Is there a better value than Warmoth? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 6th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Is there a better value than Warmoth?

On these SPECIFIC parts:

Neck - Boatneck Contour - Vintage Modern Radius - One Piece Maple, 1-11/16 in., Boatneck $135.00

I'd prefer a standard 9 1/2" radius with Medium Jumbo frets only because I know I like it, but I suspect I will be just as happy with this.

Body - Standard Tele body with modern routing - Poplar, Top Routed, T X T, Hardtail 4 lbs, 13 oz $129.00

The body will be covered with paint, so grain is not an issue. The poplar body doesn't seem any heavier than alder bodies that are $30.00 more.

These parts are for project guitar #1, so I'm not looking to create a "masterwork", but rather gain some experience without breaking the bank.

BeeTL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I think that It'd be hard to beat them and have the same level of confidence that everything will be done correctly and will fit, etc.
Synchro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Warmoth necks are VERY good, but every one I've bought has required a LOT of fret levelling.

jkingma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 6th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I would check the web specials at USA Custom Guitars. I find their fret work to be first rate...
Rick W

Old November 6th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I can't compare them to any other makers, but I have two Warmoth necks. I love them both.
WisconsinStrings is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

You'd have a hard time beating that value. All my body and neck purchases have been consistently great quality and fit.

As for frets, no third party vendor levels at this price. They are all pressed and glued in with very consistent and controlled pressures and are about as level as one can get using that process. For the ultimate in low action, any neck from any vendor would require a level and dress after the neck had been mounted on the guitar, strung up, adjusted, and the stresses all settled. OTOH, many people run with them right out of the box.
fullerplast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Got two Warmoth necks, both didn't require any fretwork (but I ordered them with SS frets, maybe that makes a difference?)
RomanS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

If this is a learning exercise why don't you buy a complete Telecaster kit off of eBay for $125 complete including free shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/Online-Guitar-TC...742.m153.l1262

Old November 6th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

"With snap on connections! No soldering!"

... wow... look at the headstock shape too...
PixelMover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelMover View Post
"With snap on connections! No soldering!"

... wow... look at the headstock shape too...
Quite right. You are supposed to cut and shape the headstock yourself if you expect to look like a fender. A small bit of wood shaping is required which is a useful skill to acquire. Nothing says you can't snip off the wiring connectors and solder it yourself that is a skill worth having too.

I think original poster was looking to gain some entry level experience assembling and setting up a bucket of bolts which is what putting a telecaster together is. I don't exactly see people hand crafting any Gibson Byrdlands from scratch in this forum either so let's not kid ourselves I do not see any luthiers here.

Main difference is he gets to learn and make mistakes for 1/4 the price of a warmoth when you add the cost of the hardware and electrics and shipping and then sell it for probably what he put into it.

Old November 6th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The Saga kit is interesting, for sure, but I'd like some degree of confidence the finished product would be a real player's guitar, no matter what it looks like.

I can always re-do the finish, but you're right, I'm not expecting to become a luthier, and I don't expect to be able to make a pumpkin into Cinderella's coach...

Old November 6th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Here are the Harmony Central product reviews of the Saga TC-10 kit and there are quite a lot of them, 34 reviews of it so start reading. The overall impression I got is if you put in the work you can wind up with a pretty decent guitar. Does not seem like a big risk to me.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...aga/TC-10/10/1

Old November 6th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

i wound up with a built Saga LP...well done job but not at all comparable to Warmoth. In fact, I'd call it barely passable quality even though it is a good player. A good Squier would be nicer all around.

I have three Warmoth Fatback necks and one body and all are really, really fine.

I'd say go with Warmoth if you're feeling good about it...you can't go wrong, especially with the necks.

Saga strikes me as a Boy Scout merit badge type project. Warmoth is the real deal.
mojo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I probably wasn't clear enough in post #1.

I currently own an American Deluxe V Neck Strat, and want to build a Tele with the same feel, hence the reference to SPECIFIC Warmoth parts.

There's nothing in the Saga listing that leads me to believe it's even close to what I'm looking for neck-wise: 1 11/16 nut, V neck, 9 1/2" radius, maple board.

