Vintage Bridge to replace Mexican Standard bridge - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Vintage Bridge to replace Mexican Standard bridge

i'm building a partscaster from a 2009 MIM standard Lake placid blue body, MIM 60's RI maple/rosewood neck, and i'm ready to buy a bridge. i want a vintage-style one, but i am unsure which brands/models will fit the mounting and string holes on my MIM standard body. I'd rather not re-drill if possible. Can someone help me by giving me a link on ebay to suitable bridges, etc? i'm thinking either fender or joe barden, with compensated saddles. thanks!

Aidan.

amswafford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by amswafford View Post
i'm building a partscaster from a 2009 MIM standard Lake placid blue body, MIM 60's RI maple/rosewood neck, and i'm ready to buy a bridge. i want a vintage-style one, but i am unsure which brands/models will fit the mounting and string holes on my MIM standard body. I'd rather not re-drill if possible. Can someone help me by giving me a link on ebay to suitable bridges, etc? i'm thinking either fender or joe barden, with compensated saddles. thanks!

Aidan.

Aidan,

All the Mexican standards will accept any of the vintage type bridges, whether they are Joe barden, Callaham, Glendale or whatever..., with no alterations to the hole spacing. It's the American Standard that has the non-vintage bridge holes.

Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Right on for the Vintage, this is the Fender Vintage installed on a '06 MIM:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1752 [1024x768] (2).JPG
Views:	178
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	25850  
sjtalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I just installed this one last night on my 1992 MIM. I changed out the saddles to Fender '59 style threaded steel. Cool thing about this bridge is that it's drilled for toploaders like mine and string-through. The whole job took about half an hour. The guy has an Ebay store, so I'm sure he probably has more of them. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140321891148

Last edited by robb3566; May 24th, 2009 at 01:28 AM.
robb3566 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

All vintage style Telecaster bridges have essentially the same hole placement and spacing. Any bridge that doesn't isn't a vintage style bridge. You may see slight variation in hole spacing if you look at the specs for the bridges but these differences are negligible.

Disclaimer: When I say something.... always ask yourself ..... "What the hell does he know?"
I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person.
I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea.
Jack Wells is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb3566 View Post
I just installed this one last night on my 1992 MIM. I changed out the saddles to Fender '59 style threaded steel. Cool thing about this bridge is that it's drilled for toploaders like mine and string-through. The whole job took about half an hour. The guy has an Ebay store, so I'm sure probably he has more of them. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140321891148
I like that bridgeplate. Like the Wilkinson by Sung-Il, it appears to have the toploader holes well positioned: horizontally an even distance apart which supports good string spacing, and vertically relatively close to the bottom which supports keeping enough string break angle so you minimize the risk of strings sitaring on the saddle.

And while I was looking at it and contemplating buying the other one he had for sale, someone else bought it!
Attached Images

yegbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by amswafford View Post

Aidan.

Doesn't the MIM Standard body, have a 3 screw bridge that is not compatible with a 4 screw vintage bridge?
KevinB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The early '90s MIM Standard (did Fender name them the Standard model then?) Teles had a 3-screw-mount bridge. The position of those 3 screws is the same as on the early '80s revised standard MIA, the American Standard/Deluxe/Series, and most '90s Squier Teles. The position of those 3 screws is not the same as the current production Squier Standard Teles or other guitars that use that same bridge, or the Squier Affinity Tele.

The current production MIM Standards have a 4 screw mount bridge. The position of those screws is the same as a vintage style Fender bridge and the Gotoh modern/standard bridge.

Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for the clarification - I've never owned a MIM Standard.

I would think that there are many bridges then that will fit the OP's MIM body. Guitar Parts Resource - as well as most of the on-line retailers - has a wide selection including Fender, Gotoh, WIlkinson, Barden and a bunch of no-name cheapies.

Getting one to "Windy Wellington" in NZ might be an issue though!

Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Guitar Fetish sells a nice looking dual loading Korean made bridge with brass saddles. You can often get them for around $15 in an auction. They're finished nicer than Fender bridges

Disclaimer: When I say something.... always ask yourself ..... "What the hell does he know?"
I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person.
I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea.
Jack Wells is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Jack, I think just about every after market bridge is finished better than the Fender ones

I guess the Highway One bridge is not too bad though.

Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
Jack, I think just about every after market bridge is finished better than the Fender ones

I guess the Highway One bridge is not too bad though.
I agree with KevinB.

Aftermarket Tele vintage style bridges are slightly thicker, and smoother in the corners, than most Fender vintage style bridges. The Fender Highway 1 bridge is the exception. Here's one on my '69 Thinline, with the '69 Thinline saddles.

Old May 24th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by yegbert View Post
I agree with KevinB.

Aftermarket Tele vintage style bridges are slightly thicker, and smoother in the corners, than most Fender vintage style bridges. The Fender Highway 1 bridge is the exception. Here's one on my '69 Thinline, with the '69 Thinline saddles.

Yegbert would this bridge fit on a mexican telecaster?

Thanks!
waaronl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

If the MIM Standard accepts a vintage 4-hole bridge (as Yegbert says it does) then a Highway 1 bridge will fit with no problems.

I often see (and I've bought a few) these for sale on eBay by Reliable Fender/Stratosphere for under $20 complete with saddles. It's a very nicely made bridge. It is made from somewhat thicker steel than the Fender "Pat Pend" plate and many people think this cuts twang a little but boosts mids and sustain. I have one - with Callaham enhanced compensated saddles and a Lindy Fralin pickup on my Esquire and really like it.

Last edited by KevinB; May 24th, 2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Added photo

Old May 24th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by waaronl View Post
Yegbert would this bridge fit on a mexican telecaster?

Thanks!
That Hwy1 I posted a picture of is a vintage style Tele bridge. As such, it should fit the current production MIM Standard Tele.

Old May 24th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have a partscaster with a 2006 MIM Standard Tele body.

The bridge on it here is a vintage style bridge:

The bridge on it here is a Gotoh modern/standard GTC201:

Old May 24th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
Doesn't the MIM Standard body, have a 3 screw bridge that is not compatible with a 4 screw vintage bridge?
The '92 that I modded has three holes, which are almost completely covered by the new bridge. I could plug 'em, but it's a black finish so you don't really notice them unless you were looking carefully. Drilling the new holes was a snap...and somewhat surprisingly, the intonation wasn't difficult at all with three threaded saddles. Now I just have to play it a lot and sweat to 'relic' it. I'm hoping for that old 'rusty threaded saddle' look.

Old June 14th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

cool, thanks for all the replies. i went for a joe barden vintage, with comp. brass saddles, shipped from ebay to my inlaws in Cali, to post here!
amswafford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by yegbert View Post
I have a partscaster with a 2006 MIM Standard Tele body.

The bridge on it here is a vintage style bridge:

I used this one on my '04 tele
I like it a lot, you can ALMOST see the pickup route on both sides below the bridge but you have to look at it from an angle and then you can just see the smallest sliver so ehh no worries.

I don't know for sure how much it has improved the tone etc, I think it has definitely helped but I need more time with it.
waaronl is offline   Reply With Quote