GFS wiring diagram for tele - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 26th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

GFS wiring diagram for tele

I've noticed some fundamental differences between the tele wiring diagram at the fender wbsite and the GFS tele wiring diagram that came with a set of Pro-tubes that I recently ordered and was wondering if anyone knows if there are actual functional differences between the two.

I've read on this site of a treble bleed mod that simply involves moving a wire around to different lugs between the tone and volume pots and was curious to know if that's what's going on in the GFS wiring schematic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

dinomike77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I think it's just the switch... the GFS switch has 8 lugs in a line, while the traditional fender switches have 4 on each side.
aznrambo481 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for the reply, but...

Thanks for the reply, but I'm more concerned with the actual wiring between the tone and volume pots.

This research isn't actually for a Tele. It's for my '93 Charvel Surfcaster which uses two lipstick tube pickups. In theory, it shouldn't be any different than a tele, with the exception a a les paul style 3-way switch instead of the blade type.

My question is whether the GFS wiring diagram is, in fact, illustrating another take on the treble bleed mod or if I should rewire it according to the posts that have been listed here before.

I do not care to add a resistor/cap mod, I am just wondering if I can gain any more of treble bleed by rewiring it or if it's already functioning as such and I should just leave it alone.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old December 26th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Are you talking about the GFS Tele wiring diagram below?

There is no treble bypass cap in that diagram, unless you are talking about a different diagram. The fundamental difference in the GFS and a standard Tele wiring diagram is the tone pot. On Fenders, the outside of the tone pot is connected to the signal, and the cap goes from the center (wiper) to ground. The GFS diagram above has the opposite. The signal goes to the center (wiper), and the cap is going from the outer tone pot terminal to ground. It makes no difference which way you do that, and it is functionally the same. However, it is not a good idea to ground the tone cap to the tone pot. All grounds should be connected to one spot. If the tone or volume pot shafts come loose, this could result in a very noisy intermittent conditions.

Oh by the way, the GFS diagram has the neck and bridge positions reversed. The text on the diagram is reversed.

Old December 27th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

That is the diagram I was talking about, however..,

... the trble bleed mod I was referring to was one that is a cheived without the use of a second capacitor. I simply involves moving one of the wires to a different lug between the two pots. If that's not what's going on here, I will try that mod the next time I have to change strings on the Surfy. Thanks again for the help.

Old March 5th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdowns View Post
Oh by the way, the GFS diagram has the neck and bridge positions reversed. The text on the diagram is reversed.
So are you saying the text on it now is correct, or still reversed from what it should be?
My apologies for reviving this, but I recently purchased a GFS switch.
midnightrider51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I believe the text is correct so you would follow that diagram, id est, holding the switch with the terminals to the left, neck gets wired on top.

Just hook up the wires and try it before soldering, or you could always just flip the switch 180 if it's backwards.......................you can't loose !

Welcome to the forum
sjtalon is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjtalon View Post
or you could always just flip the switch 180 if it's backwards.......................you can't loose !
I can't believe I didn't think of that. haha. You, sir, are a jeanyus.
midnightrider51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the compliment, I'm really not that smart, but I get in trouble at times and have become good at putting a spin on things.
sjtalon is online now   Reply With Quote