Old November 7th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I also own 2 Warmoth necks, and both are just perfect! I did buy them 10 years ago, so I can't speak about their current stuff. I can say that their still in top-notch condition!
bendecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTL View Post
I probably wasn't clear enough in post #1.

I currently own an American Deluxe V Neck Strat, and want to build a Tele with the same feel, hence the reference to SPECIFIC Warmoth parts.

There's nothing in the Saga listing that leads me to believe it's even close to what I'm looking for neck-wise: 1 11/16 nut, V neck, 9 1/2" radius, maple board.
That is really the crux right there. IF the Warmoth page so happens to have exactly what you need, the necks are really quite good, and good value for money. I have over a dozen and I don't regret buying and finishing them at all.

But, if you need something they don't feature, or if you want the next step above in quality, then look to the USACG page or call and order what you need. I don't think I have a dozen of those, yet. I have NEVER seen a Warmoth neck under $ 157 I wanted, many cost me $ 193. Meanwhile I have one from USACG at $ 109 and another at $ 139.

As for the bodies, my opinion is different. USACG bodies are clearly much less expensive, far better quality for far less money, and are shaped correctly where the Warmoth T and S bodies are deliberately not like vintage Fender ( nor any current North America Fender specs ). I am pleased with every single one of the 20+ USACG bodies I have; the one Warmoth I have is a stinker.

BTW, in my estimation, the W Boatneck is decidedly larger (and cooler) that the slimmer Fender Deluxe Vee neck; hope you like it. Great neck profile.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorcott View Post
Quite right. You are supposed to cut and shape the headstock yourself if you expect to look like a fender....
I think original poster was looking to gain some entry level experience assembling and setting up a bucket of bolts which is what putting a telecaster together is.
Aside from my opinion being snap on connections completely take away any real work (and fun) in assembling the guitar, looking at the price I am skeptical the final finished guitar would be anything but subpar.

Quote:
I don't exactly see people hand crafting any Gibson Byrdlands from scratch in this forum either so let's not kid ourselves I do not see any luthiers here....
Don't kid yourself. I think there are people on this forum who definitely have the skill to build an archtop or hollowbody eletric but I would guess just don't have the desire or lack the tools. I've been VERY impressed with the guitars members of the tdpri have built from scratch -- beginning with a block of wood. I don't shurug at that. It's VERY cool. Find a piece of wood in the garage and two weeks later its a guitar. Simply amazing. To computer guy like me it's an awesome skill to witness -- even if it's disconnected through viewing pictures on a discussion forum.

Boris, where does Musikraft fall into the ranking of parts dealers? They appear to be very atune to detail and fine craftsmanship as their prices reflect.
PixelMover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris bubbanov View Post
As for the bodies, my opinion is different. USACG bodies are clearly much less expensive, far better quality for far less money, and are shaped correctly where the Warmoth T and S bodies are deliberately not like vintage Fender ( nor any current North America Fender specs ). I am pleased with every single one of the 20+ USACG bodies I have; the one Warmoth I have is a stinker.
Reality check here......

Warmoth solid swamp ash tele: $170, USACG: $180
Warmoth thinline:$257, USACG: $290

Far better quality? Based on your sample of one? Based on what, exactly, and with what proof, exactly?

Shaped "correctly", based on what exactly?

USACG:

USACG:

Warmoth:

Personally I don't care which you prefer, or for what reasons, but let's try to keep it real.....

More reality from a new TGP USACG review:

Quote:
I just now have at the painter's a USACG neck and body. The neck has a small -not super attractive - knot on the headstock, so I guess you got to specify 100% clear (if you want). I was surprised by that. Thats a bit of a bother so be aware. Also the ferrule holes are not too precise. Otherwise its 100%...

Last edited by fullerplast; November 7th, 2008 at 02:23 PM.
fullerplast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

My two cents again, but for $30 up charge and all the work of building I'd ditch the poplar body and go with alder.

Old November 7th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
I don't exactly see people hand crafting any Gibson Byrdlands from scratch in this forum either so let's not kid ourselves I do not see any luthiers here.
If you look around, the talent, skill and craftsmanship around here will blow your mind.