Logan Custom Guitar - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 13th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Logan Custom Guitar

Wow, my new Custom Tele came a few days ago and it is something dreams are made of. You can tell that great attention was paid everywhere. It's maple/maple neck and fret job was meticulous and it plays like a dream. It's nitro cellulose lacquered red coral swamp ash body is tops. It's Wilkinson 3 saddle compensated bridge with Wilkinson Alnico 5 pickups give it the typical and sought after Tele ping. As you know, I'm new here and will be glad to post a pic of it as soon as I can figure out how it's done. I've read a lot about the Logan Custom Guitar shop here on this forum and would like forum members to know that I'm really pleased with mine. Everything is top notch ! When some guitar manufacturers raised their prices recently thus putting their Teles out of my price range, I accidently came across this one custom guitar maker in Wisconsin and the rest is history. Yes, I commend Bob on his guitar making skill and recommend him to others who might be interested. I don't frequent this forum as often as I should so shoot me an email at riverrat@windjammercable.net if I can be of any help. Will post a pic or two ASAP. Glenn

Last edited by riverrat; February 13th, 2009 at 05:50 PM.
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The guitars look great, the prices look good, Mr B.L. sounds like a decent chap. I think what gets folks back up, is the advert like posting about the product. Have a look at some other threads. One guy even put a disclaimer at the bottom????

It would be much more pleasant if they just said, got a new Logan today, really pleased, here's the picture....
Rabog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

dammit! i am in the market for a new tele and was set on paying for a USA standard or a '52 reissue. i played a bunch of different teles yesterday and loved the '53 RI, but was disappointed with the build quality of one they had (noticable gaps at the neck joint), and liked the USA standard a close second. the mexican teles were not fun to play and can see why people are dropping $900 for the MIM road worn teles. i was impressed with the playability of the the squires and have read unbelievable reviews on the CV 50's Squire tele (they didnt have on at the shop yesterday) and was ready to pull the trigger on one of those, and then i came across this post. with the Squire tele you can score them for $300, but i was also gonna replace the bridge PU and the electronics with better quality parts and a 4-way switch. it may just be better to get exactly what i want in a Logan.
sbpark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 13th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
dammit! i am in the market for a new tele and was set on paying for a USA standard or a '52 reissue. i played a bunch of different teles yesterday and loved the '53 RI, but was disappointed with the build quality of one they had (noticable gaps at the neck joint), and liked the USA standard a close second. the mexican teles were not fun to play and can see why people are dropping $900 for the MIM road worn teles. i was impressed with the playability of the the squires and have read unbelievable reviews on the CV 50's Squire tele (they didnt have on at the shop yesterday) and was ready to pull the trigger on one of those, and then i came across this post. with the Squire tele you can score them for $300, but i was also gonna replace the bridge PU and the electronics with better quality parts and a 4-way switch. it may just be better to get exactly what i want in a Logan.
sbpark- do yourself a favor, use the searh feature on the forum. Look this builder up, read all the threads, and think about. After your research and contemplation, buy the guitar you feel comfortable with. Just dont rush into it without doing your due diligence
fendertx is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
My suggestion is pull the trigger on the CV 50's. It's the best bang for the buck on the market IMO. I've played them and they live up to the hype. You also cannot beat Musician's Friend's Customer service and return policy.

heres my good experiences w. Logan Customs

I would give Bob a call, hes a straightshooter over all the conversations I've had w/ him in the recent weeks.

I had a slight issue w/ mine after a couple days after I recieved it. So I contacted Bob to discuss my minor issues. His customer service is VERY good. My issue was resolved w/in a day. I would do business w/ Mr. Logan again.

Neck feels great, setup was quite good, better than most off the shelf guitars. One advantage is you get to choose everything you want from the ground up. Wood, color, pickup config, switching config, pickups, neck type, neck finish. I don't have the money for the expensive high end ones. I saw some Logan Custom threads pop up and started doing research (threads, his website, ebay). I decided to pull the trigger. I'm a happy customer. I should take receipt of another one on Thursday next week so I'll let y'all know how it goes.
littlewing6283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
The guitars look great, the prices look good, Mr B.L. sounds like a decent chap. I think what gets folks back up, is the advert like posting about the product. Have a look at some other threads. One guy even put a disclaimer at the bottom????
It would be much more pleasant if they just said, got a new Logan today, really pleased, here's the picture....
Rabog
Good idea, that. Go ahead and have a look at other threads. Presumably you meant other “Logan” threads, but to get a proper perspective one must compare apples to apples here. While searching these forums for other threads about the happy owners of Logan guitars, also take the time to look up threads on owners of custom guitars built by Kirn, Rice, Hahn, et al.

