GFS.
I haven't played an Xaviere Tele. But if the bodies and necks on them are even remotely decent, it's hard for me to see how they aren't a better value than an SX STL (which I do own).

The GFS pickups are definitely step above stock SX pickups. The SX ones aren't bad, but definitely not great. The GFS hardware I have used isn't the top of the heap quality wise by any means, but the parts I have used are definitely a step above what came on my STL. And the Xaviere's come with an graphite nut.

On top of that, Xaviere offers an Ash Tele. SX only offers their Ltd. in Ash (when they even have it in stock), and it has a bound neck and is contoured body, which is definitely a personal preference for some people. If you want a straight Ash tele copy though, the Xaviere is closer. Xaviere also offers more finishes and neck combinations.

And last but not least, the newer Xaviere's now have a satin finished neck instead of the thick, thick amber gloss that SX still uses.

Don't get me wrong, I think my SX STL is a great guitar. It wasn't even that bad stock. But the pickups, hardware, and tuners weren't really what I could consider 'gig worthy'. To get that, I'd have to do most of the upgrades that the Xaviere already has.
tdu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #31 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

My experience - good.

xv-800 Tele stlye.

Good hardware, pickups, neck, finish, tuners. Very pretty.

Has an intermittent problem. From time to time the neck pickup doesn't work. I'll put it down and pick it up the next day or so and it'll be fine for months. I've eyeballed all the connections and they look fine.

It's my living room guitar and I've never bothered to try and fix the problem.

Old February 6th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #32 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

What would you compare the thickness of the Xaviere necks to? MIM Tele, Squier standard, modern USA Tele???

And how big are the frets?

thanks
3 Chord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I just had really lousy deal with guitarfetish. The xv-500 was junk with loads of finish and play problems. After all's said and done I'm out $40 and the time to send this thing back. Dealing with GFS was really the worst of the transaction. It seem unlikely that everything they sell is like this turd but the service was snarky at best. It was my intent to exchange the guitar but after a few days of waiting for a reply to a shipping question, I've decided eat the costs and return it. This thing was obviously returned by someone else and it's wrong that they resold it to me and stick me with the costs. I've had much better dealings with Musicians Friend and Rondo.
powdercoater is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #34 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmando View Post
My Main St. ($89.00 & $28 S&H) was fine. My SX Three pickup T-Style ($178.46 shipped in a hard shell case) is a great guitar. My Affinity BSB Tele is great for $180.00. It depends on what you get and how much you want to tweak it. Cheap can be perfectly fine. That said, I have never played an Xaviere and there are POJ's out there.
Don't want to steal a thread or anything, but I have never heard of Main St. and I can't find any info on it.
Leland105 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #35 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

www.musiclandcentral.com/mastgu.html - some main st guitars
numi_v is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #36 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Welcome POWDERCOATER !!! Sorry to hear about your problem.

Chris B.

www.neonjones.com
guitarzan13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #37 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notalent View Post
My experience...BAD! Tele thinline copy, with p90s, it wound up in the fireplace, seriously.
I love it!

I bought a light set that was such a piece of crap I threw it in the dumpster when I got to the gig. It wasn't worth the hassle of packing it back up and send it back. I have a very low threshold for low quality.

www.telenator.com
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #38 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
I've tried several different types of GFS pickups (thinking there must be something to all the hype) and every one was rubbish, IMO.
Never again.

But I've liked every Mighty Mite pickup I've ever tried, and they are even cheaper. And not hyped.
I have to agree with you on both points. (Although I did keep some GFS alnico Strat pups.) Other than that, I didn't like any of them, never again.

I am using a MM p-90 now I love it.
Durtdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #39 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I looked at both of these for months, but then stumbled on "White Bridge Music". I bought a white signature series Tele and love it. The stock pickups were much better than expected. It has great sustain and just feels good. Best guitar purchase in a long time. And it has the proper headstock shape.

Phil gave a TDPRI discount code on top of already fantastic customer service. PM me if you'd like the code.

Old February 21st, 2010, 11:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I'm quite happy with my XV-820. There is always a risk when purchasing online, and even with "brand name" products YMMV. Bottom line is that the Xaviere works for me.
foolthatiam is offline   Reply With Quote