Spacers for the srting tree? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 1st, 2008, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Spacers for the srting tree?

On my new MIM tele there are no spacers on the string tree, nor on my MIM strat. I had an old Squire strat with large head lying around that did have 2 trees with spacers, put those on my tele and strat and wonder if that was a good idea or not. There is considerably less pull on the tree now, its still putting some angle on, but perhaps not enough?

Iceman0124 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2008, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

took out the spacer

I removed the spacer from the string tree to get a steeper angle across the nut. For some reason I was getting a 'sitar' sort of sound in the high strings. Taking out the space was the fix.

Mark
kingofdogs1950 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2008, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I was with my friend when he bought an MIM a while ago and I thought it was kind of weird that there was no spacer. I guess it makes sense in some cases after reading kingofdogs1950's post.
PaisleyIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 1st, 2008, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Can I get a picture of what we are talking about? I know string trees, however I'm not sure what the spacer is. Thanks

Old December 1st, 2008, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The part that hooks over the strings does not (in this case) extend all the way to the headstock. There is a little cylindrical piece of metal that the screw is concealed by and sits between the head and the top of the string tree.

Old December 1st, 2008, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Former Member
Doctor of Teleocity

Keep in mind that all Butterfly type string trees are not the same....some have deeper "Wings" than others, and don't require or need a spacer...also string trees are quite individual to each guitar, and can be exchanged and tweaked to fit your particular needs and string angle....just sayin.
mellecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

A quick question... string angle... what does it do?

Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Reed View Post
A quick question... string angle... what does it do?
its the angle at which the string passes over the nut from the fretboard... from the flat surface of a fretboard it should have a bit of an angle as the string passes over the nut, otherwise the string vibrations wont be stopped by the nut. which is why some people have a sitar like problem, because instead of being stopped by the nut, the string is vibrating inside the nut slot.

here is an example of a les paul which has an angled head stock....

... most fenders dont have this headstock angle, which means there isnt enough of an angle on the string which is why string trees are used... to push the strings down on the headstock to create an angle.

JasonRobert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofdogs1950 View Post
I removed the spacer from the string tree to get a steeper angle across the nut. For some reason I was getting a 'sitar' sort of sound in the high strings. Taking out the space was the fix.

Mark
OK I have the same problem and thought it had something to do with that string tree (since it was the 2 strings attached to it) I have the circle type string tree, there are 2 grooves which I am assuming that the strings go into, what you are saying is if I take the tree completely off (I have loosened it before to get the grooves to line up with the strings but never completely removed it) there are 3 pieces involved, a cylinder, a screw, and a spacer? is the screw head large enough to hit both strings without that spacer? I mean obviously it is in your case, but on the circular kind? I cant visualize this at the moment, but I need to put new strings on anyways so I'll look into it, but please enlighten me while Im at work :D
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Noname, I took off a circular one like the one you're talking about to put one on with "wings", and there was no spacer on it (the circular one).

Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

lots of different stringtrees

I looked through the stringtrees that I have on guitars or in my parts box. I counted five different trees. I don't have measurements for how close to the headstock each holds the strings but there's probably 1/8+" height difference from the tallest to the lowest. I've had better luck with the trees that hold the strings lower, giving a larger break angle. I am referring to only trees for the high E and B strings. BTW, sitar sounds can also come from an improperly cut nut.

Mark
kingofdogs1950 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have a Les Paul, which obviously has no trees. I get a major Ravi Shankar vibe on the
2nd & 3rd frets of the B string. What gives?