String buzzing - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 25th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

String buzzing

My top E string is buzzing. It sounds a bit like a sitar, and if I fret each note, it doesnít vary a huge amount Ė they all make the same sort of noise. The other strings are fine. When playing through an amp itís quite a ringing noise, and if I twang the bass strings in an open E chord the top E seems to resonate and starts ringing even though my fingers are nowhere near it.

Itís a nice quality guitar which was well set up when I got it, and itís got a hefty maple neck, but I havenít played it much before Ė still on the original strings. Itís not been subject to any variation in temperature. I suppose itís just needing a minor tweak, but Iím not sure if the saddle needs to be raised slightly (itís got titanium compensated saddles), or if it might need a truss rod tweak.

I probably wonít attempt anything myself Ė Iíve never been able to work out how to fix guitars, but from past experience thereís no-one local to me Iíd trust. Iíll probably have to book up to take it somewhere Ďreputableí but itíd be good to know what it might be needed before I arrange anything.

nashd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Yes, it sounds like the high E saddle has to be raised. This really is a user adjustment. You should not have to go to a tech to raise a saddle.

Old November 25th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmando View Post
Yes, it sounds like the high E saddle has to be raised. This really is a user adjustment. You should not have to go to a tech to raise a saddle.
I had a Tele that had the same issue. Thought it was the nut for the longest time. It ended up in the saddle. You can fix it.
PaulStrattele is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 25th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks. If it's just the saddle height then I might have a go at this myself.

Will raising it very slightly mean the intonation will go out?

Also, what effect will it have on the B string (with the compensated saddle)?

Old November 25th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

No, intonation should not be affected by raising the saddle a little. If the B string gets too high, lower the B side of the saddle If you look at the saddles from the strap button end, they should follow the radius of the fretboard. I'm guessing your E/B saddle is too low on the E side.

Old November 25th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I'd also suggest looking at how the string sits in the nut especially since it's the high E. That sitar like buzz you describe may sound like it's coming from the saddle but often the problem is in the nut because the string has cut into it too deeply and it's sitting too low.

One approach to fixing the problem without replacing the nut (probably the only permanent solution) is to put a very small piece of paper or cloth in the string slot so it raises the string off the bottom of the nut very slightly. If the buzz goes away that where your problem is coming from.

One of my Teles has that problem with the G and D strings depending on the strings I was using at the time. A small bit of paper in the slot took care of it until I could recut a nut.
CS Nocaster; "Nashcaster"; MP Thinline; MIM/Nashville; Squier CVC; Lenti Esquire; Peavey Generation Custom EX, Taylor 214ce-dlx; Breedlove C250cme; Roland Cube 40xl; Roland Blues Cube; Bugera v5; Ampeg GVT-112e, CV JBass; CV PBass; tc BG250 1x15 Bass Amp.
soulman969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman969 View Post
I'd also suggest looking at how the string sits in the nut especially since it's the high E. That sitar like buzz you describe may sound like it's coming from the saddle but often the problem is in the nut because the string has cut into it too deeply and it's sitting too low. One approach to fixing the problem without replacing the nut (probably the only permanent solution) is to put a very small piece of paper or cloth in the string slot so it raises the string off the bottom of the nut very slightly. If the buzz goes away that where your problem is coming from. One of my Teles has that problem with the G and D strings depending on the strings I was using at the time. A small bit of paper in the slot took care of it until I could recut a nut.
If it's a bone nut you can mix some bone dust with some super glue to make a paste and refill the slot. I saw a video on YouTube of Dan Erlewine doing just that. Although it might have been a different material but I seem to remember it being bone. It's a cheap quick fix compared to a new nut
Chritty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chritty View Post
If it's a bone nut you can mix some bone dust with some super glue to make a paste and refill the slot. I saw a video on YouTube of Dan Erlewine doing just that. Although it might have been a different material but I seem to remember it being bone. It's a cheap quick fix compared to a new nut
Hadn't thought of that fix Chris. Good idea if he has some files to cut a new slot with.
CS Nocaster; "Nashcaster"; MP Thinline; MIM/Nashville; Squier CVC; Lenti Esquire; Peavey Generation Custom EX, Taylor 214ce-dlx; Breedlove C250cme; Roland Cube 40xl; Roland Blues Cube; Bugera v5; Ampeg GVT-112e, CV JBass; CV PBass; tc BG250 1x15 Bass Amp.
soulman969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

So it turns out I wasn't quite correct.

Here's the link to the video

Worth a watch for everyone

http://youtu.be/slCMkvEfK_U

Old November 26th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

In which direction should I turn the height adjustment screw in order to raise the saddle? Also, do I need to slacken the string before making the adjustment?

Old November 26th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

If it doesnīt go away by raising the saddle check if the string isnīt touching the screw on the saddle. Thatīs common if you have a vintage bride, in that case you could file a groove in the bridge to keep the string from sliding onto the bridge screw
kurtmanifest1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashd View Post
In which direction should I turn the height adjustment screw in order to raise the saddle? Also, do I need to slacken the string before making the adjustment?
Slacken the E and B strings. Turn the screw clockwise. Retune the whole guitar and see if it has made a difference. Keep a note on how many turns you have made, that way you can return the saddle to the previous height if it does not work.

Old November 26th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks very much. I did that. The threads are relatively coarse, so I could see the saddle moving even with 1/4 turn. I raised it by 1/4 turn, checked it, then raised it a further 1/4 turn (1/2 turn in total). It seems much better now. I've played it for a while, and I'm now hearing a very slight ringing on the B string, so tomorrow night I might raise that a fraction.