If you search thoroughly and honestly look a the results, you will see that satisfied customers/owners of Kirn, Rice, Hahn and other custom guitars start threads to rave about their new instruments. They speak in superlative terms (beautiful, amazing, awesome, great, outstanding, stunning, best), and make “advert like” claims such as “every bit of praise you've ever heard about his work is far less than he truly deserves.” They even include disclaimer statements. None of them limit themselves to “Got a new [insert brand name here] today, really pleased, here’s the picture…”

Nor should they have to. Please understand. My point is not to deprive owners of such guitars as those produced by Kirn, Rice or Hahn et al. of their right to post and boast. I do not begrudge them their exuberance or their use of superlative language and gushing, glowing praise for the builder that made their axe.

My point certainly is not to attack the character and/or reputations of Kirn, Rice, Hahn or others, nor is it to cast aspersions on the quality of the guitars they build. I do not know these men except by their posts here, and I have never even seen one of their guitars up close and in person, let alone played any of them. However, the “advert like” glowing testimonials found in the various threads in these forums are enough to convince me that they do good work.

My only point here is that there currently exists a double standard among some on this list. In the 9 months that I have been a member of the TDPRI, I have seen no other builder maligned as Bob has been. Maybe that kind of thing happened to someone else before my time. But in those months that I have been here I’ve seen nothing that compares to the knee jerk reaction of some against Bob and exuberant owners of his guitars.

The satisfied owners of Logan guitars have done nothing that others have not done in praise of their instruments and their builders. And yet no other owners of custom built guitars need worry about posting a thread to rave about the quality of their instruments or to praise the builder of said instruments. That dubious “honor” is reserved for grateful and satisfied customers of Logan Custom guitars.

So, for those who persist in maligning Logan Custom guitar owners, who are instantly suspicious of them, who belittle them and begrudge them their use of superlative language and “advert like” boasts, I respectfully request that you show some latitude in your responses. In other words, cut us a break, guys! We’re not doing one single thing that others haven’t done about other custom guitars, so please just show some tolerance.

Okay, so some have posted only about Logan guitars, and others have gone silent after such postings. The notion that *all* Logan supporters do this is patently untrue; it is nothing but a cruel caricature. But I’ll grant you that some have done it, and I’ll also grant that’s not the most thoughtful approach one could take. But again, it’s not behavior that is exclusive to Logan owners, so please don’t judge by two sets of rules.

And the oft repeated accusation of Bob posing as a satisfied customer raving about his guitar just to spam the list is flaming him, pure and simple, and it has never been even remotely close to being proven true. In fact, it has been proven false, and Bob is a member here; he’s one of us, guys. He loves Telecasters. And yet this unfounded and mean-spirited slander persists, even in this thread. That is a far greater breach of etiquette than posting only about one’s own guitar and then returning or resorting to lurking on the list. Such rancor is but a poor reflection on the perpetrator, that kind of behavior is uncalled for and a burden to the list.

Come on, fellow Tele lovers. We can do better than this.

The soon to be famous musician/Cranks out Top 40 tunes in a bar/While his mind is somewhere on vacation/Far away from his voice and guitar
Bob Bennett
LGOberean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator
Doctor of Teleocity

The thing that gets people upset about Logan post is that it's always a new poster with one or two previous posts. So, they jump to the conclusion that the poster is a shill.

While we would really not like a shill poster... consider this everyone.

GOOGLE.

See, you buy a new Logan Tele. You're excited and you want to share that and talk about it. So, you Google Logan Tele and you get a link here. So, in your raw enthusiasm you quickly join and make your first post a message here about how much you like your Logan Tele.

And what happens?

6 guys here become vigilante post police and they jump your case, drain your enthusiasm and drive the new poster away never to return.

So here's what I'd like you to do: STOP IT!
TDPRI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

error
Rabog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I was deleted for posting a smiley?

Last edited by Tonemonkey; February 14th, 2009 at 01:23 PM.
Tonemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
The thing that gets people upset about Logan post is that it's always a new poster with one or two previous posts.
TDPRI

Respectfully, Paul, I submit that that is not always the case. I wouldn't agree that it's even most often the case without tangible evidence to that effect, but I won't press the matter, since my point of disagreement is over your use of the word "always."

Quote:
See, you buy a new Logan Tele. You're excited and you want to share that and talk about it. So, you Google Logan Tele and you get a link here. So, in your raw enthusiasm you quickly join and make your first post a message here about how much you like your Logan Tele.

And what happens?

6 guys here become vigilante post police and they jump your case, drain your enthusiasm and drive the new poster away never to return.

TDPRI

May I ask to whom that last imperative is directed? In the context it could be either the enthusiastic owner of a new Logan Tele or the self-appointed "vigilante post police."

The soon to be famous musician/Cranks out Top 40 tunes in a bar/While his mind is somewhere on vacation/Far away from his voice and guitar
Bob Bennett

Old February 14th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGOberean View Post
May I ask to whom that last imperative is directed? In the context it could be either the enthusiastic owner of a new Logan Tele or the self-appointed "vigilante post police."
I think that's obvious. People leaping on posters. There's enough to discuss here without getting a persecution complex about every post, especially one by Paul.

