How much is my Tele worth? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 16th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

How much is my Tele worth?

I just acquired my moms 1963 Telecaster. It is the one that is made of mahogany. I believe it is completely original but has a decent amount of wear and tear. I am missing the pickup cover and the little black top hat knob for the three way switch. I don't really want to sell it because it has been in my family all my life. I would really like to find out what it is worth just to know. I may be wrong but I believe 1963 and maybe 64 were the only years that the mahogany Telecasters were made. I have attached a few photos.

Any information on this guitar would be appreciated.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...r/IMG_0001.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...r/IMG_0002.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...r/IMG_0008.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...r/IMG_0004.jpg

1963tele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

You are very close. The mahogany teles were only offered on special order in 1963, 4 and 5, and only in limited quantities.

By "pickup cover" I think you really mean ash-tray or bridge cover. The vast majority of older Teles are missing these as most people don't like them and just tossed them! The top hat knobs (it should be branded "DAKA WARE") are sometimes available on eBay or as "new old stock" at places like Angela Instruments.

You have a really beautiful guitar there, and I'm sure it means a lot to you - personally I'd treasure it. It's certainly worth a lot of money, but I would hesitate to put a price on it, although a figure well in excess of $10,000 wouldn't surprise me at all.

Good luck with it and thanks for sharing your photos.
KevinB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Friend of Leo's

Very cool, never heard of a mahogany tele before....
Joe M is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 16th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Wow, I'm going to call my mom right now :-D
riolux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

What's your mom's 63 special order mahogany telecaster worth...

It would be priceless it it was mine... Great Guitar!!!

Old May 16th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

According to the S/N from the pic (L224xx) it would be a 1964

Neckplates with an "L Plate" are considered a Pre-CBS Fender (even though the CBS corporation bought Fender in January 1965). Sometimes an "L" serial number can be seen as early as late 1962.

L00001 to L20000 = 1963
L20000 to L55000 = 1964
L55000 to L99999 = 1965

I've got a 63, but I have no idea what it's worth, so sorry, not much help there.

Cheers,
Doug
ddewerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddewerd View Post
According to the S/N from the pic (L224xx) it would be a 1964

Neckplates with an "L Plate" are considered a Pre-CBS Fender (even though the CBS corporation bought Fender in January 1965). Sometimes an "L" serial number can be seen as early as late 1962.

L00001 to L20000 = 1963
L20000 to L55000 = 1964
L55000 to L99999 = 1965

I've got a 63, but I have no idea what it's worth, so sorry, not much help there.

Cheers,
Doug
Thanks all for the great responses. I never looked in to the serial number but I removed the neck and it has a date stamp of 1963. I just assumed it was a 63. Maybe it was made in 63 and sold in 64?

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

if you looka the pic of the body up close you can see above the bridge an indent in the body that follows the curves of a bigsby bridge, not saying was actually on there but the line indented above the bridge does look like one
Shelby21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

It's worth a lot, get another 63, 64 top hat and take care of that guitar.

Mostly original pre cbs telecaster in a rare and limited wood? Its hard to say, you should contact gruhn's or another respected vintage guitar appraiser/dealer. Also, watch ebay and vintage guitar sites to see what similar guitars are going for. It's worth a pretty penny cash wise but also probably a lot to you since it has history for you. Congratulations

Just out of curiosity, what does this guitar weigh?

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby21 View Post
if you looka the pic of the body up close you can see above the bridge an indent in the body that follows the curves of a bigsby bridge, not saying was actually on there but the line indented above the bridge does look like one
That looks like an "ashtray" bruise to me. Also, no signs that I can see of repaired bigsby holes.

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuco View Post
That looks like an "ashtray" bruise to me. Also, no signs that I can see of repaired bigsby holes.
thats tru i didnt think of that
Shelby21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

beautiful.

hope you don't have to sell it.

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

From http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender2.html

"1963 Telecaster specs:

Telecasters were offered with a mahogany body and a translucent red finish. Not very many were produced, and this option is only seen in 1963/1964.
12th fret neck dot markers moved closer together.
By late 1963, body dates were no longer used.

Fall 1964 Telecaster specs:

Pearloid fingerboard dots replace "clay" dots (this transitioned into early 1965).
Pickguard changed to a white plastic W/B/W three layer laminted plastic.
The Custom Telecaster peghead decal changed to the gold "transition" style decal with patent numbers 2,573,254 and 2,784,631 and DES number 164,227.
Pickup changes from "black bottom" to "gray bottom" (again this transitioned into 1965).
Tuners change from "single line" Kluson Deluxe to "double line" Kluson Deluxe (where "Kluson" and "Deluxe" are now in two vertical parallel lines). "

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby21 View Post
The indent you are looking at is from the ashtray cover. There has never been any modifications made to this guitar.

Old May 17th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have no idea how much she's worth. If all is legit... my opinion is that it's priceless. Your mom? What's the story behind your mom having such a sweet Tele?

If you're using photobucket, you can copy and paste the image codes directly in your text. That way, the pictures show up (instead of the blue links). If you click on the image code, I believe it will copy what you need - just past the [img ] thing in your post. Glad you're not selling it, and although I can't give you any information on that guitar, I'm sure there are people here who can (and have). Good luck - and welcome to the TDPRI.

Old May 17th, 2008, 01:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

WELCOME to the TDPRI, 1963tele! Nice specimen. What genre(s) of music did Mom play on it?

Keep it and check out some guitar lessons. Playing guitar is great fun and a fine hobby.... Next thing you know, you'll be building a clone of Mom's guitar to take out and play. Keeping her's, safely at home.

If interested, may I suggest www.joetheguitarman.com for a good beginning. But maybe I am assuming that you don't play,
yet... I could be off base, just your post seems to be indicative of being a non player.. glad to have ya here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963tele View Post
I just acquired my moms 1963 Telecaster. It is the one that is made of mahogany. I believe it is completely original but has a decent amount of wear and tear. I am missing the pickup cover and the little black top hat knob for the three way switch. I don't really want to sell it because it has been in my family all my life. I would really like to find out what it is worth just to know. I may be wrong but I believe 1963 and maybe 64 were the only years that the mahogany Telecasters were made. I have attached a few photos.

Any information on this guitar would be appreciated.

If the human mind was a simple thing to understand, we would be too simple to understand it.
BroadMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Beautiful Tele!......Keep it in the Family..........

Old May 17th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for posting the pics of that beautiful Tele and welcome to the site....

Old May 17th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadMaster View Post
WELCOME to the TDPRI, 1963tele! Nice specimen. What genre(s) of music did Mom play on it?

Keep it and check out some guitar lessons. Playing guitar is great fun and a fine hobby.... Next thing you know, you'll be building a clone of Mom's guitar to take out and play. Keeping her's, safely at home.

If interested, may I suggest www.joetheguitarman.com for a good beginning. But maybe I am assuming that you don't play,
yet... I could be off base, just your post seems to be indicative of being a non player.. glad to have ya here.
My mom played in county band for many years until she passed away in the early 90s. She purchased this tele when I was very small but I she did not play it much, she always played an acoustic Martin. There were other members of the band that played it though. It has been in storage for more that 18 years.

I think I am going to attempt to learn to play better. I can play a few cords that I learned many years ago but that's all. I did learned to play the bass fairly well and played in her band for a couple of years when I was in high school.

Old May 17th, 2008, 02:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Make sure you keep it stock do not change any parts or refinish it
if you do it will lose its value
JamonHamon is offline   Reply With Quote