Can too much heat kill a volume pot - UPDATE - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 29th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Can too much heat kill a volume pot - UPDATE

I've soldered at least 6 sets of pups into my tele and during an experiment with different cap values a few weeks ago I noticed a drop in output and fullness in my tele. I don't have a powerful solder iron and I'm wondering if applying so much heat to melt the solder over time as killed the pot and affected the tone ? My iron is 25 watts, if that means anything.

J

UPDATE: Well, I changed out both pots and the capacitor tonight (parts from acme guitars)...and the conclusion...YES, heat can kill, at least harm the output. Both pups sound better, more fullness, much better clarity...so there you have it.

JohnK24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2005, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

John, if you have an ohm meter you can check the pot to verify just how close to 250k you are, the cap may be causing your problem.
Caper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
BB
Friend of Leo's

Re: Can too much heat kill a volume pot ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK24
I've soldered at least 6 sets of pups into my tele and during an experiment with different cap values a few weeks ago I noticed a drop in output and fullness in my tele. I don't have a powerful solder iron and I'm wondering if applying so much heat to melt the solder over time as killed the pot and affected the tone ? My iron is 25 watts, if that means anything.

J
Yes. too much heat can and will destroy a pot. I posted in a different thread about killing several pots when I first strated changing pups back in the 70's. I had no inkling of the proper way to solder ( probably still don't! ) and had a heck of time getting the solder to stick to the pot. I was fortunate enough to have someone come in the store as I was killing yet another and he told me I needed to scratch the pot's surface for better adhesion and invest in something called flux! Still, I couldn't figure out why my pots wouldn't work!

Even though I've changed out probably 50-60 pickups and as many pots and wiring harnesses, I am by no means an expert....but, I do belive a 25 watt gun is still powerful enough to kill a pot.

Hopefully, someone who actually knows will post.
BB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old November 30th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Telefied

Takes alot of heat but it can kill the pot.

WHat I do is solder a lug to the vol pot and then attach all my grounds to that lug. Its way cleaner and you dont have to melt a big pile of solder everytime you wanna change something.

Old November 30th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I tin the spot on the pot where I'll be soldering to, tin the wires and the connection happens almost instantly.

It's important to keep the soldering iron tip clean and tinned. Put a bit of solder on the tip before each joint. Put solder on it when you shut down as well to make the tip last longer.

CTS puts do not need to be sanded or scraped to solder to. Many imported pots do.

I use a 40 watt iron with a screwdriver tip on all guitar electronics and a 25 pencil tip on PCBs.