|August 29th, 2006, 04:46 PM||#1 (permalink)|
Doctor of Teleocity
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Albuquerque, USA
*Another Pickup Repair*
The Nashville Telecaster I discussed in my other pickup repair thread also had a neck pickup that didn't work. Below is my repair of the neck pickup.
1. The neck pickup was removed and the pickup wires pulled up through the center hole.
2. Preparing to unsolder the ground jumper from the cover tab.
3. Ground jumper unsoldered.
4. Here's the pickup with the cover removed. I did a visual inspection and saw no damage to the windings.
5. I checked the pickup with an ohms meter ............. it appeared to be OK.
6. Sound check. With the pickup attached to an amp, I tap the pole pieces with a screwdriver. It appears to be working. I reinstalled the cover and was about to solder the ground jumper back onto the cover tab but decided to check it with an ohm meter again. It read near zero. I removed the jumper ......... It went back to 6.3K. Hmmmm ........... The insulation must have been rubbed off some of the outer windings and the cover was shorting out the pickup.
7. Who needs it? ............ I decided to leave the ground jumper off.
8. Putting it all back together. I put the guitar completely back together ........all pickguard screws and the control plate. Plugged it into an amp ....... tuned it up and tried all switch positions........... all pickups worked. However, when my finger touched the neck pickup I got a lot of noise.
9. Here I've once again removed the pickup and wrapped electrical tape around the windings. I probably could have sprayed the windings with lacquer but this was faster and a sure fix.
10. Here I've resoldered the ground jumper to the cover tab. The clamps prevent the pickup from jumping and sticking to the soldering iron.
11. Ready for installation. This time it worked and is quiet when I touch the pickup.
I guess these two exercises show me that just because a pickup is dead, you don't have to scrap it.
Disclaimer: When I say something.... always ask yourself ..... "What the hell does he know?"
I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person.
I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea.
Last edited by Jack Wells; August 31st, 2006 at 03:08 PM.
Join Date: March, 2003
Location: Forum HQ
IMPORTANT:Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult! No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.