measurements - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 31st, 2012, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

measurements

I recently built a strat with a 25.5 scale length. when measuring from the nut to the middle of the mounting screws it measured 25.25 for it to come out right for intonation. I am now building a telecaster and I am wondering if the measurements would be the same since it is also a 25.5 scale. I have a joe barden vintage style bridge (3 brass saddles) to go on it. heres a shot of the body so you can see how its been drilled. I believe they call this the modern bridge route since the holes are four mounting screws in front of the string holes. The neck i have coming has not been drilled for mounting so i wanna make sure i get all the measurements proper as to not run into issues later. Thanks.

custom/59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2013, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

so no one is gonna chime in and answer this question?

Old January 1st, 2013, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Patience is a virtue.
It's New Years and folk have other things going on. Give it a day or so for the experts to respond.
My 5 cents are:
Forget the nut to mounting holes measurement on the Strat, there is a lot of intonation adjustment available on the Tele bridge.
The bridge mounting holes are predrilled so unless you fill and redrill the bridge placement is fixed. As this is through body you won't have a great deal of adjustment without opening out the through body holes.
Wait for the neck, fit it and establish a center line which is where I am a bit worried as the wood strip between the two main body timbers which I would expect to be centered is not in the middle of the bridge fixing holes and through body string holes. This could be purely cosmetic but the neck/bridge alignment is critical.
BTW this bridge drilling is vintage not modern. Modern is 3 or 5 hole.
Like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3_bridge_comparison_sm.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	159109  
Tuxedo Poly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 1st, 2013, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Go to Stewmac: http://www.stewmac.com/
click on "bridges, tailpieces", click on "non-trem bridges", click on "Traditional bridges for Tele", scroll down to "Positioning the bridge" and click on "Fret position calculator".
Enter number of frets, scale length and electric guitar. Click on "Calculate". Scroll dow to find the type of bridge you are using and it will show the corresponding distance from the nut to mounting screws.
Glen Smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2013, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

forgive the impatience wasnt thinking about it being new years thanks glen for the stewmac guide. I had looked at that but didnt scroll down far enough to see it had what i was looking for. The stripe not being centered i believe is primarily cosmetic. if you are looking at the bottom of the guitar you can see where the top slid slightly off center . Im going to guess during the glue stages. wont know for sure til neck is here and on the guitar and looking at the centerline. Looked it up on stewmac and or a vintage style bridge its 25.75. thats interesting. Thanks.

Old January 1st, 2013, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Your measurement would be 25.75" +or- 0.030"
Glen Smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2013, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

lol thanks Glen we posted that around the same time.