push pull pot as volume or tone? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 8th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

push pull pot as volume or tone?

Hey guys,

I'm going to be putting a push pull pot in for a series/parallel switch on the bridge humbucker in my custom deluxe. Do you suggest it as the volume or tone pot? Does it really matter in the end, or just convenience of location?

Thanks for any input

dilbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'd do tone. My PRS McCarty's push/pull is on the tone knob, and I know that the knob's position doesn't stay perfectly in place when switching.

When I smack it down or yank it up mid-song, I'd rather have the tone adjusted a bit than the volume significantly dropped or raised.

I don't think either putting it in the vol/tone position has an effect on tone though.
Guitfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitfiddler View Post
I'd do tone. My PRS McCarty's push/pull is on the tone knob, and I know that the knob's position doesn't stay perfectly in place when switching.

When I smack it down or yank it up mid-song, I'd rather have the tone adjusted a bit than the volume significantly dropped or raised.

I don't think either putting it in the vol/tone position has an effect on tone though.
Good point, hadn't thought of that although I was thinking tone from the start anyway, but all I have is a wiring diagram for a volume pot and I haven't thought through yet how the wiring will differ for the tone. I'll have to check online for a diagram unless anyone here happens to have one...

Thanks Guitfiddler

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 8th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitfiddler View Post
Shouldn't have any affect on volume or tone, other than the aforementioned inadvertent adjustment when switching. The push pull switch and the pot are 2 completely isolated circuits, just with the mechanical sharing of the pole piece.

I have mine on the volume pot, but to each his or her own.

Trev

Website MySpace
t_ross33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I put mine on my Tone since I barely ever use it, then there's less chance off doing something wrong when I go to use it like turning my volume up/down or something.

My Music (Listen, Download, Review)

TheDev01dOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2008, 07:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

P/P for the tone pot only - they're small diameter and with less carbon on the wiper, I want the larger pot for the volume control.
Rob DiStefano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Did you ever consider using a push-push switching pot? But I would go with using it on the tone unless your tone put has other features such as the Fender TBX treble pass filter circuit.
Wardpike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I always thought a single pot for vol and tone was an excellent idea but do you think they would be robust enough ??, i am not that hamfisted but chew my way through such things just through excitement.

What would a Tele control plate look like with just one knob ?

Old May 9th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

There is another reason to use the push/pull as a tone pot, rather than a volume pot. Push/pull pots are always built on mini-pots. If you find a minipot that has as smooth a taper as a full sized pot, it will be a rarity. Generally, folks prefer a smooth, even taper for the volume control, but that is less important for a tone control. That is why makers usually use a push/pull for a tone control.

Now, Gibson does have a push/pull for the volume control in the Jimmy Page LP. This push/pull is actually built on a full size pot, but it is not a DPDT switch. It is only an on/off switch. That is acceptable for a coil cut on ONE pickup, but it is not useful for a coil cut on two pickups (DPDT is needed for that), nor is it useful for a phase reversal or parallel/series switching. (DPDT is needed for either of those, as well.)
JCollins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

WOW

Thanks guys for all of your advice and input. I ordered two p/p pots and they came in yesterday. I was only going to series/parallel the bridge but decided to go ahead put one on the neck as well.

I cannot believe the versatility out of this guitar now. Yeah, the signal is a bit weaker with the parallel connection, but for me it doesn't matter as I most likely won't be switching during a song. All of the sounds now are extremely useful and although the single coil settings aren't quite full blown "tele" single coil sound they are still pretty darn good.

This may be the cheapest yet most valuable mod I've ever done. I think this custom deluxe has just edged past the MIM standard as my #1...

Thanks again guys
Chris