MIA neck on a MIM body - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 7th, 2014, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

MIA neck on a MIM body

I'm slapping together a "parts" Cabronita, and I prefer the MIA necks over the MIM necks. Will a MIA telecaster neck fit on a MIM tele body without any mods/shims/bolt re-routing?

Zillinois is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2014, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

double post

Old January 7th, 2014, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Yes it will
drvoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 7th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Formerly known as Eryque
Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, with the caveat that all bodies and necks are made within tolerances, and that wood swells and shrinks over time. Not all necks fit all bodies the same. Sometimes you'll have a sloppy fit, sometimes they'll overlap and you'll have to trim the pocket.

Parts & Pickups

www.kokoteleguitarworks.com
KokoTele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Telefied

I once again invoke the "19 in 20" rule. Even parts of two American Standards don't like to be swapped guitar to guitar sometimes. Since you're "slapping" it together and its a Cabronita (no pick guard issues) your probability of basic success is even higher.

But.

I find that MIMs tend to anticipate a little taller neck, i.e., a neck with more space under the strings at the bridge pickup, than does an American Standard which is a "modern" Tele and calls out for a more "slammed" setup. Thus if you do need a shim (very small back shim, maybe) I wouldn't be shocked or too upset. Most Cabs have fairly low saddles next to something like a No-Caster, so that's in your favor. If the USA neck is from an American Special or Highway One, the issue could be a wee bit smaller still, or I should say, the frets will be what is drawing your attention! :^)

Question: How do your other Teles set up? Do you like the saddles high, medium or low? The lower you like them, the higher the probability the neck will bolt right up.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

By "saddles height", I assume you mean "action". I tend to keep my action about "medium", mainly because I play 11s.

Old January 8th, 2014, 11:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillinois View Post
By "saddles height", I assume you mean "action". I tend to keep my action about "medium", mainly because I play 11s.
I see players with the height of the strings above the plane of the body really over a large spectrum. Some guys want the strings real low (slammed) against the body and others want it sky high so they can get under the strings and really pop them - that "country tele" sound everyone knows. Some guitar models lend themselves to the one, some more to the other. The action on a "slammed" guitar usually comes from factory amounts of relief to the neck - while the "country" guitar runs very little relief and the neck is just fitted where it isn't strictly parallel to the plane of the body. I guess the "slammed" guitar uses lower action, but to me that's not the primary thing distinguishing these two themes or types of setups.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

hmm, I never really thought of it that way before. I'll give it a shot and report back.