Is my 1998 Tele a Deluxe??? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 28th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Is my 1998 Tele a Deluxe???

I just recently bought a white (sorta) Telecaster with pearloid pickguard. The SN starts with DN8xxxxx, so it fits the description of a '98 Tele Deluxe per the info page of tdpri. It has lace sensors, however, it does not have a middle pup or S-1 switching. It does have jumbo frets, abolone inlays, and the chrome Fender logo on the headstock.

I checked the control cavity, and didn't see any dates, though I could have missed them. The solder joints looked as though they could be original. I bought the guitar from the 2nd owner, not that it matters... Has anyone seen anything similar to this?

dynocaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Holic

Your asking:

"Has anyone seen anything similar to this?"

But I don't see a pic...So its hard to say what it is.

Welcome to the forum.....Post a pic and you will have more info. than you would ever want to know.
Southern Ill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

10-4. Will do.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 29th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

pics

Here are the pics. It really isn't that yellow, the lighting is just not all that great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tele 4.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	10121  
Attached Images

Old March 29th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Former Member
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynocaster View Post
I just recently bought a white (sorta) Telecaster with pearloid pickguard. The SN starts with DN8xxxxx, so it fits the description of a '98 Tele Deluxe per the info page of tdpri. It has lace sensors, however, it does not have a middle pup or S-1 switching. It does have jumbo frets, abolone inlays, and the chrome Fender logo on the headstock.

I checked the control cavity, and didn't see any dates, though I could have missed them. The solder joints looked as though they could be original. I bought the guitar from the 2nd owner, not that it matters... Has anyone seen anything similar to this?
Deluxes normally didn't have middle pups, although the routing was there..S1 wasn't around in 98..so it sounds like you have what it's supposed to be ?..Have binding on the top, and a Belly Cut ?
mellecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Telefied

The Deluxes have a D serial # so that part looks good at least the neck is a Deluxe.

Might wanna email Fender on this one. Just tell them that same serial # you posted in the original message and they will tell you how it left the factory.

You may reach the FMIC Consumer Relations Department
by telephone, fax or e-mail at:
Telephone: (480) 596-7195
Fax: (480) 367-5262
E-mail: consumerrelations@fender.com

Old March 29th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

You seem to definitely have a '98 American Deluxe neck (which is not a Tele Deluxe neck, btw).

The body makes me wonder a bit. In '98 the American Deluxe was available in White Blonde, but IIRC, that version came only with tortoise-shell binding and matching pickguard. There was no version in white with a Pearloid pickguard, and there was no American Deluxe with lace sensors. Those pickups were available only previously on the Telecaster Plus, which preceded the American Deluxe. That Telecaster Plus was not available in white in '97, plus the models with maple fretboards apparently had black dots. So it can't be a '97 Telecaster Plus with a '98 serial number.

The Telecaster Plus did have 3 pickups, so if what you had was a stock Telecaster Plus body, the middle pickup was removed. I have my doubts that's what it is, though.

So it could be that you have a bit of a mismatch there. I can't tell very much from your photo, but does it have pearloid binding? If so, it could be the body from one of those MIJ models that came in black or white with matching headstocks and pearl pickguards. If not, I'm not sure what you've got there, other than the neck.

Some better photos might help.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
So it could be that you have a bit of a mismatch there. I can't tell very much from your photo, but does it have pearloid binding? If so, it could be the body from one of those MIJ models that came in black or white with matching headstocks and pearl pickguards. If not, I'm not sure what you've got there, other than the neck.

Some better photos might help.
From the blurry pics, I can sorta make out those offset saddles, so maybe not a MIJ body mutt?
MulliganChebichev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

tele plus had 3 pups, but 2 were attached in the bridge position to make a humbucker. and also had a mini toggle in between the volume and tone pots.

Old March 29th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

In 98 the Am. Dlx Tele came with Noiseless 3 pups - the middle being a Strat pup. There was a mini-toggle on the control plate for a total of 7 pup combinations.The finishes were White Blonde, Trans Crimson, Trans Teal -all Am Dlx bodies are bound at the top with a belly cut.

