What's Up With the StratoSphere on eBay? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.
   

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.


Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com


Forum Jump


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister
 
rob5755's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Freehold NJ
Age: 53
Posts: 452
What's Up With the StratoSphere on eBay?

Just curious...do they buy blems and seconds from GC or MF and then part them out? Where the heck do they get all of their guitar parts?!?!?!?

rob5755 is offline  

Old November 13th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted
 
graphs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,763
I don't know about blems, but they definitely part out brand new guitars. Seems to be a good business model for them!
graphs is offline  

Old November 13th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: London UK
Posts: 765
I have a theory that they either are the sideline to an official dealer or have a deal with a Fender dealer and therefore get guitars at wholesale prices. The amount of Highway 1s they part out is quite amazing - I doubt that model just happens to be the most returned/blemished of the Fender line. More likely because it is the cheapest US model they can get bigger return by selling the parts - after all, except for the bodies they never mention "Highway 1" in any ads, it's always "2008 American Fender Telecaster Tele NECK Guitar USA".
Some things go for very reasonable prices (I've bought a few bits from them recently) but necks seem to always be at a premium. If you look at how much they sell loaded bodies and necks for, it doesn't add up to the floor price of the model, so they must be getting wholesale prices to make it worthwhile.
I've seen a couple of other dealers who obviously get blemished/returns from GC/MF as they have had a few FSR Standard Ash they've sold, all listed as "blemished". Perhaps they make regular trips to the returns warehouse?
gsh1968 is offline  

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting
 

Old November 13th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted
 
RatherBeFishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Where the trout are.
Posts: 1,124
I've read on here that they are an authorized dealer and part the guitars out to sell on ebay. Fender will not allow dealers to sell entire instruments on ebay so it is an interesting loophole. The parts are accurately described and mint except for the occasional used guitar which is described as so. I've made a few orders and only ever had one issue with a set of staggered tuners which did not have a proper stagger. A refund was eventually made but communication proved to be a nightmare surely due to the massive amount of transactions they have going at any one time.
RatherBeFishing is offline  

Old November 13th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
ajgus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBear View Post
I've read on here that they are an authorized dealer and part the guitars out to sell on ebay. Fender will not allow dealers to sell entire instruments on ebay so it is an interesting loophole. The parts are accurately described and mint except for the occasional used guitar which is described as so. I've made a few orders and only ever had one issue with a set of staggered tuners which did not have a proper stagger. A refund was eventually made but communication proved to be a nightmare surely due to the massive amount of transactions they have going at any one time.
I see dealers selling Fenders all the time. Lot of shops that sell them locally also post ads on ebay.
__________________
"...it's just a wonderful sound..."- GE Smith
ajgus is offline  

Old November 13th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Former Member
Doctor of Teleocity
 
mellecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Desperadoville..USA
Posts: 13,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgus View Post
I see dealers selling Fenders all the time. Lot of shops that sell them locally also post ads on ebay.
Yep...Many Dealers sell New Fenders on E-Bay...have been for years.
mellecaster is offline  

Old November 13th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
RIP
Tele-Holic
 
Steinar G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Norway
Age: 55
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellecaster View Post
Yep...Many Dealers sell New Fenders on E-Bay...have been for years.
Problem for us "foreigners" is that most (all?) authorized Fender dealers in the US won't ship abroad, probably in agreement with Fender to protect international distributors. No such problems when buying parts from Stratosphere..
__________________
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Steinar G is offline  

Old November 13th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Telefied
 
Mark Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Bakersfield Ca.
Age: 64
Posts: 31,442
They are Fender dealers get the guitars for 1/2 the retail prioce like all dealers do then they part them out and make more $$ than if selling the while guitar.

Fenders job is to sell guitars to dealers once its in the dealers hands Fender doesnt care what happens to it.
__________________
I'm so blind my seeing eye dog needs glasses.
Mark Davis is offline  

Old November 13th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted
 
RatherBeFishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Where the trout are.
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgus View Post
I see dealers selling Fenders all the time. Lot of shops that sell them locally also post ads on ebay.
Sorry, my mistake then. I was just going on what I had read from previous posts on the forum. I believe that there is an entire thread on Reliablefender/Stratosphere that goes into great detail on the seller's operation.
RatherBeFishing is offline  

Old November 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister
 
MatteusNova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden, Svipjˇ­
Posts: 319
They also sell a lot of CIJ parts, so they have to get guitars from other places as well, or?
__________________
Telecaster is my thang, cuss it got that twang...
MatteusNova is offline  

Old November 13th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Former Member
Doctor of Teleocity
 
mellecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Desperadoville..USA
Posts: 13,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatteusNova View Post
They also sell a lot of CIJ parts, so they have to get guitars from other places as well, or?
Good point...CIJ and now MIJ, make up a large part of their inventory.
mellecaster is offline  

Old November 13th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Telefied
 
boris bubbanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA + in the
Posts: 36,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBear View Post
Sorry, my mistake then. I was just going on what I had read from previous posts on the forum. I believe that there is an entire thread on Reliablefender/Stratosphere that goes into great detail on the seller's operation.

