Best tele under $1000 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Best tele under $1000

Hi guys,

I've been lurking here for months but just now signed up. I've played guitar for about 20 years and I have two electrics. I've finally decided to bite the bullet and purchase a tele. I've liked the ones I've played and love the general sound of a telecaster.

I'd like to see your opinions on which are the best telecasters for about $1000 or less. Doesn't matter if it's Fender or G&L or whatever. Naturally I'm going to go play some until I find the one that fits me but I figure I can get a better idea of which to make sure I try if I get some responses from more educated tele players.

Any takers?

Tone Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I would buy a 50s or 60s Classic or a Baja.
All great value for money.

Edit: Oh, and a warm welcome!

Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

How does the Baja neck compare with the 50s Classic Tele, or the American Standard Tele? I haven't seen a Baja anywhere...
Tritone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

The size of the Baja neck is similar to the 50s,
but the Baja has a 9.5" radius and medium jumbo frets,
while the 50s has 7.5 and smaller, vintage frets.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Telefied

The Baja is a smidge bigger than the 50's, and has a slight keel or V on top of that. The American Series/Standard has a full width neck that is fairly thin or shallow.

Either the 50's Classic or Baja would be a great choice, save the rest towards the amplifier.

You might be able to find a G + L ASAT Classic for under $ 1,000 new; I've got 2 I paid $ 800-900 for each, new in case.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Welcome Tone Freak!

I haven't played a Baja, but most reviews are raving, though they seem to be a bit inconsistent - especially weight wise. But so are the MIM Classics - my 50's Classic weighed 8.6 lbs, while some of the guys here have some feather light examples.

Personally I would recommend the 60's Classic - one of the most accurate reissues that Fender makes these days (except for the modern wiring).

It has a slim - but not thin - well rounded C-neck that feels just very natural in my hand.
Telemarkman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Get a 52 RI off Ebay. Do not buy Mex! You would need to get a fret job and all new electronics. They look pretty, but there's a reason they're made cheap outside of the country.
Josh Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Davis View Post
Get a 52 RI off Ebay. Do not buy Mex! You would need to get a fret job and all new electronics. They look pretty, but there's a reason they're made cheap outside of the country.
I agree about the '52RI, but not the "Mex" thing ...
Telemarkman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

welcome,
and i think if you act soon, you might be able to get a 60th anniversary "inlay" limited edition AV52RI for under 1000 bux with the special limited case too, that is if boris doesnt buy them all

Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Welcome Tone Freak. I would also highly recommend the Fender CIJ (Crafted In Japan) Reissue line. Many come with the same pickups in USA RIs, and upgrading the switch/pots ain't much coin at all. Haven't tried the Baja personally, tho that seems to be the overall bang-for-the-buck recommendation around here.

Hey Josh, before throwing the baby out with the bathwather, perhaps check out a few more MIM reviews from players and owners 'round here. Myself I've owned/gigged Fender USA/Japan/Mexico - and it really boils down to the *actual* guitar in hand, not where its made. I had a '52RI that was 'ok' at best. Sold it in preference for my CIJ 50s RI.

Just sayin'

tjalla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Well I will put a really low cost option up. I picked up a squier thinline has duncan designed pickups hollow alder body. I really like mine and think it offers a lotta bang for the buck. http://www.squierguitars.com/product...tno=0301240544
Dann-O is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

WELCOME Tone Freak. Bigger neck, 4 way switch/S-1 switching, great pups= BAJA. then there's the 50s or 60s classic.

If the human mind was a simple thing to understand, we would be too simple to understand it.
BroadMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Are Av52RI easy to find for under $1000? If so, where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicolli View Post
welcome,
and i think if you act soon, you might be able to get a 60th anniversary "inlay" limited edition AV52RI for under 1000 bux with the special limited case too, that is if boris doesnt buy them all
noodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The best-playing, most nicely finished Fender Tele I played last year for under $1000 (retail) was the 60's Classic.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Davis View Post

Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalla View Post
Welcome Tone Freak. I would also highly recommend the Fender CIJ (Crafted In Japan) Reissue line. Many come with the same pickups in USA RIs, and upgrading the switch/pots ain't much coin at all. Haven't tried the Baja personally, tho that seems to be the overall bang-for-the-buck recommendation around here.
I agree, even now, the CIJ line offers best value.
petebradt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Not to hijack the thread, but please explain the difference between "Made in" & "Crafted in". I'm sure that this question has been posed before. Pardon my ignorance.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'll chime in for the Squires also. Very nice guitars for very little money. I got an Affinity, pretty heavily modded now (about $130 worth), but really the only mods it needed were new pups, pots, and a switch -- about $65-$70 depending on what P/U's you'd use. So for around $250 you're getting a good instrument and putting your "signature" on it. The guitar is quite nice; alder body, maple neck and fretboard. The necks are a bit thin, however. Worth trying one if you see it in a shop. The Squire standards I've played are also very good. Just a shout-out from the low end of the spectrum.

Last edited by Doug Ferguson; April 3rd, 2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Correction
Doug Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

American Series, definitly!

Oh, and welcome. Your gonna love it here!

"I didn't say yo laughin' place, I said my laughin' place Br'er Bear" - Br'er Rabbit
TWANGNUT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It would be tough to pick the "best" under $1,000 as there are so many great one's!

I picked an 06 HWY 1, but liked some of the Baja's, Burton's, MIA, and 52ri's I played.
Any of those choices (and others listed by other posters) that feel good to you and have the tone you're looking for would be a good choice.
Legba is offline   Reply With Quote