In 99 they went back to the normal two-pup configuration. During the transition to the 99 models, some of the last 98 Am Dlx Teles were made with the new finishes for 99 with the 98 3-pup configuration. I have one of these with a natural finish with tortoise binding.

You have a Am Dlx Neck.
Snowman 8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicolli View Post
tele plus had 3 pups, but 2 were attached in the bridge position to make a humbucker. and also had a mini toggle in between the volume and tone pots.
This is true for the earlier versions. By 1996, The Telecaster Plus used 3 Lace Sensors in the more conventional configuration; a bridge, middle (covered, like the neck pup), and neck. It did still have the toggle, though. I can't tell if the guitar in question has one or not.

I guess dynocaster isn't in a rush to find out, in any event.

Snowman's info is correct for the '99 American Deluxe, except it was also available in Black (rarely seen) 3-color burst and trans-purple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman 8 View Post
I have one of these with a natural finish with tortoise binding.
As much as I love my sunburst, that one is probably the most beautiful of all American Deluxes.

Old March 30th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Here's two 1998 Deluxes for comparison...

Big difference in the sunburst finish isn't there
AjayTele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

1998 was the year for the American Deluxe. IMO, the finest production telecaster Fender ever produced.

Old March 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
This is true for the earlier versions. By 1996, The Telecaster Plus used 3 Lace Sensors in the more conventional configuration; a bridge, middle (covered, like the neck pup), and neck. It did still have the toggle, though. I can't tell if the guitar in question has one or not.

I guess dynocaster isn't in a rush to find out, in any event.

Snowman's info is correct for the '99 American Deluxe, except it was also available in Black (rarely seen) 3-color burst and trans-purple.

As much as I love my sunburst, that one is probably the most beautiful of all American Deluxes.
It's true, I'm not in a huge hurry, but I'm inquisitive. The guitar was sold to me by someone who is a personal friend and hero, but who is also very ill. He would love the info that is shared here.

The guitar is not routed for a middle pickup. It is obviously a factory finish, though. It is not a transversely laminated body, in terms of it being several plies deep, say like my MIM. The pickguard is suspect, but that is just my opinion as a guitar repairman.

I intend to email Fender with the SN and see what that reveals. I really appreciate and enjoy the posts this thread created. You guys are cool.

Old March 30th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Oh, I forgot...it has the Corona, CA neck plate with the adjustment hole, also.

I just emailed Fender per Mark Davis' suggestion. Maybe we'll hear from the glass palace.

Old March 30th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

And no binding.

Old March 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

no binding = no dlx

is that a HGY1 body??

Old March 30th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrman911 View Post
no binding = no dlx

is that a HGY1 body??
That's a good question. The hardware is identical to my brother in law's deluxe. I guess it could be, but I haven't seen a HWY1 body that was white, but that may be an oversight on my part...

I should say, that it is one killer instrument, whatever it is .

Old March 30th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The only thing I can say at this point is that you have an American Deluxe Neck with a non-American Deluxe body. If you want us to attempt to more accurately identify the body, post a few more pics and include one of the neck pocket and one without the pickguard.

No guarantees, but some sharp eye here may be able to pin it down.

Old March 31st, 2008, 05:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
The only thing I can say at this point is that you have an American Deluxe Neck with a non-American Deluxe body. If you want us to attempt to more accurately identify the body, post a few more pics and include one of the neck pocket and one without the pickguard.

No guarantees, but some sharp eye here may be able to pin it down.
I thought of checking the neck pocket this weekend. That is going to take me a few days... currently in my shop for repair: SG with broken headstock, Brazilian Viola for refret, Alvarez for refin, classical with loose brace, I'm forgetting something... oh well. As they say, a painter's house always needs painting.

I'm usually throwing a set of strings on my axe right before I rush out the door.