Questions about my pickups... - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 11th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Questions about my pickups...

Gentlemen I need help trying to figure out my sound. I play a 85-6 Squier Strat.
I cannot duplicate the sound/tone. I have tried countless other guitars in the band and I always get voted down because they cannot compete with the sound of this Strat. I put an ohm meter on these pickups using the guitar cord/1-3-5 switch method and came up with 3.58 on middle (3) and neck (1), came up with a 4.01 reading on bridge (5). That seems like a very low reading.
However, this guitar seems like it whispers to you while playing. I religiously use the (4) position, nothing else, except a Boss pedal when gigging. It is very bold....It's warm, full....and has a whisper in it's tone. Not weak at all, even when hitting it hard. I want new pickups for my Tele but don't want to spend a boatload of money chasing this particular sound. I assume they are alnico because the strings don't individually slap you in the face like my LP wDimarzio's did. I'm beside myself. Could these S-S-S pickups be wired series? I'm afraid to take the guitar apart for fear that I will jinx something. If it ain't broke don't fix it! Could different tone caps make the difference? I'm working on my Tele trying to recreate this sound, I think I'm close but no whisper. I had to use 1 full HB (8.5 k) in the bridge and I used a 7 dollar dual rail pup(12.4 k) in the middle, bridge parallel/middle series. It seems close but still needs more "balls" and super highs to be more pronounced. Giving all info I can. Sorry for the long post. This just might be a job for "Deaf Eddie"

Peavey458 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Ya' got me because I can't see how that combination of pickups on a Nashville Tele setup could even come close to the tonality you get out of your Strat.
CS Nocaster; "Nashcaster"; MP Thinline; MIM/Nashville; Squier CVC; Lenti Esquire; Peavey Generation Custom EX, Taylor 214ce-dlx; Breedlove C250cme; Roland Cube 40xl; Roland Blues Cube; Bugera v5; Ampeg GVT-112e, CV JBass; CV PBass; tc BG250 1x15 Bass Amp.
soulman969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks Soulman969, It turns out after a WHOLE LOT more research that I do infact have true "Fender Stratocaster" Pickups in my Squier. I was wrong about the resistance....it is actually 5.05k. I found another complete set "used" on ebay so.....I'm going to replace everything in my Tele and hopefully get what I am looking for. I was able to almost perfectly "Dial In" the Tele with the 2 Humbuckers....I used a 6 band EQ pedal and upped the the #2 slide just a hair and the number #6 (high) slide quite a bit. It's hard to believe the humbuckers are that weak. I appreciate your time and wanted to let anyone know who reads this post....Just what I found out.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 25th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I got IT!! I replaced the bridge and middle humbuckers with 2 "MIM" Strat pickups and ran them in series. They have the punchy lows and singing highs that my Strat does. I wired it with a 3way gibson style switch and an S-1 switch to turn on the middle pickup. I now have: S-1 switch off:(1. Bridge, 2. Bridge/Neck, 3. Neck) S-1 switch on:(1. Bridge/Middle series, 2. Bridge/Middle/Neck, 3. Middle/Neck Series). I feel I have the best of both worlds,
A Tele that sounds like a Tele, and a True Strat sound out of the same Tele! The interesting thing is unlike a Strat in the neck/middle position, I get a bridge/middle tone with a whole lot more LOW END, which I am definetly not complaining about!

Here's my pics.
(Due to the humbucker bridge assy., I installed a solid chrome cover over the single coil bridge pickup.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1244.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	163214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1246.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	163215  

Old January 26th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Great glad you found your solution. FWIW the Onamac Tall Blues Tele set in my Nashville both read 7.5k and the middle is RW/RP Alnico V out of a '96 Strat that reads 6.06 so I you could understand why I couldn't believe you'd have success matching such over wound pickups.

