Best Wall Hanger For Telecaster? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 13th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Best Wall Hanger For Telecaster?

There was a thread on this 6 years ago but time for an update since I'm about to hang a tele and a few other guitars.

markw51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hercules, Hercules, Hercules!

I use these on all 7 of mine...(Not all teles,though)
They work Great!!Love them!!
http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GSP39WB.html
strat-o-teleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Standard String Swings do just fine. The ones I have are marked for "acoustic guitar" on the package, but they're fine.

And the fork/holder on them is easily shaped. Just squeeze it together with your hands a bit to make it a little smaller, and it'll grip the tiny tele headstock easily. No worries.

Why pay for more when these do just fine?

Rhythm is an area, not a point!
-My brother
superbadj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 13th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The Hercules GSP38WB http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GSP38WB.html will handle the smaller headstock just fine but there have been some complaints about the foam relic-ing the finish.

If I ever get anything expensive, I'm looking into a wall case with a glass door and support for the bottom of the guitar. Hopefully that will provide some neck relief and keep the dust off it as well. Not to mention being more accessible than a case in a closet.

Old July 13th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

+1 for the Hercules hangers. The hanger pivots nicely so the arms grab all wood. I've seen some that end up holding the tele up by the bottom tuning peg. The other nice thing is the automatic catch arms that open when you pick the guitar up. Some small peace of mind. Just make sure you get the ones that have the wood back. These have the two screws in vertical alignment so the both will go into a stud. The others have three screws in a triangle pattern, so at least one of the screws will miss the stud.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hercules...16-i1142262.gc

They work great for both electrics and acoustics.

Last edited by Tlon; July 13th, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Tlon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've always felt the hercules were a solution in search of a problem.

For one, the unnecessarily complicated/moving head that turns the bumpers to keep the guitar in the stand. If your guitar is getting knocked around by accident enough to come out, then you've got bigger problems to deal with.

And the string swings have a really long screw for the fork/holder, so just keep it screwed in all the way, then back it off 1 turn. It'll then turn just fine to accommodate the Tele/Strat headstocks, and it'll be more than secure enough.

At $10, they can't be beat.

-My brother

Old July 13th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

+ 1 for String Swing

Old July 13th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbadj View Post
I've always felt the hercules were a solution in search of a problem.

If your guitar is getting knocked around by accident enough to come out, then you've got bigger problems to deal with.
Superbad. Funny you should say that! We have that problem in Nevada...we had a spate (swarm?) of earthquakes last year, some that were close to five on the Richter Scale. The epicenter of most of these quakes were les than a mile from our house. Shook stuff off the walls and book cases. Some homeowners had significant structural damage. The quakes came and went for MONTHS. It was sad because people were watching the seismic measuring web sites like they do the weather sites. Nasty stuff. Any thing I hang WILL have a restraint system in place. But not at $22-23 a pop.
SimpleOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

i have the string swings - work just fine for all my guitars (they keep them out of the hands of my 7 & 4 year olds)
indiobravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have a few String Swings... they look and work well.

Old July 13th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have 3 guitars and 2 are on the wall, I use the hercules hooks which seem to work fine. I like the restraint system because we get earthquakes around here so it's just the little extra piece of mind. Plus when I went to GC to buy the wall hangers these were only $20 and the kind that work just like a hook from home depot ranged from $16 to $30. I figured the extra $4 was worth it especially because the $16 one was junk. I couldn't be happier with the quality of my Hercules wall hanger and I will probably buy more. The only problem was that it came with small screws which would probably hold the guitar when mounted to hard wood, but for my plaster walls I got some bigger screws and the plastic anchors.

Old July 13th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbadj View Post
I've always felt the hercules were a solution in search of a problem....If your guitar is getting knocked around by accident enough to come out, then you've got bigger problems to deal with.
I guess I have a problem too. Kids. It may not stop them forever (or even if they put all their weight on the thing and attempt to bring the wall and the guitar down), but a few longer anchor screws and the restraints on the holders give me a little peace of mind for those more occasional attempts to get it down. Earthquakes and kids. Seems like Hercules has found a market

But even without the restraints, he way the Hercules hangers adjust on the fly means I can put whatever guitar I have in my hand in the holder and it will fit. No screw adjustment. No bending anything. Worth the extra $10 to me. YMMV.
Tlon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

http://www.theguitarfiles.com/product_id-1875.html

I bought 5 of these when MF was blowing them out for like $5 each. Its great because they actually look very contemporary (being all black), have a very small footprint (which hasn't given me any trouble), and no one ever noticed that they are supposed to be coffins.

They also came with the plastic anchors so you can even put them in straight drywall.
homerzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hercules

Count me in as another satisfied Hercules fan. I have five guitars hanging using them.

Now the trick is to get a good support system for mounting them to the wall. The first pair I got came only with three tiny little screws for each hanger. The next batch had the screws and anchors - anchors I wouldn't trust even the cheapest Wal-Mart guitar too. I found something called a Zip-It #8 Self Drilling Anchor - Decorator Kit. They are rated to hold up to 60 pounds. With three of them in the wall it should be no problem to hold a 10 or 11 pound guitar. They are like sheet -rock anchors but they screw in. Found them at Orchard Supply and can't say enough good things about them - at least so far.

“My capacity to collect far exceeds my capability to play”.
TVCaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I think if I had earthquakes bad enough that I felt my wall hangers needed little plastic stoppers to keep the guitar on the wall....well, I'd just not hang my guitar.

Now kids, well, THAT's another story! I can understand that.

-My brother

Old July 13th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Count me in for the Hercules. I like the extra security of the guard pieces. It may be like wearing suspenders and a belt, but it can't hurt.

Old July 13th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I don't like wall hangers, its lynching the guitar.

I just rest mine against a desk with a cleaning rag against the headstock so it doesn't slip.

I've heard horror stories of guitars just randomly falling off the hangers and cracking or even breaking the guitar.. I saw that situation with my own eyes on a 2000 dollar cordoba acoustic.. split the body clean.
GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Kids heck, I'm the biggest problem! I've knocked my guitars off hangers, just being a klutz. I use a floor 4 in-line stand that the guitar bodies rest in, but those Hercules stands look impressive. Especially the wood anchor style that Tion wrote about. Since I just finished my basement, I think I'll check one, or a handful of those out.
bendecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I use Hercules, which handle Strat or Tele with equal ease.
blue metalflake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

+1 for string swing. I've got 6 in use right now, 3 for Tele style headstocks, absolutely no problem is mounted correctly.