Fret buzz troubleshoot - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.
   

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY


Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com


Forum Jump


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 1st, 2007, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: memphis
Age: 30
Posts: 52
Fret buzz troubleshoot

Last night I installed an allparts neck on my tele project and strung it up....It seems to play perfect up to the 6th-7th fret, any string fretted after that touches the frets and buzzes like a sitar.

would this more than likely be a saddle adjustment? the neck doesn't seem to have any bowing problems...but the saddles are fairly high as it is.

inscho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2007, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity
 
Jack Wells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Albuquerque, USA
Age: 70
Posts: 18,422
Could be saddle height .................could be lack of relief (upbow of the neck........ you want a little). Capo first fret and hold down string at last fret. You should have a gap between 8th fret and string.
__________________
.

Disclaimer: When I say something.... always ask yourself ..... "What the hell does he know?"
I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person.
I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea.
Jack Wells is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2007, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: memphis
Age: 30
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwells393 View Post
Could be saddle height .................could be lack of relief (upbow of the neck........ you want a little). Capo first fret and hold down string at last fret. You should have a gap between 8th fret and string.
excellent! I'll check that when I get off work...it did seem to have a little bit of bow...but I assumed it was normal.

now for a really rediculous question...if I do in fact need to adjust the truss rod, how do I access it on a tele?

you adjust at the body right? I can see maybe 1/2 of it with the pickguard off...there isn't a notch in my tele body to get to it....
inscho is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting
 

Old March 1st, 2007, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity
 
Jack Wells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Albuquerque, USA
Age: 70
Posts: 18,422
I have no personal experience with AllParts necks. I don't know what sort of tool is required for the heel adjustment. If you can't access it, you may have to remove the neck. You might consider cutting the notch between the neck pocket and pickup cavity.
__________________
.

Disclaimer: When I say something.... always ask yourself ..... "What the hell does he know?"
I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person.
I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea.
Jack Wells is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2007, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 184
my guess would be that you have two things wrong
-bridge saddles too low causing buzzing to the frets above 6
-relief too high allowing the strings to slill sound on the lower frets despite the low saddles

Check relief and set (you will need to remove or loosen the neck bolts) then raise the saddles as necessary.
jeffhigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2007, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: memphis
Age: 30
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwells393 View Post
I have no personal experience with AllParts necks. I don't know what sort of tool is required for the heel adjustment. If you can't access it, you may have to remove the neck. You might consider cutting the notch between the neck pocket and pickup cavity.
its like the one on the right:

inscho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2007, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
photoweborama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Age: 56
Posts: 2,896
On those types of necks, I've taken them off to adjust them. It is a pain because you have to string it up again to see if you have it right. May have to do it few times. Then dump your strings because they can get weak and intonation can go off when they have been slacked and re-tightened over and over again.

When I wrote for the mag, I had to change pickups and wiring a lot and I leaned this the hard way..

I know it is hind sight now, but they do make a modern neck with the adjustment at the headstock, instead of the vintage location.
__________________
"The Best Guitar Photos On The Net"
http://photoweborama.wordpress.com
photoweborama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2007, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: memphis
Age: 30
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffhigh View Post
my guess would be that you have two things wrong
-bridge saddles too low causing buzzing to the frets above 6
-relief too high allowing the strings to slill sound on the lower frets despite the low saddles

Check relief and set (you will need to remove or loosen the neck bolts) then raise the saddles as necessary.
when you say the relief is too high...do you mean the neck is bowed up too much? I don't think thats the case, because the neck didn't appear to be bowed anymore than it should be....looks the same as my other guitars that have been professionally setup by a tech.

I'll cross my fingers that its just the saddles.
inscho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2007, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: memphis
Age: 30
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoweborama View Post
On those types of necks, I've taken them off to adjust them. It is a pain because you have to string it up again to see if you have it right. May have to do it few times. Then dump your strings because they can get weak and intonation can go off when they have been slacked and re-tightened over and over again.

When I wrote for the mag, I had to change pickups and wiring a lot and I leaned this the hard way..

I know it is hind sight now, but they do make a modern neck with the adjustment at the headstock, instead of the vintage location.
yeah that does seem like a pain...luckily the neck only cost me 150 with the tuners and hardware.

thanks everyone for the advice!
inscho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: memphis
Age: 30
Posts: 52
I raised the saddles and it still buzzed...there was in fact too much relief on the neck...I adjusted the truss rod and now there is no buzz up to the 15th fret.

so there is some improvement
inscho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity
 
woodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mint Hill, NC
Age: 68
Posts: 13,830
you may need a reverse shim -- one up toward the neck end of the pocket.
__________________
Truth is stranger than fact ...
It pays to appease all the gods Gnossos Pappadopoulis

YouTube channel Originals
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: memphis
Age: 30
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman View Post
you may need a reverse shim -- one up toward the neck end of the pocket.
I guess I'll have to take it to my tech anyways...
inscho is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

/td>

» Random Photo for Guests
Epi Valve Junior and Smokey
Untitled Document



 


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



IMPORTANT:Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult! No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
© TDPRI.COM 1999 - 2014 All rights reserved.