Classic Vibe Upgrades? - Page 3 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Closed Thread

Old January 8th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #41 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Steve G, how about a pic?? I'd like to see how that looks. Kinda tired of the black pickguard.

Old January 8th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #42 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo View Post
xjazzy, I'm just waiting on that post! Seriously, it's what I wanna do but am afraid as it's my first mod ever. I'm very excited about your post...how long you gonna make me/us wait?????
Hey hugo, I've already posted around about the mods. But has soon as I have 30 min. free here at work I'll give you all the info

https://soundcloud.com/jotacaster

Old January 8th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #43 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Some minutes free now...

A few months ago I bought a Esquire pickguard from a fellow TDPer and I was planing to use a Eden neck I had at home. After searching a body I saw that buying the whole CV would be a lot cheaper. I could always put there the Eden neck that is really nice and Esquire it.

After I got the CV I was not too much excited about the neck PU (not bad, but I'm used to my Classic 50's neck PU wich I love and this one didn't compare to it) so Esquire it is.
I just forgot the idea about changing the neck. I love the CV neck.

The first thing I did was lower the neck PU and putting there the Esquire guard. The middle position sounded nice (like just the bridge PU with a little more bass and less output). Great for rhythm work. But the neck PU was low sounding and muddy.

I was really curious to hear a real Esquire so I pulled out the neck PU. Since the only cap I had was a .22 that came with my no load tone pot, I tried the simple wiring adding the .22cap to the switch. I didn't worked out following the diagram shown on the resources board of the TDPRI so I followed the Seymour Duncan wiring diagram for the Esquire but with just the .22cap. Worked fine but I find the cocked wha position useless.

Like I said somewhere, I liked the position without the tone cause you can really hear the difference. It works a lot better than the no-load tone pot on my Classic 50's.

So, now my plan is to play around with other cap values (0.01, 0.0022 and 0.0047) to see if I can bound with the sound.
If I'm not happy with that, I'll add a Keystone neck PU with no cover under the guard and try to at least get a nice middle position sound.

Sorry for the long post and for my bad english.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 8th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #44 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Steve G, how about a pic?? I'd like to see how that looks. Kinda tired of the black pickguard.
Whilst I think the blackguard is a totally classic look, so was I. Ive had a resurgence of white pg's on a couple of my teles and Im loving it.

I feel the white accentuates the colour of the body rather than the black pickguard making it look more white than it is.

Sadly, Im a slightly worse photographer than I am a guitar player-

http://www.facebook.com/bluesr

Old January 8th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #45 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Steve, thanks for explaining it all and that looks so sweet with the white pickguard. Now I have to change mine out too. I plan on doing an esquire soon. Right now my wife and I are renting a house while our home gets renovated. So, most of my guitars are there and so are all my tools. This house has no space to work in, so it might be awhile but since it's going to be my first mod. I may take apart a couple other teles to see what it's all about. I've never looked at the guts of any of my guitars before so it should be fun and interesting.
The one thing I do know, is Esquires are my absolute favorite in sound and looks. I plan on switching a few over. I have this Spec. Ed. Tele that's all black with a black pg. I thought that would be one sweet looking esquire.
Again, thanks for the explanation and the pic. Beautiful guitar man.

Old January 8th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #46 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Oh, I forgot the pic.
Really bad but it was night and I just used the phone camera:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03012009173.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	18663  

Old January 8th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #47 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

xjazzy, they're both beautiful guitars. Man that CV is sweet isn't it?? I'm still waiting on my second one to come in.
Where should I order my pickguard from?
Here's my plan. I've asked for a quote from Warmouth on a body that's paintable. I want no neck pickup cavity. I want the routing on the back. I want a hole drilled for the vol. knob and a hole drilled for the tone knob. I want a top loader bridge and a cavity routed for the bridge pickup.
Waiting for a respons. Then once I get the body I'm going to start ordering the parts I need. I will probably use the guts from another tele to do this with the exception of the bridge and pickup.
I hope it all goes well.
Dude, can you tell me what I need to order in parts as far as just converting a tele to an esquire. I'm talking pots, capacitors, wiring and the proper solder to use. As you can see, this will be my first time doing any of this stuff. I just thought you may have some recommendations.
I think I'll do the cocked wah as well.
The one I plan on building will not have the cocked wah since I won't have a switch in it at all.

Old January 8th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #48 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

hugo, you didn't read my post above, did you?
Steve G's CV pic made you forget mine

Old January 8th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #49 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Steve, didn't I respond further up on yours? If not, I'm sorry because that white pickgurad you did is why I'm changing mine. It looks so much better doesn't it?? I'm just so tired of the usual black pickguard.

Old January 8th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #50 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjazzy View Post
hugo, you didn't read my post above, did you?
Steve G's CV pic made you forget mine
Xjazzy I think I need another one now to make an esquire from. Its a beauty.

Quote:
Steve, didn't I respond further up on yours? If not, I'm sorry because that white pickgurad you did is why I'm changing mine. It looks so much better doesn't it?? I'm just so tired of the usual black pickguard.
Yes Hugo, I read your post, I cant be responsible for any extra expenditure you may incur in modding! Its a great first mod as its just five screws and as the neck pickup is mounted to the body not the pickguard you don't need to dismantle anything else to do it.

http://www.facebook.com/bluesr

Old January 10th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #51 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

So, just for fun (mobile phone camera quality):

Old January 12th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #52 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My Classic Vibe rocks, i switched the neck pickup to a Fender 60's noisless unit and i installed Schaller locking tuners. This is really a great guitar! It's priced right and the finish is much better than i expected.

"I woke up this morning and realized i lost my mood ring... now i don't know how to feel about that"!

Old January 12th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #53 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Thx voodooy, so:

Q1 -fitting the Schallers... straight in and perfect match or MIC tuner holes undersized and you filed them 'em out?

Old January 12th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #54 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I had to Drill the holes bigger. I was a little concerned about chipping the clear coat, but if you start slow and use sharp drill bit it's not an issue. I've done this on other guitars too. Filing would have taken forever due the difference in hole size. Remove the old tuners, pop out the bushings, and drill. I don't remember what the exact drill size was but it's slightly larger than 3/8". The Schallers are so much better, i played for about an hour and bent strings like crazy... the out of tune issue is no longer a problem.

"I woke up this morning and realized i lost my mood ring... now i don't know how to feel about that"!

Old January 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #55 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

X-jazzy, thx a lot for the videos. My CV is gettin the Esquire treatment soon, so that hit the spot down here.

One thing, could you video the secret handshakes etc for the CV Esquire Stonecutters so I can get ready to join? :)

Last edited by Carzee; January 17th, 2009 at 04:57 PM.

Old January 12th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #56 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
... the out of tune issue is no longer a problem.
thx for that. Was it an issue for gigs or what?

FYI, the only way I could get a dollar for playing would be as a street busker outside a Hearing Impaired Fundraiser.

Old January 12th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #57 (permalink)
PJ
Friend of Leo's

Well....I have a CV on order, due in - in about a week. I have a Fender bridgeplate on order, a couple chrome-dome knobs, a chrome control plate and a CRL switch. I reckon those are the required mods (for me anyway).
I'll see how the tuners play. They seem OK on the ones I've played. The nickel
bridge and hardware aren't Tele enough for me. Oh, and I have a set of Texas Specials in my drawer that are sure to find their way into the CV.

Old January 17th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #58 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have begun the CV conv to Esquire.

Using a Keystone bridge pup, a Callaham bridge and a Callaham loaded control plate; .047 cap

The loaded unit includes lovely domed knobs, top hat and -most importantly- some real nice soldering, way above my pay grade. I was concerned that in heating the pots to flow the solder I may over do it using my junky iron.

This unit is reverse wired (3 way switch to rear). 3 way CRL. 250k cts pots.

So far;

I have removed the CV electrics as a unit. I tried the loaded control plate in the cavity; the CV cavity has deep ends and a shallow center. The tone pot and its assoc caps bottoms out and I will have to remove the island for a start.

I have some nice proper wire I ordered for this wiring job. I have a electrosocket /switchcraft jack assembly ready as well.

I have also removed the CV bridge and pup of course. Bridge is nice and thick, not too much thinner than the Callaham. I checked the CV body alignment with bridge holes and its all real nice. I am using the CV bridge screws, not the us spec Callaham screws which were supplied. The pine body, or probably any wood for that matter, would suffer damage to the threads (bad for vibes) as other TDPRI threads have mentioned.
Before mounting the bridge and tightening the screws I used a toothpick to install a touch of wood glue (PYA) in the thread holes to aid tightening as per the neck sustain posts on TDPRI.

To do;

a.... the CV cavity has deep ends and a shallow center. The tone pot and its assoc caps bottoms out in the cavty and I will have to remove the island to allow the control plate to fit properly.

b.... solder the pup grd wire and bridge grd wire to rear of the volume pot and one hot wire from pup to a post on the CRL 3 way marked out by Callaham.

c.... solder the jack grd wire to the back of the tone pot and the hot wire goes to a post (? which one) on the vol pot according to the SD website Esquire diagram. LOOKING FOR A CLUE ABOUT THIS

d.... new strings/retune

e.... As yet I do not have a proper esquire pickguard -I will leave it for now. I may simply use some alfoil and some race tape to cover the neck pup hole on the blackguard (putting it on underside of pickguard).

Last edited by Carzee; January 19th, 2009 at 05:02 AM.

Old January 17th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #59 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carzee View Post
X-jazzy, thx a lot for the videos. My CV is gettin the Esquire treatment soon, so that hi the spot down here.

One thing, could you vid the secret handshakes etc for the CV Esquire Stonecutters so I can get ready to join?
Please let us hear it when you're done.

Sorry, but my english don't go so far and I couldn't understand what you said on the last sentece!

Old January 17th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #60 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Heh - so much for "2b1ask1." THIS group plays really hard to get! ;)

Closed Thread