Thin C Shape Maple Fender Tele Neck...Is there one? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 9th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thin C Shape Maple Fender Tele Neck...Is there one?

I have a very early Highway 1 and was lucky to get one with a thinner neck (from Musicians Friend no less!) as I have smaller hands and most of the Tele necks are "U" shaped and chunky. I'm looking for another Tele, maybe a 52 reissue or Nocaster but cannot find one with a thinner maple neck...they are all chunky. Does Fender make a thinner C chaped neck on a Tele?

Andrewskee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Dave's Guitar has his Custom Shop Fender's with Maple Necks:

check 'em out
davesguitar.comAs you can probably tell, we are Tele fans! We just got this run of Relic '63 Maple Cap Teles in from the Custom Shop and we are pretty excited about them! As most of you Fender aficionados probably already know, Fender offered the maple cap as an option on Strats & Teles on a very limited basis in the 60's (we've got two originals in the store collection) and we thought it would be a fun thing to do! As long as we were at it, we ran some other '63 Teles in some exciting custom colors! ENJOY!
sanhozay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

the neck on my '97 american standard isn't ibanez wizard thin, but it's definitely among the thinner tele necks out there...

you could probably find a used one pretty readily. folks talk about 'em lacking that vintage tele vibe, but IMHO, they're solid, well made guitars, and a good platform for any refining mods you want to do.

jazztele is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 9th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Former Member
Doctor of Teleocity

The 1982 to 1997 52RIs had a slimmer neck than the current models.
mellecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I've played the American Deluxes, they're a fairly slim C. I've also got an old '80s (I think) MIM Deluxe Tele neck on one of my guitars, it's also a pretty slim C. These aren't "wizard thin" by any means, but are not chunky at all IMO. As Jazztele says, maybe the American Standards or whatever are similar?

If yer lookin' for a Nocaster or '52 RI the new Fender ones all seem big necked to me. I saw a guy's '87 '52RI neck, it was very slim, completely unlike the late-'98 '52 RI I had at that time.
Stubee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The 80's MiJ necks were pretty slim-C's. I have small hands as well and used to love finding those necks for builds.
-Darren

Old March 9th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Holic

I love the San Dimas style necks...Musickraft has them and are most likely in my future.
Southern Ill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Highway 1 is pretty close.

The Highway 1 Texas model is a Chunky C that is super confortable even for small hands...like you I have small hands too.

I don't care for the U shape either. But the C shape can be a little thick and still feels good to me. I'm lucky enough to have a Rice Custom with a pretty thick C shape and it's as comfortable as an old pair of shoes.

**OOPS...didn't catch till I re-read your post that you already had a HWY1...sorry

OaklandA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Just put a CIJ 62' Reissue neck on a friend's partscaster and it's definitely the slimmest...very smooth feel. Got it from the Statosphere Ebay store.
Kobedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtube View Post
The 80's MiJ necks were pretty slim-C's. I have small hands as well and used to love finding those necks for builds.
-Darren
Yep.
I have a 1990 MIJ Tele and it has a lovely thin 7.5" neck.

"Sorry for the Inconvenience."
RichardM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

My AV62RI Custom has a nice slim profile and is very comfortable for the smaller hand. Also a great-sounding guitar. On the downside it's an expensive model and the nitro finish has a tendency to feel sticky - but this can be addressed and will in any case reduce over time.

I cried because I had no shoes - until I met a man who had no feet...
Tony474 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2008, 08:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The lead singer in my band owns a 1982 Butterscotch 52'RI. American made with THE smallest thinnest neck I have ever seen on ANY guitar period. It is a stock Fender neck.

I have wanted to buy this guitar from him but there is no way he is parting with it. The neck is absolutely perfect.

I actually have it here now because the neck pup has gone t!ts up. I am going to be fixing it for him this week. I think while I have it apart I will try and snap off some pictures and do measurement on it again.

The guitar has aged beautifully and has a very vintage look. Neck is a rich amber color.

I will post the pics in this thread so stay tuned.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
PJ
Friend of Leo's

I've been told the Warmoth '56 Roundback is closest to what Fender players know as the "C" profile. Their "standard thin" is a shallower
"C" approaching a "D". On the Fender stuff, the 50s and 60s Classics (as well as the Nashville, which I have one of) are very close to my 70-c profile. (as are the 70s RI models). Baja's bigger, American Std. is close but shallower and has the wider nut width.

Old March 20th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztele View Post
the neck on my '97 american standard isn't ibanez wizard thin, but it's definitely among the thinner tele necks out there...

you could probably find a used one pretty readily. folks talk about 'em lacking that vintage tele vibe, but IMHO, they're solid, well made guitars, and a good platform for any refining mods you want to do.

BEAUTIFUL axe
As a matter of fact, I've been looking for a Tele for ... ages, but, having smal hands, I've found it difficult to find one that fits my fingers ...
And yet ... I think I've found one that perfectly suits me : an Amerciacn Standard like yours -yet with the rosewood fretboard ... I couldn't find any with maple ... It would have been ... awesome !!!
Bopelll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

+1 on the 80's MIJ necks.

I have a mid 80's 62ri that has a real slim neck. I have been tempted to put a maple neck on it, but I love the feel of the stock rosewood too much. Not sure if you can find one now, but if you can it would be worth the purchase.
PITT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have a early 90s (91 or 92?, it is a top load) MIM Telecaster that has the slimmest neck I have ever had on a Fender. I too have small hands and require a pretty thin neck and this one is in the too slim to perfect for me range.
jays0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2009, 05:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Hello,
The 1960 to 1968 Fender telecaster and esquire necks wewre very thin C shaped necks. I have two 1966 necks...
Exhibit a: 1966 Fender Esquire

This guitar has a rosewood fingerboard, but it extremely PERFECT in all regards. Everyone who's ever played it, has just fallen in love with it.The neck is ~21mm thick from 1st to 7th frets. Then opens to 22 at 9th, 23 at 12th and 24mm at the slope to the body join.

Exhibit b: 1966 Fender Tele all maple neck on a recent Crook Custom Tele.

Now that one is not quite as thin as the rosewood, but very close. It's 22mm thick.

If you specify that you want a mid-60s thin neck, to your Fender dealer, they can order that from Fender.

Of course, nothing beats the used market!!

Best regards,
Ward
Matthew 5:44
Wardpike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2009, 05:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The American Standards are about the thinnest Tele's available now. Try a few, all Fenders vary in neck shape from one to another, even in the same model.
cotecj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2009, 05:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on the MIJs.

My 96 MiJ anni custom has vintage type narrrow neck, v comfy.

Old March 21st, 2009, 10:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I seem to remember my '72 Custom RI neck being a thin C. Terrific neck.
rextasy is offline   Reply With Quote