Wiring a standard tele 3 way - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 9th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Wiring a standard tele 3 way

Ok so I buy this "old" tele, and about the only thing I can say about it is it is indeed old, 20+ years. Nice corosion in all the right places and take off the pg and it is bright under where the guard has set on top of the paint and the paint is pretty much faded from an off white to a really old looking yellow.

So it don't work to well. Take off the control plate and it is all original but very very static y. Use CRC cleaner and no help. So I have a pre wired harness on a control plate and all I have to do is connect the leads to the posts on the switch. I have tried about every single conceivable combo and the best I can get is both pickups on to varying degrees depending on where I connect the leads to the posts. My current connection pattern is neck lead soldered between the 2nd and 3rd posts, the bridge lead connected between the 6th and 7th posts and the white wire from the vol pot soldered to the 5th post. The grounds from both pickups are twisted together and soldered to the back of the vol pot and the ground for the bridge is soldered to the back of the vol pot. I know the jack is correct cause I get sound just not the right combo of sounds.

I've checked the leads to the pups to make sure there is nothing amiss there either. Now this switch is one of those that has the 8 solder tabs all in a row. The original is a box with little tabs on the sides that appears all correct to me for as much as I know about something like that. So any help is appreciated. thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130109_143819.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	160422  

Last edited by longbow; January 9th, 2013 at 03:50 PM.
longbow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

If you grab me a couple of Birdseye view pictures of both ill have a look for you!

Old January 9th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Looks like you have wired the switch wrong. Also have you earthed the tone pot?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3104774433.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	160464

If top to bottom is 1 - 8 respectively, you've wired 2 to and 3 together plus the neck pickup, when it should be 1 and 2 plus neck pickup. The above diagram should help you!

I would suggest rewiring the old electronics as the ones in the picture look a bit cheap and cheerful!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 9th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

YEp this is turning out to be a cluster. The originals show a box with the tabs on the side of the box. They are numbered too. However the fella that owned this axe hadn't played it in many many moons so it was crudded up and wired a wee bit scrogged as near as I could tell. I wanted to just see what it sounded like.

The way it is wired now the bridge seems perfect to me but the neck pup is a bit thin. So I'll take it apart tomorrow a.m. and fool around with it. Near as I can figure it is a very early off shore tele from the late 70's or early 80's. At least the body and electronics seem to be and that was the best guess of a Fender CSR I talked with. I can't get the neck off of it too look though. But because it adjusts on top that may be a later neck. Like late 80's or something. thanks man I appreciate the help

Old January 10th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Looking at how you've wired it, I think the bridge pickup is bypassing the middle position and going straight to output.

Old January 10th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Well did that combo. and still getting the neck and bridge together in the second and third positions. It doesn't seem to matter if I solder the 7&8 tab together or the 6&7 together, or the 2 and 3 or 1 and 2. The ground from the vol pot on 4 and 5 or just 4 or just 5.

So I am going to put the original back in and mess around with that. I think I can get to work but with lots of static so maybe new pots. Frustrated I'll tell ya. Nice full sound though. thanks man

Old January 10th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

It shouldn't be a ground, it should be from the outer lug of the vol pot to the 4 and 5th positions (looking at it from the connector side, with earth side up it's the left hand lug).

I'm sure the original components would've only needed the odd cold solder joint repaired. Theres not a lot to go wrong.

Where in the world are you?

Old January 10th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Roch. NY near the shore of Lake Ontario, and this spring summer and fall I shall be on the shore of Lake Ontario! Can't believe this is be-deviling me so. thanks

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'd pop up but it's a bit of a trek from Sussex, UK!! I'm sure you'll get it sussed. What I'd do is start again from afresh following a diagram exactly. I'm not sold on a lot of these harnesses. It's hard to tell from the low quality picture but in sure the switch is wired wrong, and I think there is no earth to the back of tone pot.

You'll sort it!