I may eventually replace the middle with an Onamac Strat pickup as well but for now I'm getting a nice sound from that combination. But I may find just a little better match for the middle.
CS Nocaster; "Nashcaster"; MP Thinline; MIM/Nashville; Squier CVC; Lenti Esquire; Peavey Generation Custom EX, Taylor 214ce-dlx; Breedlove C250cme; Roland Cube 40xl; Roland Blues Cube; Bugera v5; Ampeg GVT-112e, CV JBass; CV PBass; tc BG250 1x15 Bass Amp.

Old January 27th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Soulman, I've not heard of the Onamac pickups, but then again, for 23 years playing that strat, I never thought of touching the pickups to find out if I could even get "better". I've always had that "I don't know what I would do if....." syndrome with the strat. Hearing and playing other's REAL strats always made me cringe at the thought of having to buy a new one. I am however very curious about the 57/62 reissue fender pickups....because they say "Punchy lows and singing highs". That's exactly what I think I want.
So when you mention the Onamac pickups.....You've got my attention for sure.
But I may be a different breed because I want the absolute sound of a ballsy 4th position Strat but with the beauty of a Tele body. What do the Onamac pickups give...that the stock ones didn't? Educate me, because I will upgrade at some point and would like to know what I'm looking at.

Old January 27th, 2013, 05:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Onamacs are wound by a guy by the name of Kerry Learned out in Washington State. He's a Strat player and wasn't happy with what he found as far as pickups go so he began doing his own winds and eventually began to sell them.

Most of his winds are Strat sets but he has two Tele sets. The Tall Blues that I have and a Vintage Tele set. I guess the names sort of describes his approach to each. Let's just say that the bridge in the Tall Blues has a nice growl to it and can nasty up real nice when you push it. They're very transparent sounding like Keystones but where Keystones tend more toward the smooth bluesy side the Onamacs get a little grittier when you want but the B/N in parallel is just incredibly clean and chimey.

I'm gonna give you some links so you can research them like I did. This is pretty much how I decided that what I wanted in my Nashville.

The first is Kerry's Ebay site; http://myworld.ebay.com/klea3031/ You can look over his sets and his pricing and even contact him directly if you wish. He will do custom winds and consult with buyers and make suggestions. At $85 for a Tele set and $99 for a Strat set these are one hell of a bargain. The quality is superb.

This is the thread on The Gear Page where I read these reviews from guys who have bought and played them. It starts out with some criticism and doubt about who the OP is and why he's touting them so much but as it turns out he was spot on. It's a long thread and my reviews aren't until around page 26 or 27 or so if you want to skip to that point you can read what I had to say but the whole thread is worth reading. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho....php?t=1036939

And last but not least is a friend I've met since doing a demo with the Tall Blues set that is actually in my Nashville. Those pickups he's playing is the set I installed in mine. The guy is a damn fine player too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO88A...1ox3bRE2dLHwPg

Hopefully this will answer some of your questions Peavey and don't hesitate to PM me if I can answer anymore for you. This thread may get buried so it's easier to just converse one on one through a PM.

But safe to say I love the pickups. They kind of filled a hole on the other side of my Nocasters that needed filling and they work great in the Nashville set up. I'll probably end up getting a Strat pickup from Kerry soon just to match it better with the Tele set. What's in there now is just a RW/RP middle Alnico V from a '96 Strat.

Old February 4th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks Soulman, I'm going to give these links some serious time. It seems the more I play my tele, the more I'm wanting just a little bit more out of it. So I am definetely in the market now, although it will take a little time, I will be in touch shortly, I am out of town at the moment for a few more days. Thanks for the information

Old February 4th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peavey458 View Post
Thanks Soulman, I'm going to give these links some serious time. It seems the more I play my tele, the more I'm wanting just a little bit more out of it. So I am definetely in the market now, although it will take a little time, I will be in touch shortly, I am out of town at the moment for a few more days. Thanks for the information
No problem brother. Just passing along something I found some real satisfaction in as it was passed along to me. Anytime.