Warmoth neck and fret size question - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Warmoth neck and fret size question

I'm thinking about buying a Warmoth neck for a project because I'd like something with a rosewood board (don't have one) and I want the boatneck type of contour. Up until now I've only had Fenders and G&Ls.

I like the vintage frets on my GE Smith Tele and my original 1981 Tele a little bit better than the stock frets on the G&Ls that I have. Is the 6230 option the frets that would be the same as my Telecaster frets? Is the 6105 the fret wire that would be stock on a USA Fender or G&L?. I wouldn't mind something a touch larger than on the Telecasters that I own, but I wouldn't want to go too much bigger/taller since I play with a slightly heavy left hand.

If you buy from the Warmoth Showcase section where it says "you choose fret size" about how long does it take for the neck to arrive? Since it isn't already fretted would it take any less time than ordering something pretty straightforward that isn't shown in that section?

Thanks.

milocj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Can't answer the fret size questions, but I just got a neck from the showcase, it took 15 days. When I spoke to them on the phone, they said the delivery time on a custom built would be about 8 weeks.
Ironwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
PJ
Friend of Leo's

My experience with Warmoth, is....if you pick a pre-built neck, it'll take them a couple weeks to fret it and finish it, if its unfinished. If it's not built yet, its more like 4-6 weeks. Just a suggestion, though, make sure you scrutinize their neck contour options closely, because the standard thin is real thin and the Boat and Fat profiles are real big.
If you're looking for something in-between, you're into a Clapton, SRV or 59 Roundback, whcih they never have pre-built (or rarely).
So, you'll be doing a new build, if that's your preference.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I just got a Strat neck from the E store and I got it in ten days.

As far as frets, I like the 6105s. A bit fatter and taller than vintage size, but not so tall that a heavy hand will mess you up.

Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Telefied

The fret wire isn't even consistent batch to batch. The guys that are making this wire might send you 6230 that is big enough, or maybe real small.

The vast majority of the wire I've gotten on Warmoth necks has been 6105. That's a real nice size, and it seems to be the most consistent, best I can tell.

Yes, you could order a Boatneck from Warmoth webpage, and it'll take 2-2 1/2 weeks (my average, maybe 8 orders). Or, of you get lucky, a big enough neck may show up on USACG webspecials page for necks. Tommy's got a number of rosewood board necks there, and these prices are crazy low. I bought one off of there (#11) a good sized maple V neck for maybe 60 percent of what they cost ordered from scratch. And two other USACG webspecial necks I bought on 6/23/08 over the phone and arrived UPS New Orleans on July 1. One webspecial neck there is marked $ 119. Wow!
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
PJ
Friend of Leo's

I have the Warmoth 6105s and they're terrific. Not too tiny and not too big. And it looks like Warmoth uses them a lot, which is telling as a customer preference.

Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

What's the 6125 fret like that is listed on the USACG website? It's mentioned on one of the webpages but wasn't on the order form.

Are there any major differences between the Warmoth and USACG necks?
milocj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2008, 07:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have a Total Vintage Fat Back Tele Showcase neck with 6105 fretwire on order from Warmoth. It is being finished in Vintage Tint Gloss and they quoted me 4-6 weeks time to complete the finish, fretting, and pre-cut nut installation.

It was ordered 3 1/2 weeks ago and just yesterday I emailed and ask when it would ship. They indicated in 2-3 more weeks.

Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by milocj View Post
What's the 6125 fret like that is listed on the USACG website? It's mentioned on one of the webpages but wasn't on the order form.

Are there any major differences between the Warmoth and USACG necks?
First 6125. I have 2 newly received necks from USACG with 6125, neither is on a guitar yet (nitro dryin') but I can tell you it is slightly wider than 6105, not quite as wide and less tall than 6150. It is an excellent choice for someone who can't decide between 6105 and 6150. But if you were thinking 6230, 6125 is further away from your 6230 than 6105 is.

The differences: I feel obliged to reshape the 'Warmoth' heel shape, very distinct and not to my liking, but can be Fenderized. Tommy's heel (USACG) is basically Fender. Conversely, the Warmoth headstock is nice Strat, or Tele, and I just give it a "tadeo" treatment, including a nice "sweet spot". The USACG contains a vintage Tele headstock, just sand it correctly. NOT an Am Se sized Tele headstock, just a vintage one.

Warmoth is rigid about board radius; if you don't like 7.25 or else 10-16, you are asking for trouble ordering from there. Meanwhile I've lost track of all the radius combinations I have from Tommy, including 7.25, 9, 10, 12, 9-12. As for nut width, Warmoth has two widths, and while these vary slightly from neck to neck, Tommy's choices are broader

The emphasis at Warmoth is on visual pop; Tommy can produce an eye popper as well, but his hunger is tone and function first and most, and I've been most impressed with the tone and playability of all the necks I've gotten there. The Warmoths are not bad, mind you, and most of them best the average Fender neck.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote