1 Meg pots. in a 77ītele - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 15th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

1 Meg pots. in a 77ītele

Iīm doing some work on a friends 77 tele and it got 1 meg pots.
Looks original to me any clues?

Iīll post some pics later

badlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

What kind of tele?

Tele custom with original WRHB has 1 meg pots...

Old October 15th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

From mid 68 on out to 82 or so Fender put 1 meg pots in their standard teles, along with a .001 "treble bleed" cap accross the volume pot. They started with a 1 meg volume and a 250 tone, but by the end of 68 the majority were 1 meg on both the volume and tone pots. The Customs and Deluxes from 72 on to 78 or whenever they stopped making them had four 1 meg pots, but no treble bleed cap. I have no idea about the thinlines, but I think they were 1 meg also. Apparently, CBS confused twang with icepick, or they just got a truckload of 1 meg pots really cheap.

IMHO, the 1 megs are great/necessary in the Customs and Deluxes because of the WR humbucker(s), but it is overkill in a regular tele with single coils, although it does makes a dull sounding neck pickup come alive.
spankdplank is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 16th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

+1meg = overkill on regular single coils

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdplank View Post
IMHO, the 1 megs are great/necessary in the Customs and Deluxes because of the WR humbucker(s), but it is overkill in a regular tele with single coils, although it does makes a dull sounding neck pickup come alive.
but +1 for the Customs using 1meg pots.
I've got a couple of 'em (1 maple, 1 rosewood neck) and other than the different feel of the necks, they have incredible tone on the WD Seth Lover pups. Chalk it up to the 1meg pots - I tried one of those pups with a 250K pot and it was okay, warmer, but way less spank. Great clarity, as well.
in my humble experience it's one of the best pickups for clean channel settings.

back to the original poster - what sort of work are you performing for the guitar? jus' curious.
Cheers

Old October 16th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunqesh View Post
but +1 for the Customs using 1meg pots.
I've got a couple of 'em (1 maple, 1 rosewood neck) and other than the different feel of the necks, they have incredible tone on the WD Seth Lover pups. Chalk it up to the 1meg pots - I tried one of those pups with a 250K pot and it was okay, warmer, but way less spank. Great clarity, as well.
in my humble experience it's one of the best pickups for clean channel settings.

back to the original poster - what sort of work are you performing for the guitar? jus' curious.
Cheers
changing pups etc.
badlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I owned a '77 about 7 years ago that had 1 meg pots.

That thing sounded GREAT!!!!!!! Played like **** tho
Laroosco! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdplank View Post
From mid 68 on out to 82 or so Fender put 1 meg pots in their standard teles, along with a .001 "treble bleed" cap accross the volume pot. They started with a 1 meg volume and a 250 tone, but by the end of 68 the majority were 1 meg on both the volume and tone pots. The Customs and Deluxes from 72 on to 78 or whenever they stopped making them had four 1 meg pots, but no treble bleed cap. I have no idea about the thinlines, but I think they were 1 meg also. Apparently, CBS confused twang with icepick, or they just got a truckload of 1 meg pots really cheap.

I just serviced a March 1968 neck date Tele for a client that had a 1 Meg linear vol and a 1 Meg audio tone pot, both pots were Stackpoles (EIA code 304), .001 mfd treble bleed cap and .05 mfd tone cap. He was concerned with the abruptness of the vol for swells etc; I figured the electronic assembler must have just made a mistake, so I desoldered adn cleaned and swapped positions and functions for the pots and the electronics then worked just as expected.

Old October 16th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Jacoby View Post
I just serviced a March 1968 neck date Tele for a client that had a 1 Meg linear vol and a 1 Meg audio tone pot, both pots were Stackpoles (EIA code 304), .001 mfd treble bleed cap and .05 mfd tone cap. He was concerned with the abruptness of the vol for swells etc; I figured the electronic assembler must have just made a mistake, so I desoldered adn cleaned and swapped positions and functions for the pots and the electronics then worked just as expected.
heh, I've done that one on a partscaster of mine. It's like wearing your shoes on the wrong feet.

Apologies for threadjacking but I'm curious about those Stackpole pots mentioned above (by Phil). Did the linear(tone) pot have the exact same #s and stamps as the audio/taper?

thanks Phil!

Last edited by skunqesh; October 19th, 2008 at 12:17 AM. Reason: thanks
skunqesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The Stackpoles have a slightly smaller can then the current style CTS. The EIA code is 304, I don't remember the date codes. One pot was stamped AUD, the other LIN, both stamped 1 MEG; it was pretty obvious just by listening which was which.