Old February 14th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
I think that's obvious. People leaping on posters.
Tonemonkey

Well, I am gaurdedly optomistic that you are right, but that conclusion is anything but obvious. The ambiguity of the pronoun "you" in the English language is probably the culprit here. As I'm sure you know, the pronoun "you" can refer to either 2nd person singular or 2nd person plural.

Take another look at the quote I excerpted from Paul's post.

Quote:

And what happens?

TDPRI

In it, the pronoun "you" (and the adjective "your") was used exlusively in the 2nd person singular, referring to the Logan Tele owner.

By contrast, the "People leaping on posters," as you put it, or in Paul's words, "vigilante post police," are referenced in the plural, i.e., "6 guys" and "they."

So if, in the the very last sentence, in Paul's directive, if "you" was meant to be understood as the 2nd person plural pronoun, then that plural application represents a sudden departure from every other occurrence of the pronoun "you." Given the context, then, calling for a clarification is in order.

Quote:
There's enough to discuss here without getting a persecution complex about every post, especially one by Paul.
Tonemonkey
Your dig is off the mark and not appreciated. Again, I justifiably asked for a clarification, nothing more. That hardly constitutes a "persecution complex." Do you seriously think that if I were suffering from such a complex that I would challenge and correct the list owner in this thread? I could have instead dropped the subject or contacted him privately. And in fact I considered that latter option, but thought better of it, thinking that I need not fear voicing a difference of opinion and asking for clarification openly in this forum.

Bob Bennett

Old February 14th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Like I said...it's obvious.

He explains why people come here to show off their pride and joy (google etc).

Then uses the term vigilante (not a compliment in my society, not so sure about Texas) to describe people shouting them down and scaring them off.

Maybe he should have used the pronoun "One" to distinguish Logan owners.

As for justifiably asking for clarification, I'm not sure anyone of us has the right to demand anything of anyone on a message board about guitars.

Your desire for clarification appears disproportionate to the "wrong" that you perceive to have been done.

I think I am now losing my sense of proportion too....so I'm gonna play "trains" with my kids.

See Ya.

Old February 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hi everyone I am new on here....LGOberean and i have something in common...we are proud owners of Logan guitar ....i liked mine so much i asked Bob Logan to make me a custom bass guitar.....i was talking to him on the phone last evening and he will be sending it to me next week....it is my opinion....myself only....that his guitars are superior to fender....and i own a fender telecaster.....

well...Happy Valentines Day everyone
telecaster man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Like I said...it's obvious.
Tonemonkey
Okay, we disagree about that, and of course you have a right to that opinion. I have stated my reasons for seeing it as less than obvious, and I stand by them (no need to repeat them here).

Quote:
Then [Paul] uses the term vigilante (not a compliment in my society, not so sure about Texas) to describe people shouting them down and scaring them off.
Tonemonkey
I got that Paul was not offering a compliment.

Quote:
Maybe he should have used the pronoun "One" to distinguish Logan owners.
Tonemonkey
Yes, that might very well have helped.

Quote:
As for justifiably asking for clarification, I'm not sure anyone of us has the right to demand anything of anyone on a message board about guitars.
Tonemonkey
“demand” ??? Who said anything remotely close to “demand” (besides you, that is)? Where *do* you get these things?

The truth of the matter is I submitted my *request* in the form of a polite and respectful question (“May I ask…”) and then subsequently referred to my request by saying “I justifiably asked for a clarification…”

And actually, you began this point of your post by saying “As for justifiably asking for clarification …” so you did on the one hand acknowledge that I made a request. To then immediately turn around and completely change the nature of what I said (you could hardly have chosen a better antonym) is indeed a misrepresentation of my words and deportment in this request of Paul.

Look, let’s end this. I am standing up for myself here by countering the misrepresentation of my words and the impugning of my motives. In doing so, I have disagreed with and taken exception to your words and notions about me, but I have not attacked you personally, nor will I. I have no desire to have a fellow TDPRI member and Tele lover as an enemy.

All I want is to respectfully discuss Teles and related topics. I just want to do that enjoying the same privilege as other members, i.e., being able to mention my own particular brand of guitar without being subjected to barbed comments and/or the pasting of sarcastic/rolling eyes smilies.

Bob Bennett

Old February 14th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Larry

I'm not your enemy, and never will be. We're just chatting and debating ( I thought about grammatical semantics), no impugning intended. I've certainly never implied anything regarding your motives.

I respect your opinion. Regret that you would take offence at anything I have said. Demand means ask, the fact that the "request" was made repeatedly suggests a certain persistence...hence, demand. Not intended to infer as impolite or forceful.

Additionally, I respect Bob's ability to build and your opinion of his work.

I'll know 1st hand soon!

You seem to speak well for a North American!

Old February 14th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
You seem to speak well for a North American!
Tonemonkey

As the smilies indicate, I literally threw my head back and laughed out loud when I read the above line! So, there's hope for this Yank yet, eh? I have quipped elsewhere in this forum that I am bilingual: I can speak English or talk Texan, yer choice!

Bob Bennett