Steinar caught the detail. Fender won't let certain guitars designated for sale in certain markets be cross-sold into another market. So, for example we cannot get 90 percent of the CIJ models (95%?) whole in the US, only as parts.

I believe Stratosphere gets their guitars for less than Guitar Center, in most cases, just intuition however, can't prove my hunch. If this is not true, I think they're in deep trouble as used guitars on e-bay are cheaper all the time and the "Lure of the Swapped Body" may as a trend have run its course.

I just don't see enough demand for each and every pieces-part on a Highway One. I'll be they pay $ 250 or less apiece in lots of 100-200 guitars.
boris bubbanov is online now  

Old November 13th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic
 
johnnytronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Big Apple, NYC
Age: 64
Posts: 972
The guy is selling a TON of Highway One necks, and, with misleading descriptions selling them as "American Telecaster ". This is of course true to an extent, but I wonder how many folks are buying these thinking that they are getting an American Standard neck, which is a more desirable piece.
__________________
We all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun........John Lennon
johnnytronics is offline  

Old November 13th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maple Ridge, Canada
Posts: 4,116
They make a killing on hardware. I cant tell you how many times I've seen that stuff go for more than the brand new retail price.
Shepherd is offline  

Old November 13th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCAL
Posts: 74
I recently went through my 1st Tele (partscaster) build - based on a HW1 body and neck obtained on Ebay, from Stratosphere. I had all the same questions in my mind about how they do business, but I guess it works for them.

In the end, even though I did not use all HW1 components, it felt kind of weird to basically re-assemble a new guitar; like it went through some kind of contemporary e-based transporter process/machine that I was a part of. It was exploded into it's pieces, shipped by various means to a destination (my house), ending up back in mostly it's original form sitting in my lap making music. Just thought I'd share that thought. I'll stop now.

BTW, I am in the process of polishing out the body - it looks sooo much better.
LBrewski is offline  

Old November 13th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
Frontier9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Greetings from Sunny New Jersey
Age: 55
Posts: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBrewski View Post
I recently went through my 1st Tele (partscaster) build - based on a HW1 body and neck obtained on Ebay, from Stratosphere. I had all the same questions in my mind about how they do business, but I guess it works for them.

In the end, even though I did not use all HW1 components, it felt kind of weird to basically re-assemble a new guitar; like it went through some kind of contemporary e-based transporter process/machine that I was a part of. It was exploded into it's pieces, shipped by various means to a destination (my house), ending up back in mostly it's original form sitting in my lap making music. Just thought I'd share that thought. I'll stop now.
LOL - kinda like the replicator on the Starship Enterprise, only - uh - different...
Frontier9 is online now  

Old November 13th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
GuitarJonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Central Mass.
Posts: 3,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
They make a killing on hardware. I cant tell you how many times I've seen that stuff go for more than the brand new retail price.
I love how he lists the model the hardware came from, like Kluson style tuners from a signature model strat. I've seen him get over $65 for a set of these, which are probably exactly the same as on the cheaper models, and should go for $20-25. Some of his items sell low too, so I guess it all balances out, and he makes a decent living.
GuitarJonz is offline  

Old November 13th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister
 
MatteusNova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden, Svipjˇ­
Posts: 319
They have a CIJ neck I want, or need, since I have a CIJ body it would fit well into. (The MIM necks are about 0.9mm thinner at the heal). This neck also has all the other things I'm after, logo, etc. But the going price for it, say 350 or more is about what I could get that whole Tele for used in Japan. So it's no deal, and the neck don't even come with the tuners, bah!
__________________
Telecaster is my thang, cuss it got that twang...
MatteusNova is offline  

Old November 13th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted
 
blacklinefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northwest Missouri
Age: 46
Posts: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier9
LOL - kinda like the replicator on the Starship Enterprise, only - uh - different...
Well, that would be like re-assembling the captain with Spock's hair. Your analogy is fine.
blacklinefish is offline  

Old November 13th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister
 
Brendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 403
I just bought a loaded lefty Jaguar body from them. The body was mint, but the pickguard showed signs of playing. It also had SD pickups in it and I'm sure they weren't aware of that. I watch his lefty stock and he gets a fair share of "Japan only" stock. I wonder if they have an arrangement with an overseas dealer. ..
Brendan is offline  

Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


» Random Photo for Guests
92 MIM Hardtail
Untitled Document



 


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



IMPORTANT:Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult! No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
© TDPRI.COM 1999 - 2014 All rights reserved.