Beginner Tele Neck Question - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 2nd, 2007, 01:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Beginner Tele Neck Question

I am currently improving on a squier standard tele and have bought new pickups and the whole deal. however, I am stuck an issue regarding the neck. on the neck which is currently on the guitar, the fretboard portion of the neck extends longer than the neck itself, like this:

and I was wondering if it really mattered if I purchased a neck without that little overhang and if it would fit fine. any ideas?

swood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2007, 01:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

What you have there is a 22 fret neck. The 21 fret neck you desire should fit just fine. I just replaced a neck but went the other way. I replaced a 21 fret with a 22 and had no problems.

Please don't take my word as gospel as I am fairly new to this myself but if there are any problems the many people with great knowledge here will chime in.

Good luck,

Dan
Daddydex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
GTO
Tele-Holic

Yes, the overhang is to fit the 22nd fret on without having to have an entirely different body with a longer neck pocket route just for 22 fret guitars.

Most 21 fret and 22 fret necks are easily interchangeable so long as you keep in the same 'family', like don't mix a Squire neck with a Fender, or a CIJ neck with an MIM body. I'm not saying they won't fit, and they often do, but to make them play well it is more often the case shims and other tweaks are needed. So given you needed to ask the question, you may not want to get into that just yet.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting