Series/parallel wiring with a push/pull pot? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 24th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Series/parallel wiring with a push/pull pot?

I don't want to use a 4-way switch for my in-the-works Thinline Tele project - I want to use a mini toggle switch.
But I'd still like to have the series/parallel option when both pickups are chosen - is there a way to do that with a push-pull pot? Couldn't find a wiring diagram for that on the Seymour Duncan site...

RomanS is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Not exactly what you're asking but this may give you an idea.

http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/WDUHH3T2206
6x47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

It can be done and has been done with a push/pull switch in the place of tone pot. I dont know how to,interested in it myself. Somebody here had a diagram,either Rob D.,Fuzzy or Deaf Eddie,cant remember,but maybe they will hone in.
sudancat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 25th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Here is the schematic of my Brent Mason guitar that uses a DPDT push-pull to connect the two windings of the middle pickup parallel vs. series. If the schematic does not make it clear, I can whip up and wiring diagram for you this evening when I get home.

Old June 25th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, Terry and everybody else, but I still have a problem of understanding this...
That Brent Mason-diagram does show how to wire two coils in either series or parallel (and I could just replace the two coils of his middle HB with the two coils of neck/bridge pickup) - but what I'm having a problem with is figuring out how to connect this to a 3-way switch, which would also give me the options of each of the coils alone.
What I want is

3 way switch (either Gibson style toggle, ot mini-toggle of the on/on/on type) choosing between

neck pickup alone <-> both pickups <-> bridge pickup alone
.....................................|........................................
.....................................|........................................
.....................................V........................................
.......................in series <--> parallel (chosen by push-pull on pot)

Old June 25th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

go to www.deaf-eddie.net.

Look for tele wiring series/parrellel, thers a diagram there. I think that may be what youre looking. 3 way with push/pull pot in place of tone pot.pull to put pups in series.Click on wiring diagrams, Go down to Fender wiring diagrams, there will be a tele section, it will be listed, one push/pull-series
sudancat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanS View Post
Thanks, Terry and everybody else, but I still have a problem of understanding this...
Sorry. I understand now. Never mind the Brent schematic. It's got to work interactively with the 3-way.

I think this is the diagram sudancat is referring to. Note that the 3-way switch has no function when PP is in series.

Old June 25th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, guys, perfect! That's exactly what I was looking for!

Oh, and that's almost better than the 4-way switch I have on my other Tele - I use the series position as a built-in "boost" for solos, with that kind of wiring scheme I can leave the 3-way in my preferred position for rhythm, and just pull out the pot for solos...

Now I just need to figure out how to transform the wiring of the Tele 3-way switch in the diagram to a Gibson toggle-switch, but that should be easy...

Old June 26th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Series / Parallel Push-Pull

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanS View Post
I use the series position as a built-in "boost" for solos, with that kind of wiring scheme I can leave the 3-way in my preferred position for rhythm, and just pull out the pot for solos...
I like it set up the other way: Parallel out and Series in so I can push down the pot for solos - uses fewer right-hand fingers.

Ken
kennl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Just a quick bit of advice...make sure you stick with a push-pull pot as I've gone through three push-push pots in very short order. They just don't seem to last. I had one installed and just let the guitar sit for awhile (a month or so) and when I started to play the guitar I noticed the pot wouldn't stay pushed in. And I had just had it changed for that very reason! I also had to have one replaced on another guitar. Perhaps others have had better luck with push-push pots. I'm gonna' stick with push-pull pots in the future.

Tom
jumpnblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnblues View Post
Just a quick bit of advice...make sure you stick with a push-pull pot as I've gone through three push-push pots in very short order. They just don't seem to last. I had one installed and just let the guitar sit for awhile (a month or so) and when I started to play the guitar I noticed the pot wouldn't stay pushed in. And I had just had it changed for that very reason! I also had to have one replaced on another guitar. Perhaps others have had better luck with push-push pots. I'm gonna' stick with push-pull pots in the future.

Tom
Yeah, actually you're not the first one to tell me about these problems with push-push pots - seems to be a common problem, so I'll defrinitely use push-pull.

Old June 26th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

OMG! I know I've finally "been made" when the venerable Terry Downs links to one of my drawings!

Old June 26th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Eddie View Post
OMG! I know I've finally "been made" when the venerable Terry Downs links to one of my drawings!
Oh...get outta town!! You are a valuable resource to this forum. We appreciate your knowledge and help. Great website you have too BTW.

Old July 22nd, 2007, 12:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

OK, I'm officially too stupid for wiring guitars...

I finished wiring my new Thinline (see the thread about it in the main forum) following Deaf Eddie's diagram - http://www.deaf-eddie.net/drawings/tele-series.jpg - but using an ON/ON/ON type mini switch (the diagram shows a regular Tele 3-way switch) - now, if I pull the pot for series, all I get is the neck pickup by itself... Probably did something wron when trying to transfer the diagram from Tele 3-way to mini-switch; anybody have an idea which wire should go where with that type of switch?

Old July 22nd, 2007, 02:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Probably the p/p...

I don't think your problem is with the on/on/on - it sounds like you haven't lifted the ground completely on the neck pup, OR you mis-wired the p/p.

The ground lead from the neck pup should NOT go to ground anywhere, it should only go to the p/p. The p/p will switch it between the circuit's ground and the bridge pup's hot lead.

I redid my drawing to show it wired with an on/on/on toggle:
series w/push/pull using on/on/on toggle for pup selector

Last edited by Deaf Eddie; July 23rd, 2007 at 01:26 PM.
Deaf Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, thanks Eddie, perfect - now I can see what I did wrong I connected both the pink and the purple wires on the diagram to both of the neighbouring lugs (those that are empty on your drawing).

BTW, no ground-lift problem, since I'm not using Tele-Pickups on that guitar, but a CharlieChristian at the neck and a P90 at the bridge.

Thanks again for your great help!

Old July 22nd, 2007, 04:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Fixed it, works now (also had to fix another mistake I made - I had mixed up the black/negative wires from the bridge and neck pickups...).

Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnblues View Post
Just a quick bit of advice...make sure you stick with a push-pull pot as I've gone through three push-push pots in very short order. They just don't seem to last... I'm gonna' stick with push-pull pots in the future.

Tom
I also had a push/push pot done to my Tele for the parallel/series wiring. Mine worked great, but I just didn't care for the "grainy" sound". Went back to the 3-way switch, and haven't looked back since!

http://www.myspace.com/francisbalagtas
franchelB is offline   Reply With Quote