changing necks - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 6th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

changing necks

I own a 2011 MIM 60th anniversary tele. I would like to replace the factory neck with a warmoth. Has any one and I'm sure someone has,changed one without an issue. The only thought I have, do the body holes line up with the warmoth neck. Thanks in advance, Bob.

sledgehammer347 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Bob, it should line right up. The pocket dimensions and hole pattern are standardized. Accuracy not guaranteed, of course.
You'll never make a wife to a home lovin' man.
Ricky D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgehammer347 View Post
I own a 2011 MIM 60th anniversary tele. I would like to replace the factory neck with a warmoth. Has any one and I'm sure someone has,changed one without an issue. The only thought I have, do the body holes line up with the warmoth neck. Thanks in advance, Bob.
There will be no problem with Warmoth or USACG. They are made to be direct replacement.

I've had problems with the butt of Allparts Strat necks being a slightly different contour than the body's neck pocket but still the holes lined up fine.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 7th, 2013, 04:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Telefied

Bob, the USACG necks naturally come without holes, as do the Allparts necks; the Warmoths are predrilled or were the last time I ordered.

I actually prefer to drill my own holes. In this way, you can optimize the fitting. I'm sure if you request of Warmoth that they not be predrilled, they'll comply.
boris bubbanov is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

What boris said! Except, I didnt know Warmoth did pre-drill them. Shows how much attention I pay. I own 2 Warmoth necks.
bendecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I just finished a build using a Warmoth. Perfect fit.
lineboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

This is an extremely rare occasion where I disagree with Boris, but perhaps I can give some insight as a novice rather than a more experienced builder.

This might have changed since but the option of drilled neck holes was available to me when I ordered a neck from USACG in 2008. I remember speaking with someone there about it and they said it should fit my Fender body but could not guarantee it or did not recommend it be predrilled because it wasn't a body of their own.

Before I finally I got to that neck, I had successfully drilled at least two other necks before. Maybe I was being less careful that day due to overconfidence, but either the neck slipped or the holes in the body allowed too much wiggle-room. I had drilled neck holes that did not go in at a 90 degree angle. It still bothers me that my $330 custom neck isn't perfect and needed to be doweld and redrilled.

I have never found a warmoth neck that had holes in the wrong place to fit a fender body and USACG should be of the same precision. If they didn't line up with the body, I would be more suspect of Fender inconsistency than either of these neck manufacturers.

This is your first aftermarket neck. If it is warmoth or USACG it will probably cost about as much as your guitar would bring in used. A justified price IMO as the neck is the most important and personalized part of your guitar. Get it drilled with holes at the factory rather than trying to do it yourself. In the long run, you may very well change bodies.

Long story short (if you've made it this far). Warmoth or USACG pre-drilled necks should work with 99% of Fender guitars out there when your home drilled version has the chance to only work either with your MIM Classic or none at all after that first drilling.

Old January 12th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
PJ
Friend of Leo's

I can go either way, but the pre-drilled Warmoths I've used have been perfect - easiest neck installs I've ever done.