What is it? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 25th, 2004, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

What is it?

Hi all, new to the forum and looking for advice.
Recently bought a tele after years of not playing, though only problem is this. Bought new from a local guitar shop who advertised it as a corona Tele, i thought this was wrong but bought it anyway, nice price. However does not have through body stringing nor did it come with case, does state "made in the USA" under the word telecaster and another decal showing "American Traditional" at the end of the head stock ( Looks like the strat contourd body decal), serial number shows N with a date in 1999.
Any ideas as I can not find any literature on any tele fitting this spec. Sounds good and plays really nicely

Cheers

John :D

jmast6662 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

"American Traditional"...

... guitars were intended for export.
Generally made in USA with lower grade parts I think.
Russinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks for that, Would seem to fit as I live in the UK.

Any idea how many were made, how long the run was offered for, colours? anything really......

ATB

John

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 25th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Actually little...

...if anything is documented here in the USA since they generally are not sold here as new guitars. There might be something on European or UK or Austrailian sites - I don't know. Most of what *I* know about it has been gathered off of other forums. :)
Russinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2004, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

The only "Traditional" Tele listed in the Blue Book or Gruhn's is the one made in Mexico, interesting that they don't list it at all, probably because it is export only.

There are some reviews on Harmony Central however, type "American Traditional Telecaster" into Google.

Old March 25th, 2004, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Che ers for that, though it says on the headstock made in the USA...having done some more research it appears this model was made in the USA from american parts, and all seem tom be 1999 vintage, the body ( Only available in black as all references are to black ) were shipped to the mexican factory and finished there then shipped back to the US for completion, then to keep the cost down were not supplied with a case, not even a gig bag. So they are constructed in the US for export only and would seem to have been only available in black. Why then do they not have through the body stringing? could it be they had a load of incorrectly manufactured and finished bodies and thought " I know we'll ship them abroad and call them "American Traditional" and get rid of them". Seems reasonable to me. Either way I cant fault mine, plays brilliantly and sounds excellent, and only cost me 350 new, and the shop gave me a gig bag.

If anyone else can shed some light on this model I would be obliged.

best to all

john